IMPORTANT: Engine Builders, Racers, Tuners!

GPW

Donating Member
Registered
Engine builders, tuners and racers. This is some pretty important information you should know. Our Attorney was researching the term “race use only” in regards to EPA regulations trying to find information specific to motorcycle performance modifications to ensure our current waiver had us covered.

Well, the customer signing a “Race us only waiver” is not enough.

See below.

Some things you should know:

“Competition” or “Race” means: Organized Racing Only. This may include amateur and professional racing. Open or closed course racing must be organized by a sactioned and recognized racing organization. All other uses are considered recreational.

These regulations apply to vehicles that were manufactured before 2006. If you use a EPA certified vehicle for competition only, it does not need to meet emmisions standards. This would allow you to modify it however you want, but only if you use it ”SOLEY” for competition and not for any recreational or commuting purposes.

Guidelines:

2005 or earlier: no restrictions
Built in 2006 or later: EPA certified, used for “some recreation”, then you may use it however you like but you cannot make any modifications that increase emmisions.

Built in 2006 and later: EPA certified, used in competition only, there are no restrictions on service or modifications.

Engine Builders: If you modify a motorcycle engine to increase performance, not just a basic enginerepair. You “MUST” destroy or remove the “Emissions Cetification Label” on the vehicle.

This vehicle this engine is in, is no longer certified and may only be used for competition and “NO” recreation. If you sell or give one of a “performance or race” engine to someone else, you must notify the owner in writing that the vehicle is for race use only.

I know as a new shop owner, we submitted permits, had inspections and no where were these regulations explained in detail like this. This information is not only critical to shop owners it is crtical to the bike owners as well. I hope this helps someone because we surely learned a ton from the above information.

Last edited:
Doesn't pretty much every aftermarket exhaust come w/ a label stating "for off road or competition use only?" ???

I understand whats done at the manufacturer level this is for the shop owner and tuner. It is good info and should help with drafting Shop agreements and waivers in the future.

I understand whats done at the manufacturer level this is for the shop owner and tuner. It is good info and should help with drafting Shop agreements and waivers in the future.

Ok...I understand. Is it fair to say that in the near future, if a consumer wants to have an exhaust system or some sort of light engine work done (ex.1397cc+) that we the consumer will be expected to sign a waiver, releasing the shop of liability issues? Is that what you're saying?

No, but this stuff is all covered under the 1990 Clean Air Act. It is important imformation for everyone and shop owners who have some sort of policy in place. I policed for 14 years and did not know it in this detail.

It was not posted to start agrument if you don't agree or don't think the policies apply to you, that's ok. It is however the guidline you should follow and draft agreement with your customers. :beerchug:

Ok...I understand. Is it fair to say that in the near future, if a consumer wants to have an exhaust system or some sort of light engine work done (ex.1397cc+) that we the consumer will be expected to sign a waiver, releasing the shop of liability issues? Is that what you're saying?
The information is for your own use, use it or not. That is all I am saying. This post is not about me, it should be about anyone looking to work within a safe window of operation. We have had a waiver for the last three years it will be upgraded with the new information ASAP. :beerchug:

Last edited:
No, but this stuff is all covered under the 1990 Clean Air Act. It is important imformation for everyone and shop owners who have some sort of policy in place. I policed for 14 years and did not know it in this detail.

It was not posted to start agrument if you don't agree or don't think the policies apply to you, that's ok. It is however the guidline you should follow and draft agreement with your customers. :beerchug:

I'm not trying to start an argument at all Greg. I was just trying to understand it & how this might effect me as a member here and clarify it in laymans terms for myself and others.

Thanks for posting it up.

Here is the policy number for your research:

EPA420-F-02-045
EPA420-F-03-044

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Business can be a regulatory nightmare. Just when one thinks they have everything covered, something completely unexpected pops up.

Mine is for race use only~!~

(It just came with a plate and inspection sticker, I don't know why) :laugh:

Good info

Business can be a regulatory nightmare. Just when one thinks they have everything covered, something completely unexpected pops up.

And, of course, when you DO finally figure it out and comply, they change it...:banghead:

Thanks!
Good info. :thumbsup:

However, when I get stopped, I hope all they want is to check the clean air sticker. :laugh:

awesome info and I'm glad your researching and staying on top of you business:thumbsup: Its just sad that our country has allowed the politics/fake global warning retards/and lawyers to draft and yack up this country to the point of you having to know this in order to operate your shop withing the "legal" limits.....Hey how about the global warming....here in Memphis TN we have had the mildest summer and coldest winter in 25 years....:moon:Global warming HAHA

I hope this is not comeing from my question monday night. I only wanted to make sure running certian programs for long durations such as every day rideing would not be bad for my bike. Seeing for race use only on everything just kind of made me paranoid. In no way would I try to hold someone responsible for any modifications that I make to my own bike. Thanks ,Coby

since when would it be the shops fault for what the bike owner does with it? thats like charging the gun store for someone who shot somebody

since when would it be the shops fault for what the bike owner does with it? thats like charging the gun store for someone who shot somebody
Shops are held "accountable" to professional standards..(Ethics of all things) They are also under the auspices of the DOT and EPA in loose manners.. Meaning the EPA/DOT can enter your shop and inspect your facility at will... (gestapo tactics)

we were dealing with this in the late 70's and early 80's as the EPA took over the auto industry... Cat test pipes, fuel inlet restrictors, AIR removal etc were all covered..

Violations are $10G a pop... nothing new, just that enforcement has been lax on bikes.. The EPA would sweep into town, inspect shops and whack them for $10G for every cat they had laying around not fully documented as to orig

Is why I have mentioned on more than one occasion not to lose or pitch your stock pipes etc.. IF they enforce the CURRENT laws to the letter, you can not modify ANY part of your bike that can affect emissions unless you have had it EPA/CARB certified..

The makers of the Power-commander paid a 7 figure fine just this last year due to errors in their marketing and literature...

California folk are really good at this stuff... :rofl:

Last edited:
Part of the posting was to see what other shop owners are doing as well. I did a ton of my own homework on this topic trying to get a direction.

You would be surprised at how many of the top car/motorcycle shops in the country don't address the above issues at all and know zero information regarding the subject.

I wanted to see what the perception was related to the topic matter. The bullet points above are a must.

Policies are good when they are in line with both known set presidence and regulation. Asking questions is never a bad thing.

:poke:i took every one of my stickers off the day i got her home..they dont do epa testing in my county:thumbsup: and they still have the VIN to prove i own her:laugh:

carb, CALIFORNIA air resource board. no emmissions regs in montana. :thumbsup:

Back