I might trade in my new Bus!?!

OB_CanuckBusa

Registered
I'm trying to make a similar decision: invest some money in the Busa and drop weight like Omega has done ($$$ ouch), buy an R1/929/9R, or do nothing - just ride the Busa. One thing the Busa does real well - haul two people around at a rapid clip. I am amazed how well it handles with two people in the corners. Chalk one up to versatility. The other bikes I mentioned are questionable in that regard other than maybe the 9R. So in the end that may convince me to keep the Big Bird.

The cycle mags try to persuade you that your bike is outdated as soon as you get it. But, in the end I have found that there is no such thing as the perfect bike. Just try to enjoy the one you have as long as you choose to keep it.

Dude, I have to say that unless you are a professional level rider I don't think you could ever go beyond the limits of a Busa. Today's bikes are so competent that I think it is nitpicking when someone says I like one bike over the other. I chose the Bus because it is more comfortable for me at 6'3" than any other sport bike out there except for the XX. Although I like the XX I am partial to Suzuki's and the fact that the Bus is faster didn't hurt. So the Yamaha wheelies and stoppies better than the Bus but to say to 150 it is not that much faster is crazy. Try a 70mph roll on in 2nd gear against a R1 and see how much diff. there is.

For Fun try buying a used 1987 YSR-50,stoppies and wheelies all you want for under $2,000, to keep up with the R-1 try a used 98 TL1000R or newer modified still cheaper than the R-1 and then keep your Hayabusa,now you have the best of all worlds for cheaper.

I agree with Vortech. I mean, say you race an R1 from a 40mph roll. Just guessing it might take maybe 2 or 3 seconds to get over 100mph...again just guessing. How bad do you expect to pull someone in 2 or 3 seconds?
Even better than a 70mph roll....go to the track and watch the Hayabusa put at least 10 bike lengths and 10 or 12mph on an R1 in the 1/4th mile.

I too like wheelies at will so I plan on dropping a tooth in the front. This helped tremendously with my other bikes. Maybe you should try this first.....its cheap!

Like Vortech said, unless you're a pro rider...

If I want a faster ride, the best place for me to look by far is the part of the bike that's on top of the seat. A really good rider on any of these bikes will stomp a squid rider on any of them. Just my opinion, I'm looking for a better rider (to improve myself) before I look for a better bike.

I think before I traded my Busa I would put a 16 tooth front sprocket or 42 tooth rear. That will let you wheelie you and the bike to hell and back. Costs perhaps $50. Brakes are fixeable too. Handling could be improved with Dymags Ohlins etc. The Busa will never corner like an R1 but it's not far behind as a stocker. The above changes would make it a lot closer.

I looked at an R1 seriously before I bought my Busa. The ergo's eliminated it for me (I'm an OLD 5'9"). The bars are mounted below the triple clamp which was painful to me just sitting on in a showroom.

Finally the Busa is not for everyone and there are lots of fine machines out there. I like the new R6. Good Luck in your search for your perfect bike. Let us know what you do.

You don't need that much space to use the Busa power if you choose to. I can hit 175mph and come back down to 50mph in far less than a mile. Matter a fact I do it often on 3 lane stretch of road near me.
but, your style of riding soounds to be better suited to the lighter R1. Get what makes you smile more!

AS far as a test in South Africa, The 12R still weighs over 520 lbs w/ a relatively long wheelbase. Its not gonna keep up with the R1 in the TIGHT turns. Sorry, do not believe that.

the busa is more comfortable and has a better powerband.i owned 2 r1s and now own 2 busas.the big bike is a lot more stable but not as flickable but a lot slower

oh mannnn/ someone check his temp!!!! he gots to be illliiiinnnnn!!! BUSAS RULE!!!

It's simple. You need two bikes. The busa and the R1.
OOps 3. A gold Wing. Maybe 4? Gotta have a dirt bike. Definately 4. Or...if you also want a fixer upper... And a dragbike?

