I went sight seeing

S7R4NGER

Registered
Near where I live, there is this monument - The Statue of Christ The King.
I went there and took some pictures... It is busa related, because I went there riding my beloved falcon :-)

Imagem_036.jpg

The statue of Cristo-Rei (Christ the King), overlooking the city of Lisbon, portrays the Sacred Heart inviting all of humanity to come to him through love.

Imagem_015.jpg

The Monument Details:
Collin
Height of the hill above the river Tagus  - 113 m
The monument itself    
Height - 110,60 m
Depth of the bracket - 14 m
Volume of the whole complex of reinforced concrete - 20.000 m3
Weigh - 41 thousand metric tons (1 ton - 2204.6 lbs)
Base - 25 metres by 25 metres
Pedestal - 82 square metres
Statue - 28 square metres
Visibility - from 20 kilometres
Details of the Statue
Head - 4,05 m
Heart - 1,89 m
Arms - 10 m
Sleeves (height) - 5 m
Spanse, from fingertip to fingertip - 28 m

esquema.jpg

S7R, I visited Lisbon about (....calculator needed....) 24 years ago when I was 14.  I remember those twisting streets and the guys buzzing through them with their euro brand bikes.  (you probably have to stay in first or second for most of your city riding on that Busa).  Anyway, the the city blew me away.  I really need to save some dough and plan a trip through europe on a bike.  Portugal is a beautiful place.  

sidebar: One stupid and funny thing I did back then you probably couldn't do now was I bought a pair real and heavy brass knuckles at a Lisbon street market and managed to get them all the way through the airports and back into Canada (where my parents live) .  now remember, I was 12 or 14 yrs old at the time, so I didn't know much about how stupid that was then and how insane that would be to try now.  and besides they were great for punching steel hotel garbage cans.  Pretty good paper weight too.  It wasn't until years later they made them a felony to own them.  I think they are still in a dusty old box at my parents.  probably time to turn them in.

....anyhow, welcome to the board S7r, great pictures.  You reminded me that there's a big old world out there waiting to be discovered.

IndyDave,

Those knuckles musta been handy to have. I mean, I don't know how many times I've been minding my own business when all of a sudden I was attacked by a steel hotel garbage can!!!

jump9.gif

S7R4NGER,

Great shots. Mind sharing what kind of camera you used? I'm kinda into photography and plan to use my busa to get to photo ops like this... when I finally get a busa, that is.
smile.gif

IndyDave,

Those knuckles musta been handy to have. I mean, I don't know how many times I've been minding my own business when all of a sudden I was attacked by a steel hotel garbage can!!!

jump9.gif

S7R4NGER,

Great shots. Mind sharing what kind of camera you used? I'm kinda into photography and plan to use my busa to get to photo ops like this... when I finally get a busa, that is.
smile.gif
I have never been attacked by a steel hotel garbage can, but now that IndyDave has mentioned it I've seen a few looking very suspiciously.

I used a Kodak DC-280 Digital Camera.

I used a DC280 at work for a while. It was great for what we used it for. Thanks for the reply and watch out for those rogue garbage cans! They'll squirrel ya when you ain't lookin'...
wink.gif

IndyDave,

have never been attacked by a steel hotel garbage can, but now that IndyDave has mentioned it I've seen a few looking very suspiciously.
hey, it's all fun and games until a steel hotel garbage can attacks from behind!

I should've mention why "hotels" as opposed to plain jane gas station, shopping mall, or the neighbors garbage can, but of course I was 14, in Lisbon, and travelling with my parents. I had to try em out - gheesh!

istn lisbon where all the partys and Dj`s hang out and make all the realy good dance records?

always wanted to vist places across the pond.

Back