Chain Lube and adjustments

sccrvettel82

I've been quiet lately...Don't m
Donating Member
Registered
Just wanted to know how often you have to adjust the slack out of your chains? On both my R1 and Hayabusa I have had to adjust the chain 2-3 times by 2,000 miles. Is this normal. I am assuming that a new chain will stretch a little bit as it is getting broken in.

Just wanted to know how often you have to adjust the slack out of your chains?  On both my R1 and Hayabusa I have had to adjust the chain 2-3 times by 2,000 miles. Is this normal.  I am assuming that a new chain will stretch a little bit as it is getting broken in.
Well thats a difficult question to answer because it depends on a lot of factors.
#1) How long do youy want your chain to last? If you wanna keep it healthy for a long time lube it every couple hundred miles and clean it and lube it at least every 500-600 miles. Also you need to keep more of an eye on it if you are in dustier type conditions. IE a dry desert type area
#2) How do you ride? If you ride aggressive revving the motor into the upper limits and REALLY applying some torque to the chain it's gonna stretch quicker
#3) What type of chain do you have? If it's a factory chain it's gonna need more adjusting. The way I ride my factory chain was stretched beyond adjustment in 6,000 miles. Now I have a DID X-ring chain and riding the same way I have went 2,500 miles without one adjustment yet. An X-ring chain is money well invested if you are gonna ride hard and want a chain thats gonna resist stretching.

But Basically to assume your riding conditions lube it every 200-300 miles and make sure at least every 1000 you clean it and you should be ok

Yeah, I seem to have a lot of hard throttle snaps. I am sure it is not helping the chain. LOL.. Live in western PA so the riding is not very dusty. I will look into the chain you suggested when the stocker it shot. Thanks.

It is normal for any new chain to stretch initially. Then it shouldn't stretch for a while. I check mine every time I lube it, once every two weeks(unless I do a lot of riding then more often).

Keeping the chain adjusted allows for it to last much longer and let the sprokets last longer.

Back