INSURANCE - TRACK DAYS NO LONGER COVERED!

Luckily I'm covered by my employer group medical that can't exclude my "dangerous"￾ hobbies.
Guess again Professor! It's in the lovely HIPPA law that they don't HAVE to cover you if you get injured during a high risk activity. Motorcycling is a high risk activity.

I work for a medical insurance company as a programmer and had to install some of the programming changes for HIPPA. I commute to work on my bike so I was really not happy that I had to install changes for the very law that could personally discriminate against me if I were to be in an accident while commuting to work!

There was special wording in the HIPPA act to protect motorcyclist and a last minute tweak reversed the meaning and so now they CAN deny our coverage. This is not just on the track, this is on the street as well.

Granted, I don't think the large group plans through large employers would go to that extreme, but as far as I know, they can!

Deb
Deb,

Mine is a Federal Government Group. I'd better do some checking. There has not been a problem in covering my past motorcross crashes, but that was before HIPPA. I'm 99% sure I'm still covered but you bring up a very good point with most policies.

Rick

I don't know what happened one minute my bike was securely strapped down on my trailer and the next thing I knew it was sliding down the road.
rock.gif

I don't know what happened one minute my bike was securely strapped down on my trailer and the next thing I knew it was sliding down the road.
rock.gif
I'm sure that has been done before. But, a felony insurance fraud conviction is not something I really want to add to my résumé.
winkold.gif

When I made a choice to race it, I take on the responsibility of taking the loss if I destroy it. I know your statement was made tongue-in-cheek. Sadly however, it is no doubt that some people would not hesitate to do it. When my Road King was stolen in 2005, it was amazing the investigation methods used to make sure it was not fraud.

rock.gif
I'm sure that has been done before. But, a felony insurance fraud conviction is not something I really want to add to my résumé.  
winkold.gif

When I made a choice to race it, I take on the responsibility of taking the loss if I destroy it.  I know your statement was made tongue-in-cheek. Sadly however, it is no doubt that some people would not hesitate to do it. When my Road King was stolen in 2005, it was amazing the investigation methods used to make sure it was not fraud.
oh yeah I know what you mean and no I wouldn't do it either. It just sucks. I can see why they wouldn't cover it but at the same time guys are takeing their bikes off the road to play and lessening the chances of bigger cost to the insurance companies.

Deb,

Mine is a Federal Government Group. I'd better do some checking. There has not been a problem in covering my past motorcross crashes, but that was before HIPPA. I'm 99% sure I'm still covered but you bring up a very good point with most policies.

Rick
We administer claims for federal employees. HIPPA is a federal law so... yes.

You might want to be aware but not ask tooooo many questions! ;) and choose your words wisely when filling out the paperwork. I don't me lie, perjure, fraud, just wisely.

I wrecked last year at a track and broke my collarbone. I classified my accident as an off road motorcycle accident. I was off road on a non-street bike. All true statements. I wrecked someone else's bike and I didn't want them to go after the owner for my stupidity! I filled out the paperwork/questionnaire honestly and they didn't pursue it any further. I was fully aware that they had the right to deny it but I'm glad they didn't. Personally I don't expect to see large group plans doing that but the small ones with just a few covered, that I would be concerned about just due to trying to save overall costs.

I've had this argument with people I work with too. They think my coverage should have been denied but the ones that are marathon runners that blow out their knees think they should be covered but a motorcycle injury not. A bicyclist that breaks a collarbone should be covered but not a motorcyclist! Major hot button issue for me!

As for the insurance coverage on my bike at the track, for me it's more so for the other guy. If I wreck my bike it may take some time but I can get it back together without the help of insurance. But what if someone else is injured when I wreck? Who covers them? I want my insurance to cover them if it's supposed to and I don't want to be left liable without insurance even if I have to pay additional to get it.

Deb

If you crash at the track, drag the bike out to the street and call the cops.
beerchug.gif
Damndest thing though, It's called insurance fraud, it's a felony, and yes the police and the Insurance folks will know you're lying and you go to jail...
hello.gif

I know you were kidding but just in case anyone thinks this is a clever or somehow smart decision.

Luckily I'm covered by my employer group medical that can't exclude my "dangerous"￾ hobbies.
Guess again Professor! It's in the lovely HIPPA law that they don't HAVE to cover you if you get injured during a high risk activity. Motorcycling is a high risk activity.

I work for a medical insurance company as a programmer and had to install some of the programming changes for HIPPA. I commute to work on my bike so I was really not happy that I had to install changes for the very law that could personally discriminate against me if I were to be in an accident while commuting to work!

