ICON Super Duty Boots...

BulletTrain

Call me Daddy...
Donating Member
Registered
I finally got to take a decent ride in my new ICON Super Duty boots that I bought from newenough.com. Thought I'd post a few words about 'em in case someone is lookin' for a pair of "casual ridin'" boots...

Ok, they're not even close to broke in so I can't really say how comfortable they will ultimately be. I will say that even though they're pretty stiff, they were still more comfortable than a lot of new tennis shoes I've bought. They're stiff in general but with no pressure points or tight areas. They fit my big azz hoof quite uniformly.
biggrin.gif

The mid foot stabilizer strap keeps the laces from flyin' around and hookin' on stuff while ridin'. It should also provide a little support to the foot in the event of a get off. The boots seem to be very well put together and should be very protective.

Here's a pic of what they look like. Two more pics with more comments to follow as quick as I can type 'em.
wink.gif

iconsd_01.jpg

The sides are very supportive and so is the sole. They obviously have some sort of metal strip in the soles. It's SOOOOO nice to finally ride with a pair of boots made for ridin'! My work boots (Rocky 1st Meds) and my casual boots that I rode in before gettin' these just didn't provide the support that the Icons do. The soles of the non-ridin' boots let the pegs dig into the bottoms of my feet. The Icons spread the pressure from the pegs along the bottom of my feet. MUCH more comfortable!

Here's another shot of the boots. In addition to bein' solid and well built, I think they're also very nice lookin' boots with jeans.
wink.gif

iconsd_02.jpg

nice review BT
How does the toe fit under the shifter?
My workboots are hard to shift with kinda thick, but i have a pair of steel toe sneakers that i can shift great with

Another area in which the purpose designed ridin' boots SHINE over my other boots is shiftin' up. Ridin' in tennis shoes (when I first got 'er. Know better now.
wink.gif
) usually left a raw spot on top of my foot from the shifter. My work boots and casual boots prevented the raw spot but it still made the top of my left foot sore from shiftin'.

The Icons are re-enforced in the area where the shifter hits my foot. With the Icons I can feel pressure on the top of my foot but the top of the boot spreads the pressure out across the top of my foot like the soles do with the peg pressure. I can tell I'm pushin' the shifter but it's uniform pressure across my foot instead of a pressure point where the shifter hits the boot. The Icons also have little rubber nibs on the re-enforced area to interface with the rubber shifter knob for positive engagement.

I found that with the Icons I can "feel" the shift better. I could actually tell a couple times that I was limp shiftin' second. As soon as I felt it I reapplied pressure and kept it from jumpin' outta gear into neutral. I could actually feel it go fully into gear when I reapplied pressure. Haven't been havin' a problem with limp shiftin' but I guess since the boots were a little stiff and felt different I wasn't snickin' it in like I always do. I also felt a false neutral between fifth and sixth gears in time to not roll on it between gears. I should say that the limp shiftin' and the false 5/6 neutral were all early on in my ride before I got used to the boots. After several miles and several shifts I was snickin' 'er solidly in gear again and havin' no problems. I attribute my ill shiftin' to gettin' used to the boots and their initial stiffness.

Anyway, here's a pic of the shifter area.
wink.gif

iconsd_03.jpg

wink.gif

nice review BT
How does the toe fit under the shifter?
My workboots are hard to shift with kinda thick, but i have a pair of steel toe sneakers that i can shift great with
Hehehehehehehe... I almost answered this in the post I was typin' when you posted it.
biggrin.gif

To specifically answer yer question though, once I got used to the stiffness of the boots and how they sat on the pegs I was able to get 'em under the shifter and on the rear brake with no problems. The stiff, supportive soles did take a little gettin' used to before I was comfortable with shiftin' and brakin'.
wink.gif

I meant to add that the only "problem" with 'em so far is that the metal in the sole sort of clicks when I walk. It sounds and feels just like the center of the soles are stickin' to the floor and sorta poppin' loose as I lift my foot. Not really a problem. Maybe just a niggle. I fell like the support and comfort while ridin' is a worth while trade off for the tiny click.
wink.gif

i guess i have my shifter set for my steel toe sneakers and not my workboots because it left a wear mark on the edge of my boot because i cant get the workboot completely under the shifter

any marks from the shifter yet?
id like to see where it hits on the top of the boot
I looked closely but couldn't tell for sure. Looks like maybe a tiny bit of wear startin' in the area circled in yellow in this pic, but it's so minor it's hard to tell. I think this is about right though.

