I have a new theory on bipolarism. Is that a word?

yamahor

DEAD MAN WALKING
Donating Member
Registered
Before Reading this, I don't know if this is an actual theory or not, just my own I thought of...

Okay, so it was stated in another thread that I was self admittedly bi-polar... Mainly cause I used to go from incredibly happy one minute to incredibly depressed the next... I've since gotten over it, and haven't had a problem with it for a LONG time. Well, it got me to thinking...

Okay, when I thought I was bi-polar (never diagnosed, just me thinking that), I was hanging around with a friend of mine who was actually diagnosed as bi-polar. He was pretty dang crazy, but I was too nice to just not be around his crazy, drug using azz. (He was so crazy, he though a harley could beat my 900RR and Busa) So anyway, fast forward to now. Haven't seen him in a LONG time, thank god. Well, when I hung around him, I was, in my mind, "bipolar", then when I stopped hanging around him, I got better and better. Mind you, I JUST pieced this together. So, heres my new theory.

Much like how Women who hang around each other can get on the same cycle, or how Men can get sympathy pains for their wives in labor, etc. I think it's possible to get the same symptoms as those you hang around. If you have a friend who's always happy and you're always around them, you're much more prone to be happy than sad. Same as if you're around a crazy person, you're more prone to be crazy. I also think it also coincides with how close you feel to the person. The Crazy guy I hung out with was a real good friend of mine (or so I thought). Same as some current friends of mine. One in our group is always depressed, and I've noticed the others attitudes go down when he's depressed. I, on the other hand, decide to dissapear when he brings up the same tired stuff he's brought up before that he's depressed about. (I think it sounds too familiar to me... like... like I used to do the same thing! lol) Why do I do that? Because it ticks me off and kinda brings me down.

So, my new words of advice. If you find yourself always sad, look at those who surround you... You might find a link to your problems... Or you might find yourself the link to some problems in your friends, in which case, don't go drastic and kill yourself, but tell your friends "sorry if I bring you down" and then work on your problem.

And now, for me. Sorry if I had brought any of you down with my emo past. I've worked on those problems, got rid of the problem, and am now a better man for it.

Serious words from the mind of Yamahor... for once...

I do believe that's completely true...my sister was in with the "emo" crowd when she was younger, and a person that was once happy and strong quickly deteriorated in to someone that WANTED drugs and therapy...she was suicidal, begged my parents to get her on meds. It was insane...

As soon as that phase of her life was gone, she was around "normal" people again and in turn became a more normal working part of society.
smile.gif

Yep, keep yourself around the fun ones Ben...why do you think I hang out with Rita so much?!
tounge.gif

Yep, keep yourself around the fun ones Ben...why do you think I hang out with Rita so much?!
tounge.gif
Cause you like BUTTer knives?
laugh.gif
She and I are a party just waiting to happen...admit it, you hated that you had to leave us?!
tounge.gif
I did. It was fun hanging around you 2... And I got to make fun of you for sitting in the corner!
laugh.gif
Whatever man...
whistling.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

I'm glad you're doing better now Ben.

Life's too short to spend it being down, people down all the time have something wrong, life may throw curveballs sometimes, but there's always good times too.
thumb_up.gif

This is a very nice perspective of your personality.
beerchug.gif

I always had the impression that you are simply a deep thinker like me. Self discovery and self-awareness is a beautiful thing, learning to accept it and press on is even better.
I've had ups and downs, everybody does. The truth is that you emulate those in your peer group. That is why if you tend to be around a lot of really heavy or obese people, the odds are that you will adopt some of their behaviors and end up big too.
The important part is having strong family guidance to steer you through all of the garbage people have floating around them. Without guidance you will eventually figure it out but by then you missed out on a lot of prosperity.

Your introspective assessment is well founded, Ben. Well done, congratulations, and welcome back to normalcy.

Scar

They actually did a study on this and found that humans will actually mimick those they socialize with in a friendship, without even knowing it. They couldn't explain why, or maybe they did and I don't remember, but in the study they watched kids playing in a room where one or two were mentally handicapped. After a time the other kids started mimicking the one child to the point that a Dr actually thought the healthy kids had the same disorder.
Just goes to show that we humans are one hell of a social species.

They actually did a study on this and found that humans will actually mimick those they socialize with in a friendship, without even knowing it. They couldn't explain why, or maybe they did and I don't remember, but in the study they watched kids playing in a room where one or two were mentally handicapped. After a time the other kids started mimicking the one child to the point that a Dr actually thought the healthy kids had the same disorder.
Just goes to show that we humans are one hell of a social species.
Interesting. I know when I used to hang out with my friend Travis, I picked up on calling everyone brah... I don't do it much anymore, but it occasionally slips out.

there is a difference between bipolar, manic/depressive and just simply being a repressed artist. Sounds like you have an identity crisis disorder brought about by an acute inferiority complex due to lack of individualism and self worth, probably stemming from an inability to segregate yourself from others who you feel are more important in life, a way to blend by emulating, rebelling for a cause, mimicking to keep from acknowledging your own insecurities, always using situational attributions for blame's sake. this is why pretty girls always keep a fat girl around...to make them feel better about themselves, but secretly wishing they were different because deep down inside they feel ugly.

some people believe you are who you volunterily associate yourself with, it makes sense because its simpler to understand, easier to categorize the masses than sort each individual factor and try to justify every characteristic. How many islands make up Hawaii?

ok...I've been up for 18 hours and its time for bed.

PS: you sound normal to me...I full of sh!t
beerchug.gif

Ahaaa, Wisdom comes young Ben. You actually hit on a few points contained in my "self-esteem" group. My groups are normally a hit on "the unit".
smile.gif

Chris

BTW. Bipolar disorder is WAY over diagnosed. It has always been pushed heavily by the drug companies. That led to "general" MD's diagnosing and thereby prescribing treatments. However, most have not even cracked the spine on a DSM4.

Here it is in a nutshell.

EVERYBODY has mood swings, that's called normal. When those swings cause minor problems in one's life (that don't last very long) you MAY be able to consider CYCLOTHYMIC disorder.

Only when those swings cause MAJOR problems and last for A LONG time (weeks or longer) can bipolar disorder be considered.

IMHO

+1 ncb. My wife knows a woman who has been diagnosed bipolar. Evidently it's so bad that it keeps her from being able to hold a job and even meds dont make it better to the point where she can work.

Not a place I would want to be - I've seen examples of what it's like for these folks, and I'm just VERY thankful that I'm not bipolar.

Back