Internet for away laptop

Big Bo

Registered
I would like to be able get on the net when I am away from home with my laptop. How do I achieve this without breaking the bank, or spending too much?

Most if not all laptops have wifi capability. Most hotels, restaurants, school and public libraries, businesses, and lots of homes have unsecure wireless routers. Shouldn't be a problem to do it on the free.

Work limits internet access. I can get on the Org and 1 other site. I will bring my laptop if I can get net access. Long nights equal boring nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What type of phone do you have? You might be able to tether as well..

iphone. I don`t know anything about tethering?

My iphone goes through the CO. router. Not good. That is why I asked about other access.

I wouldn't worry about tethering then. Probably just another thing that the iPhone can't do.. :rofl:

Sorry, anytime I can take a Jab at the iPhone I do, not your fault. :laugh:

the iphone would have to be jailbroken to tether it but there are other phones that can be tethered easier. The sprint service is still the only one with unlimited bandwidth for smart phones (tethering) but like all other things out there you have a limit on cellular modem devices. If the laptop is locked down when you are on the VPN or corp network there's nothing you can do about that really. If it works when you are outside of those two setups then perhaps wifi or a cellular modem are options, assuming of course you can even configure them....sounds like your laptop might be on lockdown too.

I actually carry my ipad with me now and use that more than my laptop when I'm not "working". Perhaps an inexpensive tablet with wifi or cellular connection would be the best route. Fairly cheap to own and use and adds very little weight/size to your kit. If you are doing the road warrior thing, you can look into an IPass account, they seem to work most anywhere. Used to have it with work, it was great for random places/hotels/airports/etc.

Good luck, let us know what way you go :)

Back