I fought the law

DAB

Registered
LONDON (Reuters) - A truck driver prosecuted for obstructing police by alerting motorists to a speed trap won the backing of three law lords in a test case Monday when they ruled in his favor.

Trucker Charles Glendinning was convicted last year by magistrates in Somerset of willful obstruction after police said he waved a warning to other road-users about a speed trap on the A303 at Tinkers Hill, Stoke Trister.

Although the decision was overturned at Taunton Crown Court the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) took the case to the High Court, which in turn also backed Glendinning.

Now three law lords, headed by the former Lord Chief Justice, Lord Bingham, have again ruled in Glendinning's favor and have refused the DPP permission to appeal.

When the High Court considered the case in February, Mr Justice Owen said there was no evidence that any of the motorists warned by Glendinning had been breaking the speed limit or were about to do so.

Owen added that some people might think the police ought to appreciate the efforts of others to prevent speeding.

One more for the good guys
beerchug.gif

Yea ... I know that I get upset if an on-coming biker doesn't warn me about a speed trap behind them. Tap that helmet and let a fellow biker know to watch out ... even if we aren't speeding.

It's amazing the British police even set up a speed trap. The whole three years I was stationed there, I never once went through a speed trap... went through about 1000 speed cameras though
mad.gif
was snapped at least three times that I know of, but never heard from it.
cool.gif

I always signal with lights flashing that there is a speed trap or LEO ahead. If they stop me, I'll just say, "FLASHING LIGHTS OFFICER
rock.gif
" , "O" I'am sorry I must be hitting my light passing switch (and show him) by mistake
laugh.gif

So what can he do that I can't get thrown out of court
rock.gif

rock.gif

I wouldnt have waisted my time stopping the driver that was doing the flashing. Aside from that ticket him for it. As far as I see it, he's helping me do my job by making me more visible to the public. I would go sit in the highest crash area and let him slow my traffic down for me. No crashes while Im sitting there is even better.

If I would have been the officer who stopped him I would not have cited him for that. If he turned out to be a dik I would just do a complete vehicle motor safety inspection very politly smile and finish out the stop with a warning ticket that took 2 hours to complete.
smile.gif
just kidding.

Great job by the magistrates. Thats not a crime.

JD

Great, I get to post right after the topdawg himself....thanks Iceman.

I was on the bike last week, only nice day in 3 weeks, and although I was (as always) under the speed limit, I got my first flag down by a guy on a REAL BIG all black Kawi- I think the forst 1400 I have seen on the road. I didnt know for sure, but its true- SOMEONE BOUGHT ONE!

Back