I'm old. So maybe I just don't know where to look.

I have 5 granddaughters all of which attempted to paint my fingernails at one time or another with zero luck...I love those little girls but there is no way in anything holy they were going to paint my fingernails and I told them as much.....
I can respect that and I'm sure your granddaughters respect their grandad for drawing a line in the sand. My point is that there is sometimes more to what you see.

Last edited:
I can respect that and I'm sure your granddaughters respect their grandad for drawing a line in the sand. My point is that there is sometimes more to what you see.
In my bargain basement knowledge of psychology, I'd estimate this sort of behavior to have a deeper underlying issue or is it just a phase of rebellion....??

I remember as a youth seeing other youth acting out to garner attention from adults...this included going against dress codes at school or drinking, etc, etc...

With this "snowflake" generation I suppose anything is possible...

Think back to when long hair was considered feminine. Or makeup? A lot of these guys with black eyeliner have more women than anyone. It's mostly a fad, and I don't really take it too seriously. As for de-masculinizing men, I personally think a lot of males welcomed this. Being a man is difficult both physically and mentally no matter what some people think. I think many on the left only see the advantages of being the stronger sex. But, I think a lot of young guys just don't want to be where the buck stops.

I know there is a trend towards "man buns" but I haven't seen a male with painted fingernails or face make up around here... as a former Sgt-Major, I pick up on these things quickly.

We are kind of in the back woods here as well so that may be a bit of a reason this isn't popular here......

Maybe these people will grow out of this....I recall the fashion trends in the '80s left a lot to be desired as well...

I saw nails painted black in the early 2000's when pop punk rock and Emo's were the thing. Metal in the faces and hair dyed black, wearing black clothes with chains hangin' off everything. Goth's are the same, except Emo's (are emotional beings :laugh: ). They think they're non-conformists, however that's hard to swallow when they all dress the same. Like most fashion, they will look back in years to come and cringe at themselves :laugh:
I was a surfer kid who had nothing to do with them, mainly because I didn't give a damn and still don't ahaha ...if they're good for them. Dw you're not out of touch; you're just doin' your thing --maybe they're out of touch?

I know there is a trend towards "man buns" but I haven't seen a male with painted fingernails or face make up around here... as a former Sgt-Major, I pick up on these things quickly.

We are kind of in the back woods here as well so that may be a bit of a reason this isn't popular here......

Maybe these people will grow out of this....I recall the fashion trends in the '80s left a lot to be desired as well...
Man I'd love to be out in the back woods... gimme a 30-30 and a 4x4 and I'm happy all day

Man I'd love to be out in the back woods... gimme a 30-30 and a 4x4 and I'm happy all day
I recall an incident in the early 2000's when I was bicycling through a field with my kids...there was a path that led from the military family housing area...we came across this young fellow with crazy hair, face piercings and his wallet on a chain...

He said "what's up homie?" first of all he was as white as a sheet of paper and secondly he was as far away from a "hood" as one could possibly be....

we stopped our bikes and I said "Homie? take a look around you, there is nothing that says 'inner city' anywhere for a few hundred miles, give your head a shake and maybe those fishing lures will fall off." He just blinked and we rode away, my kids got a good laugh out of it though...

I can imagine that kid has grown up and working in an insurance company or something.

A few years ago a trend came out where people were putting plates of some sort in their ears stretching them out, when the plate is out their ear lobes dangle sometimes a long way...I can imagine these people at 80 regretting this....but too stupid to realize it sooner....

Interesting conversation. I understand young people spreading thier wings. The age of some individuals with wild hair colors surprises me.

For me, the shift to mid-life has been somewhat depressing as, like the original poster, I get confused by what I see sometimes.

Last edited:
I recall an incident in the early 2000's when I was bicycling through a field with my kids...there was a path that led from the military family housing area...we came across this young fellow with crazy hair, face piercings and his wallet on a chain...

He said "what's up homie?" first of all he was as white as a sheet of paper and secondly he was as far away from a "hood" as one could possibly be....

we stopped our bikes and I said "Homie? take a look around you, there is nothing that says 'inner city' anywhere for a few hundred miles, give your head a shake and maybe those fishing lures will fall off." He just blinked and we rode away, my kids got a good laugh out of it though...

I can imagine that kid has grown up and working in an insurance company or something.

A few years ago a trend came out where people were putting plates of some sort in their ears stretching them out, when the plate is out their ear lobes dangle sometimes a long way...I can imagine these people at 80 regretting this....but too stupid to realize it sooner....
What's up homie is a friendly phrase and means hello friend how are you. It was his hair and piercings that threw you off. That is exactly what I'm referring to. There may be a story behind his rebellious looks, and your response to him was the equivalent of a street tough insensitively mimicking a David Erkel voice, making fun of someone saying "hello friend, how are you?" In other words, the person doing the mimicking would be just as big an jerk as you were in your story. It's not about appearance or semantics, it's what's in your heart. You and I agree on Donald Trump and the honor of military service but I'm starting to see that not much else.

