Imagine if our oil resources deplete...

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
If we deplete all of our oil resources imagine what would happen... I sure hope they start making more fully electric vehicles so gas doesnt completely go away... Id sure be said if I could never ride the busa again because gas was either unaffordable to the average person or it was depleted all together...

I saw something the other day about oil being gone by 2019. Who knows if its true because people are always saying crazy things

We have a huge oil supply here in the states, bigger than the middle east has but the tree hugging fanatics in the government wont let anybody drill it

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

We have a huge oil supply here in the states, bigger than the middle east has but the tree hugging fanatics in the government wont let anybody drill it

Well when those tree hugging idiots cant drive anywhere to protest it wont be a problem :laugh:

they say they just found a source deep deep in the gulf but in our waters that is larger than the entire middle east pool. I also read that they werent sure how long it would take to get it drilled and to market. Of course Obama has all that off shore drilling crap going on, who knows if he'll let them drill for it. ???

ok...my thoughts are if we deplete everyone elses oil supply and the US is only place not pumped out that oil would be worth 100 times what it is now...:whistle:

As a petroleum engineer who drills for oil on a daily basis, I assure the 2019 number is idiotic. Will oil become scarcer and more expensive over the next 20 years? ABSOLUTELY. Extinct? RIDICULOUS.

Just remember that electric cars run on electricity and that electrcity doesn't magically come out of a hole in the wall of your house. The vast majority is made by burning something (coal or natural gas). Its only "greener" because they can put more pollution controls on a stationary power plant than a car. Not to mention hybrids cost far more energy to manufacture.

I wish that there were a law that said you could only propose environmental and energy policy if you had taken at least 1 semester of Thermodynamics. Right now we have energy and environmental policy being written by people with Ivy League history and law degrees.
:deadhorse:

I wish they would put a cap on oil like they did electric, where they could only proffit so much on, which in turn would keep the overhead lower for us

If only that was the problem...

As i am sure OT will attest too, there are lots of theoretical or known supplies of oil...

our limitations are almost entirely technology to reach it (extreme deep water drilling).. or costs of getting it out of the ground (oil shale)...

These are both very expensive..

Most of the huge oil supply your talking about are oil shale deposits.. which previously when oil was cheap, made oil shale too expensive to even think about using..

Now that oil prices are going up and up, these reverves are becoming a more viable source...

Irony is, in order for these supplies to be viable, prices have to stay high...

So, if we seriously wanted to get these oil supplies tapped out by private business, basically, we would HAVE to subsidise big oil, to make it profitable at lower costs..

There are actually MANY resources in trapped in this way (to expensive to mine)..

Rare Earth Materials are another biggie, and much more likely to become scarce before oil.... China the largest rare earth materials provider in the world, for the last 10-20 years intentionally flooded the market with rare earths, driving the prices down..

Basically, making it impossible for other countries and companies to compete, they recently announced intentions to start decreasing exports of all rare earths, to drive the prices up again... These materials are in all sorts of products we use...

Two other elements that are on the brink of turning the global economy on its head.... Indium and Helium..

Yeah you read that right, Helium..

Indium is scarce, very scarce, and being gobbled up left and right in things like LCD screens, cell phones, etc. and unless new sources are found, scarcity problems are projected at around 2020 given current usage/supply information...

As for helium, it is primarily a by-product of natural gas production... something america tends to be VERY good at, which is why america produces nearly all of the helium in the world currently...

HOWEVER.. projected laws require, and resources allow for all helium to basically be used to the point of extreme scarcity by 2030-2040.. a HUGE problem...

I hate to say it, but oil scarcity is the least of our worries, technology seems to be keeping up for finding new sources currently, as well as alternative fueling systems... IT WILL BE EXPENSIVE, but oil will be around, assuming nothing in the geopolitical landscape changes dramatically..

However, there are LOTS of raw materials, such as various metals, etc. that will be soon causing serious problems... as those prices will impact our production costs much more severly than will oil for instance..

just some food for thought...

We do have more oil than all of the middle east, and we have the capabilities to get it, but our politicians do not want us to access it because they have so much interest in buying oil from over seas. They are pocketing billions at OUR expense! They LOVE the high prices!!

don't worry about it. The world will end way before then.:rofl:

If we deplete all of our oil resources imagine what would happen... I sure hope they start making more fully electric vehicles so gas doesnt completely go away... Id sure be said if I could never ride the busa again because gas was either unaffordable to the average person or it was depleted all together...

I saw something the other day about oil being gone by 2019. Who knows if its true because people are always saying crazy things

Buy a diesel and eat lots of french fries! :thumbsup: How to Make Diesel From French Fry Oil | eHow.com

Seriously though it is a shame our govt can't cut back on the oil that is being imported from the Middle East.

That is the problem! They CAN cut back, they just WON'T! Think about it, WE are the ones paying for it, not them. They are making billions of dollars at OUR expense.
We need people in charge of this country that will look out after US! Not just their own pockets! We need fresh people in our Government from the TOP down!!

I wish they would put a cap on oil like they did electric, where they could only proffit so much on, which in turn would keep the overhead lower for us

Hahaha! - Oil companies make their profits out of volume sales, not pump prices. The reason fuel is expensive is that Government taxes the hell out of it.

Anyway, when oil supplies get too low, that'll be what causes WWIII.

whats funny is ive worked on a canadian oil pipeline going right through central us, from the northern border to the gulf. but we cant drill here, help us if we even mention running a line from ak.

Hahaha! - Oil companies make their profits out of volume sales, not pump prices. The reason fuel is expensive is that Government taxes the hell out of it.

so when gas jumps a dollar in less than a year its all these new taxes :poke:. you dont think producers have any control in pricing?

I personally say lets burn all the middle east's oil first. That way when it becomes ultra scarce we at least won't have to go fight offensive wars to get it.

Back