I did a bad bad thing - Exhaust baffle help!

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, let's get this out of the way. I bought those "overpriced" Devil's Tails shorty exhaust "tips" with a baffle. I really thought they were sharp and I just couldn't find anything that looked quite as unique. So let's just say I spent $400 on chrome and leave it at that. I've beat myself up enough already based on what I'm about to ask.

They are TOO loud. The baffles inside are pretty crappy. A few pieces of steel welded together. So bottom line, where do I look for replacement baffles for this type of thing? I do not know exhaust AT ALL. So anyone that cares to give me a bit of guidance will be appreciated.

When I bought them, I asked for a video. None available. He said they had a growl at idle. I think he meant roar. :poke:

I can totally feel where you're coming from. Best advice I can give you is to sell them to someone who's looking for that and by yourself a REAL exhaust system. Before you burn more money trying to quiet it down (which you can't, that's what they're made for), dump them now and cut your losses. I used to want the loud pipes and I enjoyed it for a short time but now that I've grown up a little, I'll never by another set again. Sorry for the pessimistic (sp?) outlook.

+1 what showtime said you can not mod or alter the pipes as they are made specific for what they are so yeh resell and look again.:thumbsup:

Are the baffles wrapped with anything ? If not you might be able to silence them a little with a wrap.

Are the baffles wrapped with anything ? If not you might be able to silence them a little with a wrap.

No wrap of any kind, just a metal baffle that looks really ineffetive.

Thanks guys, lesson learned the hard way. Some of you told me not to do it, and I didn't listen. :banghead:

I have shorties and they are really loud but I love the sound. When I ride, I wear ear plugs and the problem goes away. Despite what people say, you are still ware of your surroundings with ear plugs in. I just wear the cheap orange ones, the ones I wear when I go shooting at the gun range.

Exactly why I've never got a Brocks Short Meg or Alien Head. I absolutly LOVE how they look.:wow:
But they're just too dang loud.:(

I went ahead and tightened them down and I'll take her for a spin this weekend and see how I feel about it.

If I don't want 'em, anyone want to buy a set cheap? Brand new, only used once! :laugh:

Chances are you are not going to find a good baffle for basically a 2" pipe.

Look on the positive side: You will honestly be able to say " No Officer I didn't hear your siren"

Sux you dumped $400 only to find out you don't like the sound. If by end of weekend you don't like them,put them up on Ebay. No point in riding something you suppose to enjoy and not enjoying it. Cause each time you start it your first reaction is going to be negative.

Good Luck!

ACTUALLY....When I had my Kd80M dirtbike and was 14... I made a custom baffle for it.

Take the metal baffle.. And get some fiberglass packing. Wrap it around it... and voila. Might hurt performance a little, but I doubt you will notice it at all.

I think the shorties like that sound and look pretty terrible. I've had loud bikes and I'm done with that. It gets annoying. I'm very pleased with my full r77 yosh. Good sound without the insane amount of noise.

I think the shorties like that sound and look pretty terrible. I've had loud bikes and I'm done with that. It gets annoying. I'm very pleased with my full r77 yosh. Good sound without the insane amount of noise.

I think the Yosh sounds like shid and is a waste of money

I am pleased to announce, that after suggestions posted here, I have done the marble mod (bolt mod for me) and I now love the pipes! It turns out that my dislike was not the loudness, but the crack and pop associated with deceleration. It's amazing what a difference tiny bolt made!

Went from riced out Honda Accord to Lean Mean Orange machine! :laugh:

Thanks to everyone, and especially thanks to whomever suggested the marble mod, I can't find his post, but hopefully you know who you are. :beerchug:

I am pleased to announce, that after suggestions posted here, I have done the marble mod (bolt mod for me) and I now love the pipes! It turns out that my dislike was not the loudness, but the crack and pop associated with deceleration. It's amazing what a difference tiny bolt made!

Went from riced out Honda Accord to Lean Mean Orange machine! :laugh:

Thanks to everyone, and especially thanks to whomever suggested the marble mod, I can't find his post, but hopefully you know who you are. :beerchug:

Awesome!
I was worried if you were going to be premature in getting rid of the pipes at a loss after the unecessary money you spent already. I bought some very inexpensive (won't tell you the price and make you cry) from 'Vigorblue" here in our forum and although he used them without baffles, I prefered the baffles and thanks to Vigor's help, found baffles online really inexpensive for mine and only get compliments! With the baffles, they are loud when you gun the bike up 8k rpm or more but on regular semi aggresive riding, they are just right and lots of sportbike people who were warning me before I got them now changed their minds about straight little shorties! Of course you need to do the marble mod and glad our forum buddies told you! Isn't this site and the people here the best? :thumbsup: I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying them now!

CC Insertsâ„¢ - Exhaust Sound Suppression Inserts
or you can use the baffle they gave you and wrap it in fiberglass and use masking tape or teflon tape to secure it. I have an baffle for my muzzy exhaust wrapped up in fiberglass and when I put it in there is only a small diameter hole in which the exhaust leaves the pipes and it makes the bike pretty silent, but when it is out Holy Hell Batman my whole neighbor hood can hear it warm up.

Back