installing chain and sprockets $

Justyntym

The Pessimistic Optimist
Donating Member
Registered
My stealership wants to hit me up for $200 labor to install a new chain and sprockets (of which I provide).

What does everybody else pay and is this something I can do myself, normal garage stuff or do I need special tools etc.?

Definately don't want to screw anything up.

it shouldn't be that hard...rear stand and some hand tools...sockets and etc.
rock.gif

Dayuum, $200 dollars for a hour job. Do a search and you will be suprised with some of the detail write up on chain and front and rear sprocket removal.

I changed my chain this last weekend. A good chain tool is a must.

(Justyntym @ Mar. 01 2007,13:50) What about a chain riveting tool?
well, did you buy the chain already? is it in your hands right now? I meant when you buy the chain I usually ask em to connect em to the right length and then pay for it. and install myself...or if you do alot of chain works? then buy a chain tool...(some ppl works alot on certain parts, like wear alot on tires, wear alot on chains, clutches etc.) it depends on your riding habit I guess...I got 15k miles on and?
I wear alot on rear brake pads...
crazy.gif

I'm investigating on it right now...front pad only half out, but rear was gone...(I don't use alot on rear...)
mad.gif

So, all in all...its usually on you...

Well, I do have an expensive EK chain tool (the best) and got my chain and sprockets from Streetntrack (good guy Charles) so I'll have about 200 bucks in the project (besides my tool) to do it myself. Besides, I'll know it's done right and my chain is an EK-ZZZ and front and rear sprockets.

that stinks...... the shop that does the work on my bike is gonna install my chain and sprockets for $20. they said since they are gonna have the tire off anyways that it wont be a big deal to do the rest of the work. id check around to some other reputable shops. dealerships are always way over priced...

Dealership wants $20, yes, twenty dollars, to swap my chain by itself.

Maybe they quoted you chain and all...I would ask again and make sure they understand what you are asking.

It's all about communication....and having someone who listens.

Tool on it's way....$110 tyd if anyone else needs one,I owe you a refund too.

Tool on it's way....$110 tyd if anyone else needs one,I owe you a refund too.

IMG_4713.JPG

Back