After reading all of your responses and doing some more thinking of my own. I'm gonna keep the Busa and try the mods some of you suggested. I do like the Busa a lot - I'm just suffering from a little "R1 withdrawl." I also noticed how much easier it is to ride half-naked females on the back on the Busa than it was on my R1. :-)

I cut about 1/2 inch of rubber off the footpegs on my Busa to improve leg room and now my right foot rest on the brake lever is push it down thus applying rear brake. Is there a way I can move the lever down? I looked in the owner's manual and it shows how to move it down but isn't that just for when your brakes pads have worn down? If I use the method in the owners manual will it cause the pads to rub against the rotors?

No it wont, their fully adjustable. When I cut my pegs I had to move both pedals down almost 2 inches from where they were. By going to a full ti exhaust you'll drop 25lbs. A few more tricks and your over 30. Then stiffen up the suspension especially up front, that will make a big difference. Lastly, dymag wheels and pilot sports will put you squarely up the asss of any R1 on just about any stretch of asphalt.

As some of you know I traded in my '99 R1 for a '00 Blue Silver Busa not too long ago. My first impressions of the Busa was that it was the most awesome bike I'd ever ridden. I have put about 1100 miles on it so far and I really like the bike. But I can't say that I'm having as much fun on it as I used to have on my R1. I rode with a friend of mine the other night who just so happens to ride a R1 and we went racing down the highway (late a night very little traffic) and I realized that the R1 is hardly slower than the Bus untill over 150mph..The problem is I don't get many chances to go over 150mph around here so the Bus's amazing top-end it's really useless to me. I'm the squidy type of rider who likes to do wheelies coming around a corner..stoppies..etc..and the Bus just doesn't do them as good. Seems like I'd be happier on the Bus when I get a lil older (if I live that long) and have calmed down a bit. Hell I don't know - right now I'm considering trading my new Bus in for a '00 R1 or a RC51. What do you guys think? I mean don't get me wrong, the Busa is AWESOME..the problem I found is that it just has too much unuseable power! If I lived somewhere with super long straights with no traffic then it would be perfect..however I don't so I'm starting to think I may be bored sick with this Bus in a few months.

Slam, the Busa doesn't do stoppies or wheelies as well as some lighter bikes such as an R1. It's also not quite as good on a really tight road, although it is close. It IS superior in every other area of performance, and is more forgiving of mistakes, as well as being more comfortable.

If wheelies and stoppies are the most important things to you, then you probably need to get a different bike. There are plenty of guys looking for used Busas.

Your observations are very close to mine. The R1 is by far the most popular machine in my area as well and I ride with them all the time. My 1300 is more modified than yours and is 30lbs lighter and geared down. That makes a big difference. Still and all its not the best R1 chaser out there. The bike that will fill my needs precisely is still a myth, the ZX12R. Check labusas site for an article by mcn on the first riding impression to hit print, the bike was tested on a superbike track in south africa and an R1 was on hand. The 12 stayed with it easily in the turns and passed it on the straights like it "missed a gear". If you want R1 handling with busa power this is the bike.

If ya bought a Copper one you wouldn't think of selling it,,"COPPER RULES". Nothing like My Busa, It's a Keeper.
a 4% Pension loan sounds good for a 929 Down the road though Hmmmmm :) ??

161 ®

Slowhand - wheelies and stoppies aren't the most important thing to me..just things I like to do on occasion to have fun. And being 6'3 the Busa isn't much more comfy to me than my R1 was.

It's a little hard to believe a bike as heavy as the zx12r could stay on pace with an R1 around a track. If I could only own both an R1 and a Busa my life would be complete!

Slam,

Let carry the R1/Busa logic out a little further.

An R1 is almost as fast as a Busa
A GSXR7 is alomost as fast as an R1
An R6 is almost as fast as a GSXR7
An F2 is alomts as fast as an R6
A VF750 is almost as fast as an f2
A Vf500 is almost as fast as a VF750

So really the vf500 is damn near as fast as a busa and cost a whole lot less. Why not just go for that? Its almost as fast :)

-Dana

Back