ignition fuse blowing

brightman

Registered
ok gents need some expert advice.does this at random,first time was sitting there cold warming up and I blipped the throttle a little before taking off and the fuse blew.Next time Im riding along and slowed way down to make a turn , downshifted and got ready to gas on for exit of the turn and fuse blew. ok . its a 15 amp ign fuse, checked while running it only draws 1.84 amps . looked at all wiring and can find no shorts, wear spots or nothing.got the wiring diagram , although not exactly for my yr (05), but looks like theres not alot on this ckt.can the ecm short to ground and them be ok again or can a PAIR solenoid or something kicking on do this. checked voltage when fans come on and its ok.cant take it to dealer there not gonna see it more than likely.dont have any indication and dont have a code reader for it. but as soon as it does it you can put a fuse in and its ok for awhile. any help????
thanks

Sounds like something is shorting out, find out what's all on that circuit and trace the wiring.

is it the fuse for the dash and tail light? or is the bike actually shutting off? if its the dash and taillight that's a common problem and the turn signal is usually the culprit..you said you was going to make a turn so I bet it happened when you switched on your turn signal

when my bike did this it was one of the wires on the horn came off and shorted to ground....

Last edited:
appreciate the response, but its the ignition fuse, which doesn't have anything to do with the turn signals, they're on a seperate ckt. No power commander or any mods of that nature.Was wondering about possibly something like an evap soleniod, or PAIR SOLENIOD shorting out when they come on,oe ECM could do this.Somebody has surely seen this before, just gotta find that person

mine did that a few years ago...believe it or not, it ended up being my negative cable was corroded inside. the draw to keep things going would pop the fuse.

really pbghost? did it pop the fuse randomly, like whenever it wants.or did it pop it all the time whenever you would put a fuse in. and where was it corroded, in the cable or the ends?

Grounds can be hard to find. If you have the circuit down you might want to try and track it down the next time a fuse goes. As a rule of thumb we use to check the circuit to ground where it starts and the in the middle, and keep dividing the circuit until we find it. Rust and corrosion can create a path for ground. Good luck with it. The intermittent grounds are a biotch...

This would only take a few miuntes, with the bike running push around some of the wires / harness and see if you can isolate an area that leads to the problem.

thanks guys,the biggest problem is it pops the fuse very intermitently.then you can put another fuse in right then and its ok for awhile. its done it when its first started and when its up to operating temp. no common denominator.which makes me think its a wire grounding out, but I've got tis thing stripped down, all wiring exposed and ran it for 45 min pushing, wiggling,pulling on the wires, and have looked and physically traced all the wires from one end of the bike to the other, and cant get it to blow a fuse in the garage.Thats why I was wondering if possibly someone has seen a sensor or solenoid or module go bad and when the ecm calls for it to operate, it shorts to groung or possibly the gear position sensor,or maybe the key switch ,or relay or SOMETHING. Also I'm goin off the wiring diagram for a 99-00 model, and doesn't seem to match up exactly.Anyone got one for an 05.Been through these problems before on other machines and usually can see where the 15 amps are shorting to ground.against my common mentallity, I'm about ready to put a 30 amp fuse in there and fix the s--- that smokes or catches fire. at least I'd know what to fix..haha.:banghead:

is it the fuse for the dash and tail light? or is the bike actually shutting off? if its the dash and taillight that's a common problem and the turn signal is usually the culprit..you said you was going to make a turn so I bet it happened when you switched on your turn signal

when my bike did this it was one of the wires on the horn came off and shorted to ground....
I was going to say check the horn it's on the same circuit.

Still lookin, thanks guys for the input and info....just hate to put the darn thing back together without finding the problem.just pissin me off, cause I haven't had it for a month and this crap...oh well such as life.huh?:banghead:

Shorted coil maybe? Pull the coils and check for oil in the spark plug holes from the cylinder head cover gasket.

update for you fellars that have been trying to help me out.Have rode it now 4 times since puttin it back together, and never really finding nothing wrong, for a bout 200 miles and the sob has never blon a fuse yet.tried everything, floggin it, shuttin it on and off,easy ridin downshifting hard,turn signals. checked the charging system and found nothin wrong, 13.98 volts.Had this sucker tore apart and went through the wiring harness with a magnifying glass and NOTHIN. But now it acts fine.............so far......just wanted to update you guys....thanks:banghead:

Back