I need a good head porter 4 my Busa

OB_Kamikaze

Registered
Anyone have any suggestions for a reputable head porter,I hear this Laser porting is suppose to be good,I plan on having a clean up job and milling done on my Busa,along with my Akrapovic pipe.

if i were some of you guy's i would only mention names of people that have already worked with the Busa head!

the Busa package is totally different from any motor in the past.

things that work for those setups wont always work on this bike!

get yourself someone with experience!

Kamikaze, on dragbike.com there have been numerous praises for Terry Reid(Reed?), and he is not too far from us! (Toledo area). If it was me, I'd call him and/or visit him. I'm not sure how familiar he is with the late model stuff, but it sounds like he is VERY sharp. Can't hurt to check him out...Tom Gafa

Standard off the shelf 1mm over intake and exhaust are available now...also Web has several cam combo`s....same with pistons...on shelf now. Most gains will be at the seat and not in port...especially for a street engine. Has anyone tried the intake cam on the exhaust side yet...will it work? I`ve got a pile of stuff on the way...just wondering about the cam switch...sounds close to what aftermarket grind is now. Have been advised to pin the sprocket on camshaft after degreeing due to slippage. I never have had this problem before...anyone want to comment on that?

hope you got your stuff for a good price. i had a little slippage with the cams so pinning them might be a good ideal. are you doing all of your work yourself?

Bob Carpenter 856-753-1555 &
Gatlin Racing 314-645-6633
both have numerous busas on the street with more then just head work and they both are very reasonable.

A little word about porting.
Those days of easy horsepower through porting is long gone. The stock Hayabusa head is already flowing some incredible numbers.
In fact it flows more than a 4-valve pro-stock head did only a couple of years back.
Measured at 28 inches of water , the stock head flows 225cfm. If u arent familiar with those numbers a old GSXR1100 head flowed around 150cfm ( stock), and a pro-stock head of a GS1100 with 32-28 valves around 220-230cfm. These readings are taken at 10mm valvelift. at lower lift the flow will be lower and here is the problem. The stock head is almost impossible to modify to flow more ( at the low lift the stock camshafts deliver)unless U change the valves.
If U port the head U can maybye expect to get 235-240cfm but only at lifts where the stock cams never comes near.
So if U want power through porting your head, expect to install bigger valves or camshafts. ( Ok , the exhaust can be modifyed a little but its at the intake the powergains can be exepted to be found )

I AM PUTTING MONEY ON TERRY REID!!!
419-522-9257
OH DID I MENTION THAT HE ACTUALLY CHARGES A FAIR PRICE.
I saw one of his Pro Stock heads, it was orgasmic, sort of like Pamela Anderson's naked body...in a cylinder head.
Ask him to show you his ONE piece, all bronze, combustion chamber cylinder head With relocated valve angles so he can stick even bigger valves than the biggest that you normally can stuff in.
The End

Turbo I have a friend that runs shop....he is a distributor for most everything known to man. He got smart years ago and became a distributor...he bought 50000 dollars of this and that at a time but now he`s the man. If you need something mail me he has it...he supplies people like Star,Orient on some things,etc. Yes I intend on doing all assembly...friend has serti..he will do head and I will assemble and check spring pressures,coil bind etc. If you want to do your own assembly mail me and will get you in touch..he has complete machine shop and I mean complete...best friend works for him too.

Generally most port jobs for the street are basically just clean up jobs. Casting marks are removed and everything is made to look nice and pretty. The intake/exhaust design and form is the same as when you sent it out. It just flows a little better due to all the imperfections in the casting being removed and if your lucky, they may even relieve the valve pockets a little.
Heads(street applications, stage 1 whatever everyone calls it)I have seen come back from some of the above places werent too impressive when I checked the flow. I have access to a flow bench. Yes, I know flow isnt everything. The heads I am talking about didnt make the greatest horsepower either when dynoed.
I am not nocking anyones work, but the basic head cleanup which most of you (Y'all in Texas) are interested in can be done yourself.
Obviously I am referring to someone who can dissassemble and assemble their own head/motor. If you can dont be scared, try it. Dont change anything drastically, just make it look like it should. I use the Dremmel setup that hangs from a stand, about$200. Every one of my motors I have done the head on always make at least the same HP as the ones that get sent out. Its amazing I must be naturally gifted in the head porting area. NOT. Its just not that difficult!

Back in 93 I had an FZR 1000 that I was tired of paying people to do so called performance mods to, so I did the head myself. All my friends thought I was an Idiot. Well when you kick the stuffing out of a street motor from one or two of the previously mentioned, they tend to change their minds.

Obviously when it comes to real race motor porting, reshaping of the intake/exhaust, cutting out floors, epoxy and all that techno garbola, leave that to the pros.

All I am saying is dont get taken for a grand, for something so basic. If you want real head work, pay the big bucks for larger valves, cams, compression etc. Then you can also spend $6 per gallon for the gas you will have to run in your bike.
We all flow our own heads and have never been disappointed.

A serti can open up stock seats for stock valves..its hard to duplicate that with a dremel tool. You are right about these 1000 dollar port jobs....and I agree completely try to do all your own work if at all possible.

Cylinder Head Work:

People I have done business with and recommend:

Harry's Machined Parts 508-366-1455

Orient Express 800-645-6521

Racing Engine Service 817-783-6699

Places I DON'T recommend:

Never mind, the list would be too long!!!!!

A friend of mine had some headwork done by Lee's Perf. and he was not happy with it,I'll be talking to Lazer porting and this Terry Reid guy,thanx people.

Back