Idle and surging issues

Jbmototech

Registered
My question is would gear indicator have anything to do with maps my indicator floats all over the place so wouldnt the ecu be giving the wrong map for the real gear the bike is in

@Dennis

sorry lill contra ;)

yes - the gear position switch (behind the clutch) of the gen1 lots of times fail and cause constant jerkiness
plus weird / nonsensical displaying at the (aftermarket) indic. of the gear engaged at a eg. "GiPro" - it shows evtl. 6th but 3rd is eng.

the simple solution against the c.j. and malfkt. of the GiPro is the indicator from the gen2 - result never more any issues.

I myself did that change in the last 10 years i guess good a dozen times - already and allways with full (and ever lasting) success.

easy to change by opening the clutch cover (bike on sidestand with tied frontbrake lever)
only one or two drops of oil comin out while pulling the cover and the rest is only turning some screws .
i need around one hour for that change.

@Berlin Germany
Gen2 position sensors are crap too. I've got plenty of data logs where the gear bounces to the wrong position, sometimes finds the correct gear, and very rarely indexes through the gears properly. I've also run a TRE on a Gen1 that tells the ECU the bike is always in 5th gear and the bike ran fine with no jerkiness. For next year I have an aftermarket sensor that will be full analog input but this doesn't work with the stock ECU.

Is the bike stock? What exactly is going on with the idle and when is it surging? A little more explanation is needed to give you a proper answer.
Yea for the most part it has a cat delete yoshi slip ons and a k&n and it ran fine then all of a sudden it started idling like crap bounce from about 900 to 1000 rpm's the biggest thing is if im on it hard and pull the clutch in and hold it it'll die if i downshift it wont but when i go to get back on the gas there is a hesitation almost like you flipped off the kill switch and then back on no trouble codes.

Yea for the most part it has a cat delete yoshi slip ons and a k&n and it ran fine then all of a sudden it started idling like crap bounce from about 900 to 1000 rpm's the biggest thing is if im on it hard and pull the clutch in and hold it it'll die if i downshift it wont but when i go to get back on the gas there is a hesitation almost like you flipped off the kill switch and then back on no trouble codes.
Also if i try to hold the rpm's at like 3 to 4k it's up and down 1k like im moving the throttle but im not checked the map sensor it checks out put new plugs in still the same

Also if i try to hold the rpm's at like 3 to 4k it's up and down 1k like im moving the throttle but im not checked the map sensor it checks out put new plugs in still the same
Not saying it's your issue but I chased a similar issue down over the summer on my buddies gsxr750 and it came down to being the valves way out of adjustment and in turn not allowing proper vacuum on the iac valve line. Adjusted the valves and it was back to running like it should.

other thing that can occur a jerking behavior is a missing play in the throttle grip - it has to be around 3 mm, as readable in the manual .

if it is too small or even close zero, your hand and the human impossibility to keep the hand absolutely calm while driving can definitely cause the jerking / surging behavior - pulling on the throttle / taking off the throttle.
those 1 or 2 degrees turning the grip while driving will be caused by your hand.

damn stupid malfunction in the human mechanic , but real and never preventable.

and you have absolutely no chance to do anything about it.

Not saying it's your issue but I chased a similar issue down over the summer on my buddies gsxr750 and it came down to being the valves way out of adjustment and in turn not allowing proper vacuum on the iac valve line. Adjusted the valves and it was back to running like it should.
Yea possibly im gonna check my clearances because it is time I've got 30k on it just seems weird it just started like from one day to the next

Yea possibly im gonna check my clearances because it is time I've got 30k on it just seems weird it just started like from one day to the next
The gixxer i dealt with was real similar and had me chasing vacuum leaks and everything else and while he said it seemed to just happen he did have some signs like his idle was a little lower but it happened in small amounts so it was actually normal to him. One of the first things that made me think it had to be the valves was when I pulled the line off the iac valve and there wasn't proper vacuum on it. I know the busa is a little better most of the time about valves staying in spec then the gixxers and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction but that's definitely where I'd be looking with your description at this point.

The gixxer i dealt with was real similar and had me chasing vacuum leaks and everything else and while he said it seemed to just happen he did have some signs like his idle was a little lower but it happened in small amounts so it was actually normal to him. One of the first things that made me think it had to be the valves was when I pulled the line off the iac valve and there wasn't proper vacuum on it. I know the busa is a little better most of the time about valves staying in spec then the gixxers and I don't want to point you in the wrong direction but that's definitely where I'd be looking with your description at this point.
I did pull the vac line off the map sensor because it runs to all 4 intakes and it did have good vac I'll check tonight and see how much vac each cyl is pulling that might point a little more towards one direction or another it's just weird it was literally from one day to the next

Back