GS1100 keeps blowing fuse

BrianKesler

Registered
Ok guys, i know its not a Busa but please help if you can. My 83 GS1100 will start and it will idle all day, but the second you rev it up a little, it blows the fuse to the main power, then of course it dies. Replace the fuse, and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

Thanks

Ok guys, i know its not a Busa but please help if you can.  My 83 GS1100 will start and it will idle all day, but the second you rev it up a little, it blows the fuse to the main power, then of course it dies.  Replace the fuse, and the same thing happens.  Any ideas?

Thanks
You may have burned something up while trying to race that nice Black and Purple busa the other day.
laugh.gif

That may be true, but it was worth it to see the black and purple busa in my rearview, at least for a minute anyway!

I guess if i got a used one from somebody, it would have to be from an 1100 also?? I found one on Ebay from someones 850, but i dont know if it would work?

You might try unplugging the voltage regulator to see if the fuse blowing problem goes away. Those old Suzukis also had lot of problems with the stators. It's usually a good idea to replace them together.

A minute or two seconds whats the diff Kevin, You let a 83 1100 get ahead of you
wow.gif
! Thats it , No busa for you for a week ! Go to the corner!
mad.gif

Sounds like your regulator isnt............

Go to the GS REsource site,

or to electrex for the full troubleshooting guide.

There is also a possibility of a bad stator. Did you overev it? Usually the stator will fail to charge when it goes bad, but those crappy regulaors could go either way.

Yes, I had an 83, nice bike

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm sorry I forgot to check this thread. Unplugging the regulator basically disconnects your charging system so if the fuse blowing problem goes away, it pinpoints the problem being in the charging system. If that's the case, I would recommend changing the stator along with the regulator. Often the stator will make the regulator go bad. GS Resourrces iis a great site as mentioned. Good luck!

Paul

I installed a different regulator and took a nice long ride yesterday and all seems well. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Back