Installing a relay for Cruise Control

BusaWhipped

Donating Member
Registered
When I installed the undertail with the LED tail lights, the Cruise Control stopped wrking. I installed a resistor to simulate having a filament bulb in the circuit. I thought that it would only have power when the brake lights were on, but I found that with the Cruise Control in the curcuit, it was pulling 2.5 amps all the time. Not that it's a huge draw, but its unnecessary load on the system. So today I installed a relay to take care of it.

I bought a five function Automotive Relay and plug in harness bypass the LEDs for the brake system. The harness is optional, but makes for a nicer insatllation.

IMG_0401__Medium_.JPG

The relay gets wired into the bikes harness as follows:

85 to cold brake (+12V when brake is pressed) [White/Black]
86 to Ground
87 N/A
87A to violet wire from cruise harness
30 to Ground

Relay.jpg

Wires all tidied up and ready to replace the undertail. Its raining here today, so no shakeout ride.
sad.gif

IMG_0405__Medium_.JPG

I did mine the same way.

From the FAQ on the Rostra site.
<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:[/Quote]<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
Note: When using LED tail lights will require Automotive Relay five function to bypass brake
system LED do not let Violet wire cold side brake see ground threw brake lights. Wire in as
following:

85 to cold brake (+12V when brake is pressed)
86 to Ground
87 N/A
87A to violet wire from cruise harness
30 to Ground[/quote]

looks good
beerchug.gif
have you gotten inspired for the rest of the install yet?

you should have cut the resistors out of the back while you were there and installed the electronic flasher (is what I did today)

Back