INSURANCE - TRACK DAYS NO LONGER COVERED!

SpeedGeek

Never Forgotten
State Farm (along with a few others) just changed their policies in May '08 to no longer cover track days. They have always covered them in the past, but no more. Other insurance agencies have also covered track days, etc, but are following suit.

This also applies to any closed course training sessions that involve high speed driving or race type instruction etc.

CHECK WITH YOUR AGENTS/POLICIES before doing a track day, or taking an advanced riding school or class.

I just assumed (without ever bothering to look at the policy mind you) that they would not cover anything that happened at the track. It was one of those "Have Fun, but do so at your own risk deals..."

That's probably how it should be anyway. LOL! But they have always covered track days in the past - so long as it isn't racing, timed events etc. Instructional track days have been covered. I even have a couple friends that have crashed and claimed it on their policies and one of them had a totaled ZX-10 and got a brand new bike.

I'm not bashing the insurance companies - I can't blame them because I'm sure people have abused it in the past. I just thought everyone should know in case they are planning to do a track day. THEY ARE NOT COVERED by State Farm. Everyone should call their agent beforehand to verify coverage.

I`m wondering why are they doing so.. It`s less then 1% riders.
and of those riders, how many of them crash? I rarely see a street bike crash on a track day - it's 95% race/track bikes that crash. Most street riders don't push it too hard because they don't want to wad their nice daily rider at a track day.

State Farm (along with a few others) just changed their policies in May '08 to no longer cover track days. They have always covered them in the past, but no more. Other insurance agencies have also covered track days, etc, but are following suit.

This also applies to any closed course training sessions that involve high speed driving or race type instruction etc.

CHECK WITH YOUR AGENTS/POLICIES before doing a track day, or taking an advanced riding school or class.
seems only fair...

If you crash at the track, drag the bike out to the street and call the cops.
beerchug.gif

This is interesting I'll have to make a call. They KNOW we race our bikes. We pay extra on our life insurance for a race rider but specifically told us it didn't matter on the bike insurance if we raced or not. I wonder if they'll offer an additional cost rider to cover racing. hmmmmm...

Thanks for the heads up!
Deb

The couple of times I've crashed at the track, I NEVER claimed on my insurance. I like where my policy dues are at. I don't need them to skyrocket just b/c I decide to take my bike out for some fun.

I bought all my own parts and did all the repairs myself. Depending on the crash, the repairs will be pretty inexpensive so long as the frame, rims or forks are not totaled.

Also, getting some race bodywork with upper, lower w/full enclosed bellypan is a VERY good investment. They repair easily if rashed, you save your good street plastics, and if you ever blow a motor and spill fluid-most of it goes into the bellypan.

I just assumed (without ever bothering to look at the policy mind you) that they would not cover anything that happened at the track.  It was one of those "Have Fun, but do so at your own risk deals..."
That's the way it should be. I think most policies usually cover "public road/highway use" etc. Since racetracks are "closed course" and on private property, I would think legal policy coverage stops as soon as you pass the front gate and sign the waiver release of liability form and pay the $10 gate fee.

As long as my Medical is covering me at the track, I'm good to go.
hmmm most of my policy's had specific exclusions for racing, flying, skydiving or other "dangerous" sports.. Seems like everytime I found something fun to do, there were rules or caveats to them..

I had a policy revoked when I started drag boat racing.... go figure... thought that was the idea of insurance...
sad.gif

It sounds like it would still cover taking something like a MSF safety class on a closed course. I think it still should anyhow. Track Days , Racing, and Racing type courses"¦. I agree with Bogus that they should be covered. I'm happy with my State Farm rates, I sure don't want to have them go up because of guys crashing on track days.

I crashed mine at the track two weeks ago and would never have dreamed of it being covered. (or try to claim it if it was covered) . Most bike insurance won't cover any medical on the rider anyhow (except Un/Under-insured motorist) . If you think yours does, you had better double check your policy. Luckily I'm covered by my employer group medical that can't exclude my "dangerous"￾ hobbies.

It sounds like it would still cover taking something like a MSF safety class on a closed course. I think it still should anyhow. Track Days , Racing, and Racing type courses"¦. I agree with Bogus that they should be covered. I'm happy with my State Farm rates, I sure don't want to have them go up because of guys crashing on track days.

I crashed mine at the track two weeks ago and would never have dreamed of it being covered. (or try to claim it if it was covered) . Most bike insurance won't cover any medical on the rider anyhow (except Un/Under-insured motorist) . If you think yours does, you had better double check your policy. Luckily I'm covered by my employer group medical that can't exclude my "dangerous"￾ hobbies.
whoa... you crashed? details man details....

Luckily I'm covered by my employer group medical that can't exclude my "dangerous"￾ hobbies.
Guess again Professor! It's in the lovely HIPPA law that they don't HAVE to cover you if you get injured during a high risk activity. Motorcycling is a high risk activity.

I work for a medical insurance company as a programmer and had to install some of the programming changes for HIPPA. I commute to work on my bike so I was really not happy that I had to install changes for the very law that could personally discriminate against me if I were to be in an accident while commuting to work!

There was special wording in the HIPPA act to protect motorcyclist and a last minute tweak reversed the meaning and so now they CAN deny our coverage. This is not just on the track, this is on the street as well.

Granted, I don't think the large group plans through large employers would go to that extreme, but as far as I know, they can!

Deb

whoa... you crashed?    details man details....
Well sort of.....   Made the first pass and slowed down. Went to make the 160-170 degree turn on the return road.  I usually make that turn faster than most of the other bikes.  This time it bit me. I had been street riding it the last month (Eureka Springs etc) with it close to stock ride height. First time back to the track lowered and I dropped it another ½ inch more than normal.  I made the lean and the kickstand mount dug in the pavement. It levered the tire and I was along for the ride. I slid about 25-30 feet. It got my attention and everyone else in the area! I was up and back on the bike quick enough that I passed the ambulance coming to check me out!
sadnews.gif

Several people came up to me later and couldn't believe it happened to me"¦. I was at the bottom of the list of their candidates!  Yep"¦"¦ Poo happens!

Back