Air compressors/painters!

Phrogg

Registered
So I'm looking to get an air compressor for a friend who has helped me an insane amount over this past year with the bike and other vehicles. Mainly just by letting me use his garage to store and work on things so I'm not outside. lol Anyway, the one thing his garage is missing is an air compressor. I don't know much about these other then they compress air and allow me to use air tools, which would be helpful! I also want him to be able to use it for painting purposes as well. Would just any air compressor do, or how much psi does one need to do things? Any information would be helpful.

Honestly, if he's going to be painting he's going to need a pretty big compressor. Probably 60 gallons so the compressor dosent constantly run every 1/2 second. Also do you know if he has a 240V in the garage or only a 120? Also whats your price range? You also need to worry about CFM a little more then PSI for painting.

Honestly this is the best bang for your buck. 3.5 HP, 60 Gallon, 130 PSI Compressor

Tell me a little more if this is out or your range and he has no 240V and i'll try and find you a decent compressor.

Head up to Harbor Freight and 3.5 horse , personly I have a 20 Gallon and it does fine knocking off lugs off the car , if you run somthing like a side winder, it will run a little bit , but what ever you get him make sure it is a upright compresser , they take less room!

I'm not entirely sure about his garage and volts. I will ask him.

As far as price range. I'm thinking $300 would have to be the most I want to spend. As far as painting goes. I don't know how much or how big of pieces he would want to paint. I don't think it would be anything to extreme. Don't they make spray guns that can run on lower pressure now? What does HVLP mean when it comes to spray guns?

I'm not entirely sure about his garage and volts. I will ask him.

As far as price range. I'm thinking $300 would have to be the most I want to spend. As far as painting goes. I don't know how much or how big of pieces he would want to paint. I don't think it would be anything to extreme. Don't they make spray guns that can run on lower pressure now? What does HVLP mean when it comes to spray guns?

Honestly 300 would get you a decent compressor but not a great one. Maybe just get him a Harbor Freight Gift card and he can pitch in a couple hundred of his own $$ to get a semi decent compressor. If you get one from Sears you'll get a 33 gallon comperssor for that 300. Best compressors for the buck are Harbor Freights, believe it or not. This is about the best thing you'll get Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more Unless you get a walmart kobalt or check around CL.

If he has a 240, i'd just talk to him and get the 60 gallon. It's big enough and amazing for the price.

i paint for a living, i have a 5hp 60 gallon at my house and its barely enough. if he is going to be running a d/a sander or inline sander they use alot of air. if two guys are using it at the same time its not going to be enough. you can get by with a smaller compressor for mechanical work, but auto body needs more. you dont want your compressor running alot when you are painting because it will put contaminants in the air lines. we have a 25 hp 100 gallon compressor at the shop, and we only have 4 guys. i would suggest a minimum of 5hp 60 gal for a small shop that is not getting used alot everyday.

240 is a snap to put in as long as you arent scared of a little juice.My buddy paints with a 5hp 30 gallon and has no problem with it.Has had that air compressor for like 15 years and still painting with it.Keeping up with sanders is another story.

I thought a 30 gallon would be sufficient. I mean only one guy is going to be using it at a time, and we are not going to be doing full body painting with it. I was just hoping he would be able to do it and it would provide sufficient pressure or constant pressure for him. Thanks for the input guys.

Back