Installed 360 kit on Gen II and the Chain is to close to the tire. How much slack should the new chain have

Busaking6500

Registered
Just completed a 360 kit on my busa but the chain seems to close to the tire and I wanted to ask how much slack this new chain should have.

To close or touching? There can be some variables to chain tension. Length of the stretch, angle of the swing-arm, and how much that angle changes when you are on the bike.
Pictures can be helpful...
And since you joined the .org a few minutes a little intro is not a bad idea.

Just completed a 360 kit on my busa but the chain seems to close to the tire and I wanted to ask how much slack this new chain should have.
Welcome, you obviously have some serious work done to that bike with a tire like that on it...

Hopefully the answers you received will help.

To close or touching? There can be some variables to chain tension. Length of the stretch, angle of the swing-arm, and how much that angle changes when you are on the bike.
Pictures can be helpful...
And since you joined the .org a few minutes a little intro is not a bad idea.
What he ^ said and :welcome: to the Org. Too many variables in yer 25 word first post.
Rubb.

Thank you guys! I'm new to this type of group so I'm still trying to figure out how to use the forum. Here are some pics of the chain and you can see how close to the tire it is. It does rub a little bit when riding but I've only gone about 15 mph to test it out. What do you think?
IMG-20201117-WA0027.jpg
IMG-20201117-WA0026.jpg
IMG-20201117-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20201117-WA0023.jpg

Personally i wouldnt think that is good, there will be Some lateral play and at 60+ mph upwards i wouldnt want a chain slapping into the side of my tyre let alone maybe smacking into the rim.

I have no experience at all with ext arms its just my thoughts.

The distance between tire and chain on fat tire kits is very close. A few MM's usually. If its a quality kit,it shouldn't be rubbing,if all was installed correctly. There is usually a fix for everything thou. I have a couple of idea's but won't offer them,as I have not tested them myself. One thing I notice is that your tire choice has a lot of overhang. Your tire sticks out past the rim edge a considerable amount. I run a 330 rear and my tire does not stick out much past the edge of my rim.
Are you happy with the distance between your chain and the lip of the rim? If that clearance is good...perhaps pick another brand of tire. It might be the qwickest fix,but 330/360 tires are not cheap.
Who's kit is it? Have you contacted them? Did they have a tire recommendation? Fat tires for the most part have a very low profile,but some will stick out less that others. Perhaps asking around to find the most narrow 360 is an' idea. You need the actual width...not every 360 tire is actually 360 MM wide once mounted and aired up. my tire does not have the overhang your does...Avon Venom.
Rubb.

The distance between tire and chain on fat tire kits is very close. A few MM's usually. If its a quality kit,it shouldn't be rubbing,if all was installed correctly.
Rubb.

In pic wheel looks crooked.
Good eye Matt...maybe I should try wearing my reading glasses more.
Looks like its ONLY out by a half inch or so...:laugh:
Rubb.

acsaxz.jpg

Thank you guys! I'm new to this type of group so I'm still trying to figure out how to use the forum. Here are some pics of the chain and you can see how close to the tire it is. It does rub a little bit when riding but I've only gone about 15 mph to test it out. What do you think? View attachment 1629727View attachment 1629728View attachment 1629729View attachment 1629730
That tire is misaligned. Usually happens when installing the rear tire. Use a caliper micrometer to measure the axle block to end of swingarm. Best way to get a rear tire aligned. Amazon sells then for like 20 bucks.

@ZeePopo
contradiction (softly ;) )

the very best instrument to control the alignment of the tire is the laser "cat" eye.
nothing else is as straight as a light beam. (only near a black hole - lol - what we all don´t have here on or near that nice big ball)
my hint would be ;) , not to fumble around any more but simply using the only one 100% correct tool - the laser.

@Busaking6500

slack - hmmm

when using the 360 you will have two chains i guess and if i remember corectly
1 from motor sprocket to the double-sprocket at the arm (very close to motor-sprocket 4 or 5 inch, evtl. 6 inch?) and a 2nd chain from this double back to the rear sprocket.
like at the bike at the pic

P1020289 (Groß).jpeg

so you need the slack at the first, short, chain but "not" at the 2nd

the slack / hanging through (like at standard arms ~20-30 mm) is necessary for the chain "length change" / hanging through when arm is moving up an down by the geometry.

so you need this slack for the short front-chain - i would say ~ 5 mm - but not for the 2nd rear-chain - this you can pull close to a straight line near to without any slack - i would put on a 5 mm slack as a maximum at least.
the 2nd chain´s slack can´t never differ by a changing geometry like at the standard geometry.
thus, a stretching (and thatby damaging) of the 2nd chain due to excessive tension and a change in geometry is basically excluded.

Last edited:
@Berlin Germany. Hey Frank. :thumbsup: Not many guys still use that ancient technology,I dont think. It's called a jackshaft. Looks like krap and doesn't do well with big HP motors.Its a cheesy junk set up IMO. Most guys use OSD now. Outside drive. You can buy bolt on kits from a few sources. Mine is Roaring Toyz. It has handled my Ultra 550 turbo for 10 years. Kits come with everything you need to do a fat tire bike. The countershaft sprocket extends out,the chain runs outside the frame,hence the name.The heavy duty sprocket cover carries torque load at one end and the stock bearing inside the case carries load on the other end..Its the way to go. See the extended sprocket in the pic.

osd.jpg

They are pricey thou,but worth it if you ask me. There are many reasons NOT to go jackshaft. Anyway,FYI,
Rubb.

@Berlin Germany. Hey Frank. :thumbsup: Not many guys still use that ancient technology,I dont think.(...)
rubb?

the heck , ancient ? why don´t you call it directly medieval or at long last pre historical? :p

"you damn (beloved) assh..e ´n motherfugger" :p - dear? i love ya really - dozen hugs 4 u and feel yourself smooched
as like among brothers !

the tech you described sounds and looks great and strong enough even for a 500hp turbo - yes.

but i doubt a bit if we could get your nice solution legalized here in germany with its sometimes pre historical laws. :banghead:

rubb?

the heck , ancient ? why don´t you call it directly medieval or at long last pre historical? :p

"you damn (beloved) assh..e ´n motherfugger" :p - dear? i love ya really - dozen hugs 4 u and feel yourself smooched
as like among brothers !

the tech you described sounds and looks great and strong enough even for a 500hp turbo - yes.

but i doubt a bit if we could get your nice solution legalized here in germany with its sometimes pre historical laws. :banghead:

:laugh:

Those laws seem odd to us,but its what Germany has decided is best for the people. A lot of of it, most of us would disagree with,but its not our country. The laws are probably based on accident analysis. 1 broken Chinese brake lever...solution: No more Chinese levers. It is what it is. Ride hard my friend...:race:
Rubb.

:laugh:

(..)Ride hard my friend...:race:
Rubb.

yes bros i will - next spring at our very nice little race track only 1 hour away. :thumbsup:

til then i, the mega wimp when arctic :lol: cold, below 12°C, outside,
will use my soooooooooo beautyful audi a6 quattro with v6 turbo diesel with his lovely parking and seat heater. ;)
my babes stay well covered dry ´n clean in the garage/workshop waiting for warm times too.

Back