Did a bad thing

busa-rich

Donating Member
Registered
the other day on the way to meet somebody, i ran into a bumper to bumper backup. must have been about 5miles long.
and i always said to myself i would never split lanes(you know go up the middle).so as i was sitting there baking in the sun iin full leathers,i looked down at the clock and i was running late.

then i looked up and saw this valley of trucks and cars all just sitting there not moving. so i decided to go for it(to split the lane). it was a strange feeling to do it, but fun at the same time. i was just waiting for some cager to do something dumb. but eveything was cool and i made it on time. not something i would do all the time...does anybody split lanes or go down service lanes when in traffic?

Ive done it while I was out in Cali. Its a little scary at first but the cagers move out the way.

I did it once in DC but not by choice I was forced in to it by another car. I would love to split lanes but I just can't get my self to do it because I trust no one in a car, and it's illegal here.

I have seen people do it. Some safely and some wrecklessly. If traffic is slow enough and you are on alert...should be ok. I drive alot in my cage for work up and down I-35 in Texas. I seen some one on a gold wing splitting lanes going around 90-95. I was going with the flow of speeders going 80-85 and he passed us...not too smart.

I do it all the time. one of the few things nice about California. it is not only accepted, it is normally expected. and most cagers will move out of the way.

you should check out this thread I started a couple months back...it got a bit heated in the thread..lol it is all about lane splitting

People in and around the city get pretty angry when it is done here... I only do it under extreme circumstances... Plus I think it is illegal in PA.
sad.gif

I personally would have no problem with doing it,but as doing it, somehow up ahead is always a LEO and they will ticket you.
Yesterday,on my way home,I was on the 2 lane highway in the fast lane,and the car in front was just staying sid by side with a 18 wheeler...(like who does this??) so finally I decided to just go in between....The trucker and cager musta thought I wuz mental!!!

Would passing one car on the shoulder be safer than splitting between two cars?

over,if you are asking me....
How did Austin Powers put it??
"I like to live dangerously!"

Splitting lanes is great fun. Loved doing it when I lived in Los Angeles. Drivers out there know it's legal and will usually give you room. Here in Alabama I have had the urge to do it so many times but didn't. But I did pass a car using the center turn lane once because that moron was going the speed limit.... oops!

People in and around the city get pretty angry when it is done here...  I only do it under extreme circumstances...  Plus I think it is illegal in PA.
sad.gif
You should check to see if it's legal or not. If it is... do it! I know it's illegal in AL because it was stated in the booklet they give you for the cycle license exam.

ive done both, but only in emergencies...cagers here are fugn morons, and some will try to squish ya just out of jealousy....better idea to just leave early
tounge.gif

Back