IMAP and POP Mail Access Question

Here is the deal Keith, with IMAP nothing is ever stored on your phone it is always stored on the server until you move the email over to your PST, trust me its the best of both worlds...

Here is the deal Keith, with IMAP nothing is ever stored on your phone it is always stored on the server until you move the email over to your PST, trust me its the best of both worlds...

Ok, two questions:

1. Does IMAP use more battery power as it's continually communicating to work?
2. Doesn't a poor/no connection slow down/stop it from working?

I like POP as it will connect and download when in range; I can look/reply anytime, and when I get a decent enough signal again it sends....

IMAP does not communicate all the time. It actually syncs. You can still get to it the current messages (whatever you configure the iPhone to store) with no connection.

Messages created or deleted will sync when reconnected.
Battery life will depend on how often you poll the server just like pop.

I switched over to IMAP from POP. I access three accounts on my phone.

I access it with IMAP on three computers using Outlook. On one computer I have a local .pst file I use to archive.
My mail server current has about 300 meg on one account. 20-50 on the other two. Every few months I archive the old stuff it to the .pst.
I've concurrently had an email account open on at least 3 devices at the same time.

Well, I've learned a lot from dinking around with this stuff. I ended up leaving the original PST file Inbox as is. Created a new IMAP connection to the account outside of the PST file and created a rule to move a copy over to her inbox. Unsubscribed from all but the inbox on her machine and I'll take care of cleaning up the account on my IPhone. I learned there are a bunch of ways to get email, I ended up with the solution that lets me get email on my IPhone and get the least amount of issues with the house commander.

Thanks for help!

Back