Is an R1 a good next step?

Blue'87GT

Registered
Looking to take the next step on my journey to owning a visa. I went from a dirt bike to a Honda ruckus to a Honda CB400. Now I found a good deal on an R1. Is an R1 a good next step?
Posted via Mobile Device

Looking to take the next step on my journey to owning a visa. I went from a dirt bike to a Honda ruckus to a Honda CB400. Now I found a good deal on an R1. Is an R1 a good next step?
Posted via Mobile Device

That totally depends on your skills and maturity but I dont understand how getting a new bike is gonna help you in your journey to own a "visa".

Well, it's a completely different type of ride from what you're used to. If I was you, I'd get an R6 or a CBR600RR first. The R1 is lightening fast and has razor-sharp handling. (I've ridden the 2010 model and loved it.)

That totally depends on your skills and maturity but I dont understand how getting a new bike is gonna help you in your journey to own a "visa".

^^ More "autocorrect" Fail.

If you can ride the R1 you can ride the busa. I remember when you first started this discussion. How long have you been riding now?

Wow how does Busa change to visa? So an R1 is a huge jump. Maybe I should just save my dough and get a Busa ...
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow how does Busa change to visa? So an R1 is a huge jump. Maybe I should just save my dough and get a Busa ...
Posted via Mobile Device

You posted via mobile device, auto correct fail. Not your fault. My advice, save your dough and get a busa.

Oh, and as for maturity I'm 37, been in the USAF 16 years, and have no intention of putting my life, family, or career on the line. Just want to take logical steps towards owning my dream bike!
Posted via Mobile Device

any reason why you're not looking at getting a Busa now?

I have looked at two here on island. Both were way too high priced, even for Okinawa. Really I think that I am being overly cautious, but I think that anyone who doesn't respect the power of a Busa is a fool. Also I think that taking steps up to one is probably a good idea as well. But I really don't want the cramped up, super leaned over riding posture of a 600, etc. Maybe I should just take the leap and get a busa. Even if I pay a bit more, I can just take it back to the USA when I return in two years.
Posted via Mobile Device

IMO don't over step your bounds. each rider feels comfortable on different levels. I started out on a 200cc duel sport then went to a suzuki gs500 and from there I got a Busa. Take the MSF courses before buying that liter bike... you don't have any experience on a sportbike yet, +1 on a 600cc first... i rode the 500 for a year and a half so to me, I felt comfortable stepping up to the busa. it was a hell of a jump and you must respect the throttle hand:rulez: cause it can get hairy quick... whatever you decide just make sure you are prepared, again, take the MSF courses. learn from people who know what they are doing... :thumbsup:

Yep I have taken both the MSF basic and advanced riders courses over the last four years. Riding training was the first thing I did and I think that training is invaluable! Lastly my current ride is a Honda cb400sf. It's a lot like the aforementioned gs500.
Posted via Mobile Device

well then go for it bro! seems you have the maturity and knowledge to move on up... :thumbsup: whatever you pick i'm sure you will enjoy. to me, the R1 isn't much different than the busa, busa has more leg/seat room and is a blast on longer trips. i'd say search for a Busa:laugh: *make sure you get the blue/silver :whistle: we all know it's the fastest color:rulez:

ohio gozai mas!

sounds like you have been preparing rather successfully...
i would go for it!!:thumbsup:
just take it slow at first till you get a feel for the bike and you should be fine.:beerchug:

I have had both...at the same time....An 01 busa and an 07 R1.

The busa, imo is def a bike for the more experienced. The R1 has a throttle restriction in low RPMs and does not allow you to grip it and rip it in low RPMs. You can still wheelie it, but your chances of an inadvertent wheelie are very low because of restriction. The R1 is also a lot lighter and when your turning, it wants to push you straight up out of turns, so your turning recovery time is faster.

The busa feels alot more unrestricted, you can wheelie off the line, and its a lot heaver and lower. Especially if you get a corbin seat, you feel like your "inside" the bike than sitting right on top of it. When you corner, you dont need to throw much weight into the turn (unless its a hard turn). It feels like the bike is getting down for you, but there is more work on recovery when turning in your body weight.

What it comes down to is that there is 2 different riding styles, but if your looking for "the next step", from experience i would go with the R1 before the busa. I had my busa before I had my R1 and I feel like I would have been a much better rider on the busa had I had the R1 first.

Back