Best place for CHEAP web hosting?

AJAY

Registered
The domain for my wife's website is expiring and I want to renew.

I've been with Freehostia.com which will host a site for $2.95/month if paid for the full year in advance. They include .com domain registration for that amount and the following level of service:

* Monthly Price /if paid annually/ : $2.95
* NO Set-Up Fee
* 500 MB Disk Space
* 12 GB Monthly Traffic
* 1-click 40+ Scripts Installer
* POP3/IMAP E-mail accounts
* SMTP Server
* One-Hour Ticket/E-mail Response Guarantee

This is pretty much their cheapest plan without banner ads. Is there anybody else I should be looking at?

No offense, but I can't believe you're looking for something cheaper. You've got one heck of a deal already. :)

No offense, but I can't believe you're looking for something cheaper. You've got one heck of a deal already. :)
Oh, yeah, they're cheap and I'm not necessarily looking for something cheaper. Some folks think $15/month is cheap and some people think $75/month is cheap, so I wanted to define what I meant for "cheap."

We never put up a website and when I did try, I wasn't able to get the pop email to work. Thought there might be something similarly priced, perhaps slightly more, but that was easier or better to use.

As a web host myself, I can assure you, there are no free rides.. I can oversell a server by 400% and charge 1/4 may rates... clients pay in the end by crap latency, no backups, and restrictions that do not appear until you start using all the allocated resources..

12G of traffic? 99% of all websites are under 1G of traffic monthly
500M of disk space/ this often comes with some caveats (no file storage, all data must be web content etc)

1 hour ticket response... most help desks have auto responders and so poof that is covered.. depending on the type of site you have, you will never use the help desk.. if it is service related, a help desk ticket is a waste of time, they are already working on the issue and if it is a web site issue, that is typically content related and not a freebie anyway (I/we do not do page coding for free, it runs about $80 an hour)

Such a small expense to be shopping every nook and cranny on the net for when you look at the grand scheme of things... pick up a phone and call the host... see how that works..

Front end software is what you see, I run Cpanel and it is pretty straight forward and has I think it also has around 70 click to install programs (fantastico), honestly, very little of this stuff gets used (out of over 1000 clients, I think 20 or so use the cpanel installers). POP mail operation issues are almost always a client side issue, they do not know how to set up a POP3 client on their home computer.. we at least have auto config routines for that :)

honestly if things are working ok now, leave it alone... no point fixing what aint broke...

Last edited:
I use to host at my old job but then I changed jobs I lost my server. So I started hosting on CrystalTech.com ASP .NET 3.5 Shared Web Site Hosting Services and Affordable Professional ASP .NET 3.5 Microsoft Windows Web Hosting They have just about every type of service you could want but it will cost you more. I'm on the 16.95 a month plan and it works for me. I use to do a lot with my website but it's all but gone now. I use the service for off site backups over FTP of some things that I never want to loose. They have great tech support that I have used a few times when I first setup my website with them. No additional charge for tech support which is what I liked.

I'm actually thinking of moving my site to my me.com account and moving my email to google and just be done with the whole thing and save my self almost 200 bucks a year.

Good luck in your search but I doubt if you'll find anything better than what you have for the money.

All great advice, guys. Agree that the freehostia is a good deal, even if just to hold the domain name. The POP mail is probably on my end, although I did have it working with another server when I had one for my own business (read that, I got it working when it was really important to ME!!! :rofl:)

I use 1&1 for my stuff. Never had any issues, but mainly it's just a couple of Wordpress blogs and some file space. All my email, FTP, etc. works great.

For 1&1 Home I get:
2 Domains
100 Subdomains
Host for 50 external domains
120GB webspace
1,200GB monthly transfer volume
10 FTP accounts
1,200 email accounts
2 GB mailbox space
IMAP, POP3, Webmail, and Spam filtering

for $4.99/Month

(they usually do specials for new accounts that is like $2.50/Month for 6 months then regular price so check their site: Web Hosting Services and Domain Name Registration : 1&1 Internet Inc.)

It sounds like you have a pretty good deal though.

Back