I need an air compressor education

mattyss

Rockin My Reflectors
Donating Member
Registered
I need an air compressor education

I'm in the market for an air compressor my reason for purchase is for doing the rest of the finish moldings around my house and I think anyone will do for that .But if I'm spending the money anyway I would also like to have one in garage to run air tools and also i wanted to try and learn how to paint fairing's nothing fancy just single color paint jobs .

my question is does anyone know of a good multi use air compressor that is small enough to get inside the house and use from room to room for molding and even though it is small in size still has the power to run air tool and sanders and to use to paint .Ill be buying it in home depot as i have 300 in gift from them for Christmas .

So please let me know what you have what you use it for and if your happy with it

This is the one I am thinking about anyone know if it will work for for all the things i want to use it for

Porter-Cable
3Php 4.5Gal Job Boss Compressor

Model C3151

This 3.5HP (peak), 4.5 gallon, oil-free contractor style compressor is packed with features. It starts with the oil-free pump which is designed for durability and long use. It also packs 150 PSI in the tank for longer tool run time. The High-flo air regulator and 2-port removable console are winning combinations for contractors. Having the ability to remove the console gives the user the opportunity to remote air regulation and gain higher air pressure closer to the job site. The full roll cage frame adds protection for the pump and motor. Include mobility kit for increased portability on the jobsite.

• 1.6 HP (running) 4.5 gallon, mobile, contractor-style, single tank air compressor.
• 120 Volts/60 Hertz/1 Phase.
• 2-port removable console to allow remote air regulation and higher air pressure closer to the job site.
• Full roll cage frame for pump and motor protection.

131013_3.jpg

A lot of contractors use CO2 nailers for finishing and some for framing. I just bought the cheapest thing Wal-Mart had, but all I was doing was maintaining air pressure in tires of POVs.

For painting you'll definately need clean, dry air.

If you wanna be able to run air tools,sanders/grinders/paint guns ect. You should get at least a 5 HP with a 30 gal. tank....
I dont care what anyone else tells you.

That compressor should work fine. You may want to add a filter prior to spraying paint, but it will work like a charm. I run a number of air nailers, etc with one very similar.

(brendanp @ Jan. 10 2007,18:03) If you wanna be able to run air tools,sanders/grinders/paint guns ect. You should get at least a 5 HP with a 30 gal. tank....
Agreed, if you are using "real" tools you will need atleast that.

If you use the autozone or pepboys tools with the plastic yellow coil hose you will be fine with the little one.

(heavybusa @ Jan. 10 2007,15:11)
(brendanp @ Jan. 10 2007,18:03) If you wanna be able to run air tools,sanders/grinders/paint guns ect. You should get at least a 5 HP with a 30 gal. tank....
Agreed, if you are using "real" tools you will need atleast that.

If you use the autozone or pepboys tools with the plastic yellow coil hose you will be fine with the little one.
+1

(brendanp @ Jan. 10 2007,15:03) If you wanna be able to run air tools,sanders/grinders/paint guns ect. You should get at least a 5 HP with a 30 gal. tank....
+2 sanders and other air tools require alot of volume. 30 gal tank at least is a must. The porter Cable one shown will work great for nailers, but will not keep up with sanders, impact wrenches, paint guns, die grinders etc.

The specification to measure and judge by is the compressors "C.F.M. Rating"...(cubic feet per minute)...and then make certain that you buy a compressor capable of keeping up with the air tools you wish to use CFM requirements for use..

