Ipad2 compared to others? Is it worth it?

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
So with Christmas coming I got hit with a 'list' this morn :(.
Is the Ipad2 really that much better than the other tablets? Is it worth the addtl $?
Why should I get an Ipad2 and not an HP or Samsung for her?

Signed confused, scared, soon to be broke again dad.

I really like the htc flyer, nice size(7inch screen), nice price 299 and it uses HTC Sense 3.0!

Via Thunderbolt!

the real question my friend is what will it be used for?

Android based ones are coming along nicely but the Apple Ipad2 is still the standard. I have both and while I like the android for some things (flash driven stuff mostly) I all too often find myself packing the ipad for my trips. Its bullet proof, the thing just works, a fact that cannot be overlooked when you are planning to let someone else use it and you are the daddy tech support hotline :) .

Having said that, if you have other apple devices or plan to buy them, the iTunes setup is pretty nice. It does a fine job of centralizing your music, apps, videos, etc. There are certainly limitations to the Apple stuff but again it sorta bakes down to the uses you or she has in mind for it. For school stuff, I know a lot of schools have standardized on the Apple products. Not sure if there are any using android ones yet but I'm sure they will be sometime. Also Facetime is pretty slick. Android has similar apps but having it already native to the product and part of the OS is pretty nice. The limits are that you have to be on a WiFi connection not the cellular one. I know you have family over seas, do they have an android or apple stuff?

three other things to keep in mind.

Accessories and accessibility - Apple stuff can be found most anywhere domestically and abroad. Some model specific android devices...not so much

Warranty and service - These things will get used and yeah at some point most likely injured. An Apple store is an Apple store the world over really, so you can get help most anywhere. The Android systems are usually through a retailer. Just something to think about if the device will be away from said retailer's store area. If you buy an Android, make sure the screen is covered by any warranty and what exactly they do cover.

Timing of purchase. I know you said Christmas but there are a new crop of Windows based tablets on the way. These are rumored to be "game changers" for business users as they will have all of the standard application capability as a normal laptop. For the home user, eh probably less of a big deal. What I think it really means is that prices will start to fluctuate a bit. There's no way corporate America is going to shell out the $$ for a top end tablet when its really just a few hundred off a really nice laptop.

Back