Registered
<span style='color:darkblue'>
Originally published July 29, 2004
SWD MIDNIGHT SHIFT
STANDARDS OF PERFORMANCE
DATE: 06/17/04
TO: All Midnight Shift Officers

Ladies and Gentlemen:

First of all, I would like to thank each and every one of you for the hard work and great job that most of you have been doing over the last few months. We have made tremendous strides during this time period with our stats and crime reduction. You have made your supervisors look very good to the command staff both in the SWD and downtown. However, we still have a few of you who do not wish to perform like the rest of us, thus, this memo.

As a patrol officer in Baltimore City, we are an agency that is a proactive department. What that means is that we do not wait for crime to happen. Our job is to attempt to prevent crime before it happens.

We have a stolen auto problem and a burglary problem in this district and on this shift. It is proven that most of this crime is committed by juveniles who should not even be on the street in the first place. Therefore we have come up with a standard of performance to combat these problems. Each officer will be judged based on these standards of performance.

Effective Sunday 06/20/04 on a WEEKLY BASIS we will expect the MINIMUM OF:

Car Stops: 10
Citizen Contacts: 15
Stop and Frisks: 10
Curfew Violations: 2
Criminal Citations: 2
Bike Stops: 2
Parking Tickets: 2
Moving Violations or SEROs: 2
ARRESTS: 2

We should run a 10-29 on every person we speak with. This could be an easy warrant arrest, even run the victims. In addition, we will do warrant details every Sunday and Wednesday mornings with each post car attempting to serve at least 5 warrants. You are also encouraged to do warrants checks on your own on a nightly basis.

We will run the TRAIN for 1 hour each on a nightly basis, emphasizing car stops and FI's.

When you make an arrest call the hot desk and check for warrants. Don't tie the air up but do it when you are in the station. If they have a warrant it is a second arrest.

Also, if you have a suspended driver, an arrest is the preferred course of action unless you have exigent circumstances. Most are suspended for FTA. What makes you think he is going to show up for your case? If they do not have a valid picture ID then ARREST THEM.

You know that all 3 supervisors are on the street doing the same things that we are asking of you. So, please, just keep up the good work, continue to answer the radio and continue to back each other up.

ABOVE ALL, ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT OUR MAIN GOAL IS FOR ALL OF US TO GO HOME SAFELY AFTER A PRODUCTIVE NIGHT OF WORK.
</span>

How's that for a quota system? Would be nice to no how many total officers are on the midnight shift. That number would put things a little more into perspective. Steer clear of Baltimore.

Hrmmm...but they don't set quotas...
rock.gif

I'm forwarding this to my "second-in-command" friend...he'll call me and tell me I'm being a b*tch, I'll call him "pig" and then he'll take me to lunch and fess up!
laugh.gif

It's nice to be able to give the thin blue line an opportunity
to meet its quotas...was there something somewhere in a
Constitution, Bill of Rights, something that spoke to the right
against unreasonable searchs or did Baltimore City Police not get the memo from Mayland State Police about profiling on
I-95(I think that little fiasco cost them a budget line item or
2)...isn't it great to know that you could be pulled over just
because you're on a bike! However, post 9/11, I guess all bets
are off...
Ride safe...

Yeah they messed up and let the press get ahold of this memo ... I've always suspected goals/quotas were verbally encouraged, never expected to see it in writing.

And we pay their salaries, provide them weapons and cars so they can basically do as they please.
What a frickin scam.

I happen to know some of these folk we give guns to and it can be scary. Don't get me wrong, I have friends and relative in law enforcement and I have the utmost respect for anyone in law enforcement...still, it can be scary!!
Ride safe...

Back