What's up homie is a friendly phrase and means hello friend how are you. It was his hair and piercings that threw you off. That is exactly what I'm referring to. There may be a story behind his rebellious looks, and your response to him was the equivalent of a street tough insensitively mimicking a David Erkel voice, making fun of someone saying "hello friend, how are you?" In other words, the person doing the mimicking would be just as big an jerk as you were in your story. It's not about appearance or semantics, it's what's in your heart. You and I agree on Donald Trump and the honor of military service but I'm starting to see that not much else.
I think you are over thinking the entire scenario....

If I was in a certain setting and someone greeted me this way, I can relate, when I'm in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere and the only spectators are groundhogs, I saw this greeting as ironic and cliche more than anything else...it goes to the old saying-adapt to where you are and act appropriately.....I for one would never, ever say "how's it going homie" to anyone the same as when I was in Australia I wasn't going around saying "G'day mate." because that's their thing.

And bear in mind, I was a no-nonsense, hardened soldier with more than a few overseas combat missions under my belt even at that time and was exposed to more than most.

And Yes, I don't like face piercings, ear stretching, crazy hair colors and painted fingernails on males....if someone has them, fine, that's their thing, I get that, it doesn't mean I have to like it and I would never go up to someone (normally) and tell them I don't like it...sometimes I'll even talk to them about it and ask a question such as 'do they sleep with them in, or did it hurt getting them (piercings)....I'm not an outdated Ogre afterall....(well maybe).

I think you are over thinking the entire scenario....

If I was in a certain setting and someone greeted me this way, I can relate, when I'm in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere and the only spectators are groundhogs, I saw this greeting as ironic and cliche more than anything else...it goes to the old saying-adapt to where you are and act appropriately.....I for one would never, ever say "how's it going homie" to anyone the same as when I was in Australia I wasn't going around saying "G'day mate." because that's their thing.

And bear in mind, I was a no-nonsense, hardened soldier with more than a few overseas combat missions under my belt even at that time and was exposed to more than most.

And Yes, I don't like face piercings, ear stretching, crazy hair colors and painted fingernails on males....if someone has them, fine, that's their thing, I get that, it doesn't mean I have to like it and I would never go up to someone (normally) and tell them I don't like it...sometimes I'll even talk to them about it and ask a question such as 'do they sleep with them in, or did it hurt getting them (piercings)....I'm not an outdated Ogre afterall....(well maybe).

see, you're just mean, and scary, and hurtful...

lmao

Being a man is difficult both physically and mentally no matter what some people think.
In humor, I will agree. Took this little video over the weekend, of two little finches who nest every year on my front porch. You can see it start with the man building the nest, his tail bobbing around, and then it goes down to the result where the woman has destroyed it twice, as it was not to her satisfaction. So this is now his third attempt of building her a new home which she just destroys with no appreciation, until eventually he succeeds. Tough life for a man.

Seriously, I think it is much harder though to be a woman. Up to seven days a month with something uncomfortable happening with their bodies, carrying and giving birth, the motherly instinct of raising children and how all of that affects their career.

it goes to the old saying-adapt to where you are and act appropriately.....I for one would never, ever say "how's it going homie" to anyone the same as when I was in Australia I wasn't going around saying "G'day mate." because that's their thing.
You didn't have to reply "whatup" or "how's it going, homie", you could have just said hello, but you didn't have to make the smart aleck remark about his piercings.

• Haha
Reactions: VNE
If we all had thicker skin, and learned to laugh at ourselves, especially in our own screwups...we wouldn't have all these nonsense problems in today's society.
I got bullied in elementary school...alot, and into middle school.
It sucked.
At the time, I wanted it to stop...as a child...with a child's mindset.
Now, I look back on it, and wouldn't change anything; why? ...it made me strong.
Not just physically...but mentally as well.
It built strength and character that I needed to become a man.
I still have no use for bullies either, lol.
Had I been an offended or scared person...this world would have eaten me up.
I'm old school, and not changing, I will address you respectfully...but I'm not 'learning' any pronouns.
I saw a meme lately that said,
It looks like the Time Out Generation didn't produce as good of results as the Ass Whippin Generation...
Agreed

You didn't have to reply "whatup" or "how's it going, homie", you could have just said hello, but you didn't have to make the smart aleck remark about his piercings.
I was a different man then....younger and more intense......much more intense.....

And working in a much different mindset than I am these days....therapy works....

This guy knows...

Lol. Yep. I dated for a short period of time the following type.

Tom. I feel like you just didn't hear me.

I responded with Alright I'll try and do better.

3 weeks later. Tom why did you do that?

Because you said Xxxxxxxx.

Well yes I did say that, but I didn't mean that.

OK but you said you you didn't think you were being heard. So I'm paying better attention to what you say.

Yeah but why are taking what I say so literally?

Well what am I supposed to take illiterately? Which side of the fence do I work here?

She still has an open stalking complaint on her.

Seems like I wasn't being heard when I said please leave me alone we aren't compatible.

Back