insulation needed on k8?

mynewride

Registered
hey guys and gals, i have an 08 orange that fell over. anyhow i bought new suzuki parts and they didnt come with the heat shielding that was on the original ones. my question is will i be needing the insulation? i will be adding brocks street meg system, so with the stainless exhaust there should be less heat under there. anyhow the parts in concern are on the stator cover side of the bike.

thanks for any info.

Go to yout local Automotive Speed shop. They should sell Heat tape or heat sheilding that has adhesive on one side. If you have room make sure you double it up.

Go to yout local Automotive Speed shop. They should sell Heat tape or heat sheilding that has adhesive on one side. If you have room make sure you double it up.

so is there a concern of melting plastics? none of my other bikes have ever had this on it.

so is there a concern of melting plastics? none of my other bikes have ever had this on it.

Not so much melting plastics as warpage; ABS plastic (Which the fairing composition is a derivative of) will melt at 221 degrees F. So if any temps get near that point, the plastic will deform. Insulation will keep temps well below 194 degrees F which is the real point were problems will occur.

Not so much melting plastics as warpage; ABS plastic (Which the fairing composition is a derivative of) will melt at 221 degrees F. So if any temps get near that point, the plastic will deform. Insulation will keep temps well below 194 degrees F which is the real point were problems will occur.

Excellent answer! :thumbsup:

Plus the insulation has some sound deadening properties. Keeps some of the transmitted mechanical noises from the rider.

There is some serious heat coming out of there. I rode mine to church one day wearing shorts and it gets smoking hot on the legs. I know, I know, flame away!:poke: I'd go back to the dealer an order up the stock peaces. I'm sure they're available.

There is some serious heat coming out of there. I rode mine to church one day wearing shorts and it gets smoking hot on the legs. I know, I know, flame away!:poke: I'd go back to the dealer an order up the stock peaces. I'm sure they're available.

now i gotta get insurance to pay for it again. oh well so be it. id rather not take the chance... ill just have to wait longer to get her together.

now i gotta get insurance to pay for it again. oh well so be it. id rather not take the chance... ill just have to wait longer to get her together.

the stuff should have been on them like all the 99-07's did..You should have hit me up,we will get it solved monday..call me ...pipe/pc on the way soon as ups updates will get you tracking #...:thumbsup:

lmk what pieces didn't have stuff you needed on them

Last edited:
Tis is exactly what I just went through. Replacing the right hand fairing there was no insulating foam materials with all the new parts. So the dealer stopped the repair and ordered the parts from Japan. Now I was pissed off at first cause it means my baby has to wait another couple of weeks to get back together but to be honest the guys are right that the heat from the engine will probably warp the fairings if its not there. I s'pose we can all agree its not like a Japanese manufacturer to put anything on the bike unless they can

A. charge you extra for a "feature" (A,B,C modes ?? who uses these anyway)
B. have to put it there to avoid costly warranty fixes.

My vote is for B and you should probably insist they be replaced. I know I did.

Back