iconsd_03_copy.jpg

thats a good spot
on my workboots the wear is like on the leftof the circle in your pic on the seam, so sometime it slides off

thats a good spot
on my workboots the wear is like on the leftof the circle in your pic on the seam, so sometime it slides off
Yeah, I was gettin' positive engagement and VERY good feedback from the shifter with these boots. I had it jump outta second once or twice and had a couple false 5/6 neutrals right after I got Da' Train new but I was never able to feel 'em as they happened like I could with the Icons this evenin'.

Had a great overall ride as a matter of fact. Smooth, easy ridin'. I rode to the "company" cook out and then took a nice liesurely cruise around the county afterwards. Don' think I even got above 7k rpm or 80 mph all day. I think that's a first for me since buyin' 'er.
wink.gif
Had one popo that I think was turnin' around on me but it was in some twisties. He hit brakes and started onto the right shoulder but I never saw 'im again. I was (only) goin' 50 in a 35 (I swear to goodness I didn't realize I was goin' that fast until I saw him and looked at the speedo!) and didn't speed up or take off. Don't know what happened to him. He was in the same area when I came back through on the way home but he just sat there and watched me pass. I figured not havin' a tag on 'er I'd prolly get pulled if I was spotted. Still waitin' on my personalized tag to get here. Oh well, I guess I'm lucky.
wink.gif

wink.gif

thanx for the info on the boots
im heading to bed  
got the isle of man TT taping at 11:30 on speed

<!--EDIT|atticdog
Reason for Edit: None given...|1086404070 -->

Hey BT,

Not trying to jack your thread here, and don't think I am since it's on the topic.....

Did you ever get the Sidi Vertebra 2 Air's? I'd like to hear your impressions of those boots as well...thinking of picking some up....

Thanks!
Monty

Hey BT,

Not trying to jack your thread here, and don't think I am since it's on the topic.....

Did you ever get the Sidi Vertebra 2 Air's?  I'd like to hear your impressions of those boots as well...thinking of picking some up....

Thanks!
Monty
Yep, I got 'em but haven't rode in 'em. I'll prolly take 'em out for a roll sometime soon just to try 'em out. Prolly won't wear 'em much until I get some leathers to go with 'em. They're a little, ummm, extreme to wear with jeans unless I'm just out ridin'. Not exactly the kind of boots you'd wear to a social function like the company cookout.
wink.gif
I'll be sure and post a review on 'em after I get a ride in with 'em.

I can tell you that they aren't as stiff as the Icons, but they seem every bit as supportive and even more protective in the ankle area. The SIDI's "vertebra" system provides some structural support to the ankle in addition to an ankle puck that should absorb some grindin' in a slide. I'm certain I'd rather be wearin' the SIDI's if I crashed hard.
wink.gif

wink.gif

Thanks for thr review BT ... I need to upgrade my casual boot to something heavier. I'll definitely consider the Icons. That company is putting out some neat stuff. I ve got there jeans and gloves and I want that Burner jacket real bad!

I finally got to take a decent ride in my new ICON Super Duty boots that I bought from newenough.com. Thought I'd post a few words about 'em in case someone is lookin' for a pair of "casual ridin'" boots...

Ok, they're not even close to broke in so I can't really say how comfortable they will ultimately be. I will say that even though they're pretty stiff, they were still more comfortable than a lot of new tennis shoes I've bought. They're stiff in general but with no pressure points or tight areas. They fit my big azz hoof quite uniformly.
biggrin.gif

The mid foot stabilizer strap keeps the laces from flyin' around and hookin' on stuff while ridin'. It should also provide a little support to the foot in the event of a get off. The boots seem to be very well put together and should be very protective.

Here's a pic of what they look like. Two more pics with more comments to follow as quick as I can type 'em.
wink.gif
Hey BT,

I knew you would like them. I've had mine for a couple of months now, and they are GREAT!! No need in me giving my review because you've pretty much covered everything. The only other thing I can say is that they also come in this color.

Brian

Back