I'm a new owner from canada

Unstoppable1

Registered
hey, i bought a 2001 hayabusa about 3 years ago, but haven't had enough to insure it till now, but she's pissing antifreeze like crazy when it gets up to temp, i was wondering what would cause this, going to be a pain in the ass to bleed the lines several times, any tips on easy ways to do so ???

hey, i bought a 2001 hayabusa about 3 years ago, but haven't had enough to insure it till now, but she's pissing antifreeze like crazy when it gets up to temp, i was wondering what would cause this, going to be a pain in the ass to bleed the lines several times, any tips on easy ways to do so ???
First of all, welcome aboard.

Secondly, remove the fairings, get yourself an Allen head kit, there are two plastic rivets on each side underneath the nose inside the intake for the radiator, take those out, underneath the headlight. You can push in on the center of these plastic rivets, and they will click. Don't push them too far. Once they click you can remove them.

There are also two plastic rivets underneath the throttle and clutch grip those need to be removed as well. Use a small flat head screwdriver and pry up in the indent on those plastic rivets.

Once the fairings have been removed, look around for wet residue. Is it a hose, is it the radiator cap, is it the overflow reservoir ?.

If no residue can be found, top off the coolant, start the motor and bring the engine up to temp until you start seeing the source of your liquid leak.

if liquid is overflowing the reservoir bottle, it is very well probably a sticky thermostat. If it's purging off the radiator cap seal replace that. And if it's coming from any of the hose unions, tighten the factory hose clamps and check also for cracks and pin holes in your hoses.

Bear in mind, this is a 2001, and it's been sitting for three years. The hoses may have cracks, they may have deteriorated on the inside, you may think about changing all your hoses. It's a 20 year old bike. If you're going to replace the hoses, replace the thermostat, and the radiator cap. This should clean up your issues and get good quality coolant.

Report back.

Back