I get to our new house last night and...

Tree

Registered
I leave work and head to the old house (hasn't sold yet). Spend about an hour or so loading the bed and cab with "loose" boxes, bags, and stuff that needs moved. I get home with a truck full of crap from our old house. Open the garage door, ##### under my breath because the wife locked the inside door with the nob and deadbolt. I then aragne the stuff I am carrying to key open the door. Walk in, and what do I see? The back door is wide open, and the door to the basement is open. At this point, I run the gauntlet, checking every room and closet in the house, and making sure the dog is OK. Everything is clear, no one there. NOTHING is missing, or out of place. Digital camera was sitting on the table, and everything is still sitting loose or in boxes all over. I must have come home just as they got into the back door. I am guessing they ran out through the basement, and that is why the door was open. But they did take the time to re-lock the knob on the basement door.

OK so now fully angered (Guns were still at the other house in the safe, good thing or I probably would have gone hunting.) I call the LEO's (now we are far enough out that it is the local Sherrif's dept.), they arrive just after the wife gets home. Explain what happened, he fills out the report. (Side note: Very nice guy, polite and informative.) The wife asks "Does this happen often out here?" His reply "No, Not at all.... Except for tonight. My partner is at another house around the corner that was broken into earlier this evening."

Now for the fun part.

I head to Home Depot, pick up new locks and deadbolts for all four doors. Get home and two of the three match. The other we knew would not match as it was a double key entry. Now it's 8:30, and HD closes at 9:00. Wife scrambles out the door with the three that need to have matching keys. She makes it there at 8:wizard: (She speeds exceedingly, and yells at me for it, I'll forgive her this time.) gets the knobs and locks, picks me up a 1" wood chisel (mine is still packed somewhere), and heads home.

Meanwhile, I have the dropsies. Drop the hole saw for the deadbolt (there wasn't one on one of the doors, there is now) on the counter. Leaves a scratch that you can feel but not see. Continue on a little angry, because I had to catch said hole saw when I opened the "quick and easy package" the kit came in. Now hole saw in hand, drill in hand, begin tightening the chuck on the drill, the chuck catches the shaft on the hole saw and flips it out of the chuck and I don't catch it this time. Leaves a nice gouge in the kitchen floor (vinyl). Pick up the hole saw, and drill/cut the hole for the deadbolt. Remove hole saw. Now screw in shaft/drillbit for holesaw won't unscrew. Need to go to basement and look in one tool kit for a wrench that may fit the holesaw. No luck there. On the way back up the stairs...... Yep you guessed it, hole saw slipped out of my hands. I caught it this time, not without gouging two, very cold, fingertips. No blood, just pain. Wife gets home, and starts on the other door. All ready angry, and irritated with all the things that have gone wrong since I came home, the wife feels the need to ask questions. Normal questions, but with every thing else, it wasn't helping. (Note she did do two doors mostly by herself.) Back door is finaly finished (After 3.5 hours of work, and I still have to finish cheesing it up tonight.) time to start on the basement. Half hour later, I'm done. I get to go to bed (I.E. sleep on couch, bed is being delivered on Friday) around 1:15, I get up at 4:45. Fun Fun Fun......

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. The previous owners of this house (only 5 years old) aparently didn't know how to clean. ANYTHING. Two weekends ago I picked up 35-45 POUNDS of dog poop out of the back yard. Back to the present... When I got home from HD, come in the front door, and was hit in the face by a real nasty odor. One that I recognise from Boy Scouts... You know the one, the first morning of winter camp, when they fire up the oven. Yes that's right, MOUSE NEST. Now there are no mice in the house, so this was an old nest. There may have been body remnentes from the previous, mouse, "tennants". Too late, pizza is all ready in the oven. Wife says "I hope this doesn't effect the taste of the pizza." I think "Too late for that." While the wife is on the way to HD, I open a couple of windows, put a fan in one and about 45 minutes later..... No more burnt mouse smell.

Fortunately - Nothing missing, 4 wheeler untouched, guns and both bikes are still at the other house.

Enough rant, fighting sleep. The 40 minute drive home should fun. I think I'll be taking a Dew for the road.

Later,

Steve

Glad nothing was taken! Suprised that they came in with a dog being in the house. ahhhh the fond remembrance of burned mouse nest. Good luck with the sale of the old homestead!

The dog has to be in the kennel. He's too, aaaa what's the word.... Stupid to be out on his own, unsupervised. That and he is the biggest chicken I've ever seen.

Sorry to hear about that, but I'm so glad everything's intact and your family is a-okay...can't imagine coming home to that though...I live in the sticks; break-ins are rare, but they do happen. I think I'm just in denial and keep thinking "won't happen to me", but if it did, I'd friggin' lose it...
mad.gif

And, did you have my dog there by chance? Big Great Dane, would jump at his own shadow!
laugh.gif
Some watchdog!
tounge.gif

There are few things as "invading" as someone illegally entering your home. I pray to God that it never happens to me, but I see it at work almost every day.