I will just have to get one for now and not plan on running tool with it .A 30 gallon tank would be hard to drag all around the house to do my crown moldings .In time ill get a real big one for tools. I guess for now ill go with the cheap pancake model porter cable makes it comes with the brad nailer for $179. Thanks for the info

and one more thing while i have some peoples attention .If i got a big one like 25 gallon + could i run a nailer on a 75 - 100 ' air hose would it still work maybe i could leave it in the garage and just run the hose to where i need it

Yes you can leave it in the garage and run lots of hose. Buy 3/8th silicone hoses if you live where it gets cold, the orange ones HD sells SUCK. I run a Craftsman 6.5HP 30 gallon at 150 PSI and feed that into an 80 gallon tank for 110 gallons of air. I have a regulator on the output of the 80 gallon set at 90 PSI. The Compressor hardly ever runs unless I am running the grinder or sanding something of size. It will sandblast but still really isn't big enough for it to come out perfect. It runs my framing, roofing and finish nailers with no problems at all.

The 80 gallon tank was an old compressor from a gas station that was closing. The thing was seized so I scrapped the motor and resealed the tank... I got it for nothing, they were happy to see it go.

I have run up to 150' of hose with no issues, skip the yellow coiled crap and keep at least one hose for "indoor only" use. If you drag a greasy garage hose through the living room your spouse will be pissed.

(mattyss @ Jan. 10 2007,17:59) and one more thing while i have some peoples attention .If i got a big one like 25 gallon + could i run a nailer on a 75 - 100 ' air hose would it still work maybe i could leave it in the garage and just run the hose to where i need it
Now your talking. Thats the way to go if your budget can afford it. The reason most contractors use the pancake compressor is they go from job to job and they are easy to transport. Nailguns use just a short burst of air, where most airtools use a constant flow. You can use as long of an airhose as you need from the compressor to the job. The same cannot be said of an electrical extension cord. Unless you have an industrial size cord, your compressor will trip the breaker. Bigger is better when your talking compressors unless you need to transport them alot.

I have a compressor with a 60 gallon tank bolted to my garage floor to run my power tools. Check out the tools you think you will be using for their CFM rating. Make sure you buy a compressor that will handle the highest continuous CFM. Usually, that will end up being a sander if you are going to get one.

A 125' hose is enough to run the framing nailer in the basement. Your compressor performance will be better keeping the power cord short and adding air hose to reach where you need to go.

(GSXcite @ Jan. 10 2007,22:01)
(mattyss @ Jan. 10 2007,17:59) and one more thing while i have some peoples attention .If i got a big one like 25 gallon + could i run a nailer on a 75 - 100 ' air hose would it still work maybe i could leave it in the garage and just run the hose to where i need it
Now your talking. Thats the way to go if your budget can afford it. The reason most contractors use the pancake compressor is they go from job to job and they are easy to transport. Nailguns use just a short burst of air, where most airtools use a constant flow. You can use as long of an airhose as you need from the compressor to the job. The same cannot be said of an electrical extension cord. Unless you have an industrial size cord, your compressor will trip the breaker. Bigger is better when your talking compressors unless you need to transport them alot.
you will love a big stand up and a roll out hose.
beerchug.gif

i have a 30 gallon 6.4 craftsman in my shed , built a work bench on top of it , so it isnt " hey can i borow your air compressor " mobile ! i have 100 ft of hose on a reel and an additional 150 ft can reach just about any where on the property { encase of a flat tire in the driveway} the hoses are cheap they come in 50 ft lengths and use quick connects to snap together this would be the way to go , my setup with all the hose, connectors, air compressor, and some air tools that were included , air rachet impact gun blow gun , was just under 300 dollars.

running a compressor inside a house gets noisy and shakes the whole place , you will enjoy it more if it is in the garage ! quiet !

I went to the depot again tonight and I think ill pick this one up in the morning
HUSKY
1.7 Running Hp, 26 Gallon Horizontal/vertical Compressor

Model WL6507
thanks again for the advise

165616_3.jpg

(mattyss @ Jan. 10 2007,21:48) I went to the depot again tonight and I think ill pick this one up in the morning
 HUSKY
1.7 Running Hp, 26 Gallon Horizontal/vertical Compressor

Model WL6507
 thanks again for the advise
Not gonna cut it for the shop work Bro
sad.gif

Back