There was special wording in the HIPPA act to protect motorcyclist and a last minute tweak reversed the meaning and so now they CAN deny our coverage. This is not just on the track, this is on the street as well.

Granted, I don't think the large group plans through large employers would go to that extreme, but as far as I know, they can!

Deb
Uh... What?

HIPPA has to do with Privacy, Portability, Administration, and reducing abuse/fraud. I don't believe there was any language in there that has even a LITTLE bit to do with what is or isn't covered. That would have a lot more to do with a particular plan design and that has nothing to do with HIPPA...

I think you're mistaken...

Deb,

Rick
We administer claims for federal employees. HIPPA is a federal law so... yes.

You might want to be aware but not ask tooooo many questions! ;) and choose your words wisely when filling out the paperwork. I don't me lie, perjure, fraud, just wisely.

I wrecked last year at a track and broke my collarbone. I classified my accident as an off road motorcycle accident. I was off road on a non-street bike. All true statements. I wrecked someone else's bike and I didn't want them to go after the owner for my stupidity! I filled out the paperwork/questionnaire honestly and they didn't pursue it any further. I was fully aware that they had the right to deny it but I'm glad they didn't. Personally I don't expect to see large group plans doing that but the small ones with just a few covered, that I would be concerned about just due to trying to save overall costs.

I've had this argument with people I work with too. They think my coverage should have been denied but the ones that are marathon runners that blow out their knees think they should be covered but a motorcycle injury not. A bicyclist that breaks a collarbone should be covered but not a motorcyclist! Major hot button issue for me!

As for the insurance coverage on my bike at the track, for me it's more so for the other guy. If I wreck my bike it may take some time but I can get it back together without the help of insurance. But what if someone else is injured when I wreck? Who covers them? I want my insurance to cover them if it's supposed to and I don't want to be left liable without insurance even if I have to pay additional to get it.

Deb
Again... What?

I don't think you know what HIPAA is or what it's designed to do. Well I don't think you mean HIPAA anyway. It has nothing to do with what Insurance company A or B will or Will not cover, it doesn't even begin to address this.

FWIW

HIPAA
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>

WHAT IS HIPAA?

"HIPAA" is an acronym for the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996 (August 21), Public Law 104-191, which amended the Internal Revenue Service Code of 1986. Also known as the Kennedy-Kassebaum Act, the Act includes a section, Title II, entitled Administrative Simplification, requiring:

1. Improved efficiency in healthcare delivery by standardizing electronic data interchange, and
2. Protection of confidentiality and security of health data through setting and enforcing standards.

More specifically, HIPAA called upon the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) to publish new rules that will ensure:

1. Standardization of electronic patient health, administrative and financial data
2. Unique health identifiers for individuals, employers, health plans and health care providers
3. Security standards protecting the confidentiality and integrity of "individually identifiable health information," past, present or future.

* The bottom line: sweeping changes in most healthcare transaction and administrative information systems.
[/quote]

I'd be careful spooning out advice on insurance practices...

(Revlis @ Aug. 01 2008 @ 6:54 PM) said:
Uh... What?

HIPPA has to do with Privacy, Portability, Administration, and reducing abuse/fraud. I don't believe there was any language in there that has even a LITTLE bit to do with what is or isn't covered. That would have a lot more to do with a particular plan design and that has nothing to do with HIPPA...

I think you're mistaken...
I'd be careful spooning out advice on insurance practices...
(Revlis @ Aug. 01 2008 @ 7:04 PM) said:
Again... What?

I don't think you know what HIPAA is or what it's designed to do. Well I don't think you mean HIPAA anyway. It has nothing to do with what Insurance company A or B will or Will not cover, it doesn't even begin to address this.

First I'm not spooning out advice to anyone, just saying how I've handled things based on what I KNOW.

Second, do your homework before you tell me I don't know what I'm taking about. A dictionary definition does not contain the entire verbiage of the policy. What you stated was the original intent and does not mention or contain the actual harmful verbiage.

The HIPAA Recreational Injury Technical Correction Act => go read this link

If the HIPAA law doesn't contain what I mentioned then why would motorcyclist have been actively trying to enact a reform since its passage?

From the AMA;
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Following the passage of the original HIPAA legislation in 2001, bureaucrats at the Department of Health and Human Services created a loophole that allowed insurance companies to deny benefits to people who are injured while participating in legal recreational activities, such as riding motorcycles or off-road vehicles, horseback riding, skiing, and other activities.[/quote]

If you want to remain in the dark that's fine but perhaps some of the other motorcyclist would like to know this BEFORE they get denied coverage.
Deb

Back