I hope the person who broke into your home dies a slow, painful death... I HATE THIEVES!
mad.gif

I'm glad for you that nothing was missing. I do network security for a job, and I apply the same mentallity to security of my house. It isn't hard to break into any house. You just have to make it more difficult to get in un-noticed. Secure any highly valuable item in your house. If your wife has jewelry, put it in a safe, and bolt the safe to the floor. Bolt your gun safe to the floor, also. If you have a garage door opener, make sure it uses the "Code Hoping" technology. If it doesn't, replace it with one that does. It will be one of the best security investments you can buy. If you keep any vehicles outside that have a garage door remote in them, disable the remote feature on the opener before you go to bed, or before you leave for a trip (if you're going to be gone overnight or longer). It makes it to easy for someone to break a window and push a button to get full access to your house. If you have more than 1 outside entry to your house, lock the door from your garage to your house, that way they can only get to the stuff in the garage.

Godspeed!
beerchug.gif

I have my own view of thieves. "He who breaks into my house, will leave with the coroner if I catch them".

If you keep any vehicles outside that have a garage door remote in them, disable the remote feature on the opener before you go to bed, or before you leave for a trip (if you're going to be gone overnight or longer). It makes it to easy for someone to break a window and push a button to get full access to your house. If you have more than 1 outside entry to your house, lock the door from your garage to your house, that way they can only get to the stuff in the garage.
Another garage door opener tip... Remove the string with knob that allows you to manually unlock the door from the track and open it by hand. Thieves learned to bust out one of the middle windows and reach in, pull that cord, unlocking the door from the opener and then they raise the door by hand.
wink.gif

You still want the ability to open the door manually so make a hook from an old clothes hanger and put it somewhere in the garage out of site so you can use it to get the door open in the event of a power outage or door opener failure.
wink.gif

wink.gif

If you keep any vehicles outside that have a garage door remote in them, disable the remote feature on the opener before you go to bed, or before you leave for a trip (if you're going to be gone overnight or longer).  It makes it to easy for someone to break a window and push a button to get full access to your house.  If you have more than 1 outside entry to your house, lock the door from your garage to your house, that way they can only get to the stuff in the garage.
Another garage door opener tip... Remove the string with knob that allows you to manually unlock the door from the track and open it by hand. Thieves learned to bust out one of the middle windows and reach in, pull that cord, unlocking the door from the opener and then they raise the door by hand.
wink.gif

You still want the ability to open the door manually so make a hook from an old clothes hanger and put it somewhere in the garage out of site so you can use it to get the door open in the event of a power outage or door opener failure.
wink.gif
That is an outstanding Idea BT thanks I am going to make some next week.

wink.gif

If you keep any vehicles outside that have a garage door remote in them, disable the remote feature on the opener before you go to bed, or before you leave for a trip (if you're going to be gone overnight or longer). It makes it to easy for someone to break a window and push a button to get full access to your house. If you have more than 1 outside entry to your house, lock the door from your garage to your house, that way they can only get to the stuff in the garage.
wink.gif

wink.gif
That is an outstanding Idea BT thanks I am going to make some next week.
I read about it somewhere so I can't take credit for the idea, but I try to pass it on when I can. I had never thought about that when I read about it, but it makes perfect sense.
wink.gif

wink.gif

wink.gif

glad every thing was still in its place. When my house was on the market I had a few realtors leave doors open. It sucks to find doors open when you know that you closed them before you left.
mad.gif

Is it possible that it wasnt shut all the way and the vacuume affect blew the door open? I came home to a back room addition that had about 10 million leaves blown in it yet the door was shut. Come to find out a harsh wind blew the door open inserted the leaves and the suction blew the door closed. Kinda wierd but stranger things have happened.

JD

Thanks for all the tips.

No windows in the garage door, so no worries there. I should be getting my new gun safe in the next month or so. (I am not "allowed" to buy any more long guns with out it, and I realy want a new long range target rifle.)

Ice, the wife has "boogymanitus". He is everywhere and all ways trying to get into the house. The door was definitely closed. The only thing is that back door did not have a deadbolt. It does now!

I'll probably be replacing the garage door opener in the spring. If they want my tools bad enough to break into the garage, it gives me an excuse to by more. I've been thinking of just buying one of the 1100 piece Craftsman set, and putting the others in the "inside" toolbox.

Thanks,

Steve

Check your garage door opener to see if you can just change the frequency codes... Sometimes they have little switches inside and you can switch the freq... If you can just make sure you put them all in the same spot...
biggrin.gif

glad every thing was still in its place.  When my house was on the market I had a few realtors leave doors open.  It sucks to find doors open when you know that you closed them before you left.
mad.gif
I'm a Realtor and it pisses me off to no end when one of my sellers calls me to report an unlocked door. I lay into the last person logged to show that house. I have found doors wide open windows open... You name it I have seen it.

Back