icon Lid

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
Anyone here using an Icon airframe helmet??? Considering getting the Hayabusa Icon Airframe lid.

I have a G Max an a Shoei atm each have there ups an downs.

Does the Icon slide through wind well... not to much head shake at high way speeds I mean???

i had an icon domain and an icon domain 2 and i liked them very much. i lost the domain (long story) and i sold the domain 2 here on the .org and bought a shoei rf1k and i love it. never had an airframe but if it feels good and u like it go 4 it. gear is the best money spent

I've had one Icon helmet and that will be my last. Fit and finish sub par, optics suck, fogs up bad. You get what you pay for

I have the HJC AC12 carbon fiber and it's very good but not great. I have 2 KBCs and they are very good as well, I just got 2 Shoei Multitechs and they are very good but my Icon Alliance is my favorite so far.... Sorry - no Icon Airframe yet, I guess my post is worthless - oops, sorry!

I've had one Icon helmet and that will be my last. Fit and finish sub par, optics suck, fogs up bad. You get what you pay for

Those helmets aren't cheap at least in price imo will keep your other remaks in mind when I look at it an test the fit.

I have both an Icon Airframe and a Shoei RF1000, but I find myself using the Shoei more often. One of the main reasons that I'm not so keen on the Airframe is that it is *extremely* difficult to wear glasses with it. I've pretty much bent my frames all to hell putting them on while wearing that helmet. With the Shoei, they just slide right in, no issues at all. Also, and this might just be my mechanical ineptitude, but changing the visor out on the Icon seems like it's way harder than it should be. Overall, I don't think the Airframe is a bad helmet but I doubt if I'll be buying another one, especially when a comparably priced Shoei fits me better - and is lighter too.

I have the Airframe, Domain, Domain 2, and Alliance SSR and I love all of them! Have I had any other ZXY brand? Yes I have had them in the past 40 years and that is my opinion...past tense.

ICON all the way.

You get what you pay for...at least that's the fact with ICON. Your upholstery is washable, replaceable, and the fit can be tailored to your face by buying different sized panels to your desire.

Shield replacement doesn't require much mechanical skills, but you'd be pulling a ricshaw if you didn't have any...skills that is.

I have the Icon Airframe Hayabusa helmet. I like the helmet a lot but I think the sizes run a little small. My Shoei RF1000's are XXL, so I though I would need an XXL in the Icon. Wrong.................I should have bought a XXXL.

BMW5

DSC00007.jpg

being a resident of south florida?...where the roads are long, flat straight and boring as he11?...i've had the opportunity to do extensive high speed work...and this is where the lids are seperated from the finer..more wind-slick...extremely well engineered race helmets that shine down on the competition..via prolonged high speed wind pressure and neck fatigue.

I once bought a $199 scorpion/exo fury lid that i thought i was thrilled with until i did anything over 120mph for more than 10 minutes...then?..the sheild cracked at the hinge at 180....thought a road pebble hit me when it happened..didn't notice until i got back from the ride..and that was the moment i decided..no more $200 lids for me...and if i'm spending the big bucks?...i'm gett'in the big names...and pending head shape/fit or latest model/spec/tech?...it's either shoei or aria (maybe agv) for me...the big boys..race developed gear...not street poser developed gear plastered with corprorate billboards..the ones that save the advertising for the track...race proven winners...recently?..i'm still in love with my shoei X11 TC-5 Vermulen...which is extremely wind-slick...as in...a buck 80 and you don't even know ya got a lid on your head...

shoei1.jpg

shoei2.jpg

shoei3.jpg

shoei4.jpg

JMHO & L8R, Bill. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
being a resident of south florida?...where the roads are long, flat straight and boring as he11?...i've had the opportunity to do extensive high speed work...and this is where the lids are seperated from the finer..more wind-slick...extremely well engineered race helmets that shine down on the competition..via prolonged high speed wind pressure and neck fatigue.

I once bought a $199 scorpion/exo fury lid that i thought i was thrilled with until i did anything over 120mph for more than 10 minutes...then?..the sheild cracked at the hinge at 180....thought a road pebble hit me when it happened..didn't notice until i got back from the ride..and that was the moment i decided..no more $200 lids for me...and if i'm spending the big bucks?...i'm gett'in the big names...and pending head shape/fit or latest model/spec/tech?...it's either shoei or aria (maybe agv) for me...the big boys..race developed gear...not street poser developed gear plastered with corprorate billboards..the ones that save the advertising for the track...race proven winners...recently?..i'm still in love with my shoei X11 TC-5 Vermulen...which is extremely wind-slick...as in...a buck 80 and you don't even know ya got a lid on your head...

shoei1.jpg

shoei2.jpg

shoei3.jpg

shoei4.jpg

JMHO & L8R, Bill. :cool:

Thank you all for your input:bowdown: I found a helmet I really liked an recently ordered it. I didn't go with the Icon lid. the Icon helmet was really nice but I do have a Shoei for those long straight line rides we do here in Fl. So I actually bought me a really off the wall helmet won't say what it is, cause I don't want to get flamed :laugh: or maybe even banned :whistle:

Ive used Icon, Each lid has its ups and down....just because its a Shoei or Arai it does not mean it will protect you best. Depends on what you get, I have an Icon Domain 2 and it is a great lid, except that it broke on the side plates, replaced them and havent had a problem since, Had a Shoei RF1000 and in and accident crapped out, yep a Shoeii, Also have a Scorpion EXO1000 and its a nice really nice lid too. My favorite was the rf100 due to fit, but after spending that money and it cracking so easily not buying it anymore maybe a newer version...Had an High Speed accident on a smae model Scorpion I hvae now, helmet was almost intact besides the impact area....My friend had an Head on collision with a car that was doing an illegal U turn in a blind turn, was wearing an Icon, helmet protected him completely.

Ive used Icon, Each lid has its ups and down....just because its a Shoei or Arai it does not mean it will protect you best. Depends on what you get, I have an Icon Domain 2 and it is a great lid, except that it broke on the side plates, replaced them and havent had a problem since, Had a Shoei RF1000 and in and accident crapped out, yep a Shoeii, Also have a Scorpion EXO1000 and its a nice really nice lid too. My favorite was the rf100 due to fit, but after spending that money and it cracking so easily not buying it anymore maybe a newer version...Had an High Speed accident on a smae model Scorpion I hvae now, helmet was almost intact besides the impact area....My friend had an Head on collision with a car that was doing an illegal U turn in a blind turn, was wearing an Icon, helmet protected him completely.

I haven't crash tested my Shoei yet I hope I never do :please: But i did get to crash test my G Max 100.00 lid an it was an 80 mph roll through the asphalt an it did it's job well, barely a few scratches. My head was bouncing on the asphalt instead of gliding across it. But since it did crash I think it should be retired an replaced regardless. Hence my new purchase. Although it was a great lid because of all the extra vents it was really a bad lid for highway riding, never the less I will be eternally grateful to it for keeping my squishy center inside where it belongs:beerchug: Glad you liked your scorpion cause that is what I ordered after I tried it on. :laugh:

My husband got the Airframe helmet and he has only worn it a couple times. He does not like all of the wind noise. (He say's it, "whistles")

Bought the Mrs. an Airframe for when we're two up and she really likes it. She's tiny, so the light weight is important to her. The sizes do seem to run small as someone else stated earlier. She wears a medium Icon while she wears a small in other brands. Overall, seems like a good lid.

Back