SCOTUS Upholds/Strikes Down Parts of AZ Immigration Law

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
About a 50/50 decision.

Upheld:

• The part of the law the justices upheld requires police officers stopping someone to make efforts to verify the person’s immigration status with the federal government.

Struck Down:

• One making it a crime for an illegal immigrant to work or to seek work in Arizona;

• One which authorized state and local officers to arrest people without a warrant if the officers have probable cause to believe a person is an illegal immigrant;

• And one that made it a state requirement for immigrants to register with the federal government.

I think the most important part got upheld because it supports the three that got struck down; Gives them the power to check status - if illegal, then they have the right to arrest/detain on the spot - which is what AZ really wanted in the first place. The only problem will be if the Federal Goverment refuses to provide status (which would be against Federal Law but that hasn't stopped the Attorney General or President lately).

This should be a huge week for SCOTUS decisions...

It's not racial profiling if everyone they stop has their immigration status checked....

Im glad parts held up but am displeased that so much was kicked out. How can it not be a crime to look for work if its a crime that you are there in the first place?

Im glad parts held up but am displeased that so much was kicked out. How can it not be a crime to look for work if its a crime that you are there in the first place?

True, but because you are there illegally take care of everything else after that, the rest of it is moot. The most important part of the law has been upheld.

Heard on the news that the Supremes won't rule on Obamacare until Thursday.......

Drama......:popcorn:

The thing that really gets me is the AZ is a mirror of the Federal Law that has been on the books for a long time now. So I feel this decision says we won't enforce a Federal Law and neither should any state. It is not illegal for an illegal immigrant to find work but the employer that hires one will be fined if caught :rulez: This whole thing is a joke I feel and makes me wonder what good is the Supreme Court if they don't enforce the law itself. I lived in AZ for over 10 years and illegal immigration is a very huge problem. Go there and get in a car accident with someone who is illegal and no license or insurance. The police let them walk or drive away and tell you sorry there is nothing we can do. Mean while you have to pay for your damage and good luck trying to get any kind of compensation for injuries or anything. Last I remember is ENTERING THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY IS A FELONY.

i break the law i go to jail or pay a fine and i am a citizen.... I DEMAND EQUAL RIGHTS!!!

imigration.jpg

i break the law i go to jail or pay a fine and i am a citizen.... I DEMAND EQUAL RIGHTS!!!

...go past security at an airport, apply for most jobs, buy alcohol, buy tobacco, buy guns, open a bank account, get a new SSN card, join the military, get a library card, reporting for jury duty, test drive a car from a dealer, use a rental car vehicle, rental tool, rental equipment, apply for a loan, rent a house/apartment, buy a house, get a concealed carry license, get a background check, go on a booze cruise, take a piss test, join a union, Keep it going....

We have to enforce the Laws that already exist or its all for nothing. Place my Marines along the border for a while and we will provide agressive deterants against crossing without going through the proper channels. I have no issue with someone trying to immigrate legally, and yes it takes time, but then you will become part of our culture and not just another leach on society! Do what we did in the 80's, infiltrate and expunge the Drug Lords with extreme predudice!

The thing that really gets me is the AZ is a mirror of the Federal Law that has been on the books for a long time now. So I feel this decision says we won't enforce a Federal Law and neither should any state. It is not illegal for an illegal immigrant to find work but the employer that hires one will be fined if caught :rulez: This whole thing is a joke I feel and makes me wonder what good is the Supreme Court if they don't enforce the law itself. I lived in AZ for over 10 years and illegal immigration is a very huge problem. Go there and get in a car accident with someone who is illegal and no license or insurance. The police let them walk or drive away and tell you sorry there is nothing we can do. Mean while you have to pay for your damage and good luck trying to get any kind of compensation for injuries or anything. Last I remember is ENTERING THIS COUNTRY ILLEGALLY IS A FELONY.

I have been in three accidents in the last 4 years in my car. All were the fault of other drivers and 2 were un-insured. Cop let 2 of them go. One guy was obviously intoxicated and the Cop let him go and threatened to arrest me when I got pissed about it. None were Mexicans. So now I pay the uninsured motorist rider on my insurance because they don't pay their insurance and the Cops support them on it and decide I look like I can afford to pay the deductible for them.

I was hit in my truck by a Illegal Mexican, No insurance , No papers, The cop said he had to let him go as he had no legal way to hold him,,,, He did give him three tickets , but the cop said they would never be paid..
Mike

Back