I crashed on the dragon

jch364

Registered
You might find this interesting. went to the dragon on june 16 for a few days of some good hard riding. Well here is the story. I had been on the dragon all day about 6 hours worth. going back and forth. this turn was no different except that i was not in as much of a hurry cause i was getting tired. A couple of riders had come up behind me. I figured I would move over and wave them on. So I made the motion to wave them on. For whatever reason, still not clear to me, I didnt see the truck that suddenly appeared coming around the corner towards us. Now at this moment I sorta panicked cause I figured that I just waved these two guys into the path of a truck. In my panicked state I literally turned sideways on the bike turning to look behind me and frantically waved my arm to stop them from passing me. When i turned back around I realized that I was headed for the ditch and because of my speed and entry angle into the curve, I was screwed. So I hit the brakes and tried to stop or at least slow down. The last thing I remember is going into the ditch and waking up looking into the sky thinking that this was not good....Anyway they guys stopped of course and made sure i was alright. They helped me with getting my helmet off and stayed with me until I came back around enough and felt good enough to get up. They helped me with my bike and then they followed me in to make sure i made it ok. apparently the bike took a nose dive in the gravel. I flew off it like superman..... landing needed some work i think...lol. the rear end of the bike flipped up in the air and then was nice enough to allow me to brake its fall by landing on me. right on my lower left leg. Still havent figured that one out.

In the end I got some severe bruising on my left leg and left hip. and some bruised up ribs. doc said that nothing was broken but i lost about 2 units of blood in the bruising.
I think that might be allot. I was in full gear. helmet,leather jacket pants and sidi boots. without a doubt the gear saved me a great deal of pain. Even though it still hurts and my leg has a bad knot on it I know that those sidi boots saved me from getting a broken leg. The rest of the gear saved me from some skin graphs. especially the helmet cause i drilled it head first....lol
anyway got an estimate on repairs on the bike and its about $2600. not bad really. just cosmetic really....

I tried to reason this accident out and tried to figure out what I could have done to have prevented it from happening. My conclusion was to not get in the situation to begin with. That to me was the only real solution. My reaction to what I thought I had done was a natural one and I reacted as such. I think next time i will just let someone go ahead of me when they want to and just move over to the right part of the lane and leave it at that.

The fact is that I caused this accident. I did it to myself. not by the way I was riding but because I set in motion a series of events that once put in motion had to come to its natural conclusion. so for me the only resolution to this problem is to not get into it in the first place..

On a side note. I was really impressed by the help and concern I got from other riders and the guys that were behind me. someone in a car stopped as well. People really wanted to help. I see that sort of thing on the dragon all the time but I never really appreciated it until now.

I shared this cause I know allot of the people here go to the dragon. And for those who might read this. My lesson learned here was to pay attention to my own riding. and for the love of god. WEAR YOUR GEAR.!!!!!!!!!!
bowdown.gif

Glad you are here to laugh about. Hope you
heal quick and get your scoot on road quicker.
Falling Sucks but heres to getting up
beerchug.gif

<span style='color:blue'>Wow...Glad you are okay! So the edge creeped up on you as you tried to wave the other riders on..I'm sure I've done the some thing before but (luckily) without the same ending. Thank you for the warning and, again, glad that you are okay!

-Nick</span>

Glad your only bruised up. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse.

Wow, sorry to hear you went down, but I do think you were just trying to spare a fellow rider the fate of meeting an oncoming truck head on. You saw a dangerous situation and tried to avoid having them get hurt; very admirable if you ask me...I hate that you went down because of it, but you're here and posting, so that's better than many alternatives.

Hope you're healing up well and the bruising is going away...hope the bike gets fixed very soon too!! If you need anything, you know we're all here
smile.gif

glad to hear your ok.  Good on those guys for helping out.

what kind of damage is the bike in?

GLAD YOU ARE NOT SERIOUSLY HURT! Wow. Been here! The bruising is going to suck - and look for damage to the Psyatic (sp?) nerve... swelling will take a long time to go away - good on you for wearing gear!

Now - what do you need for the scoot? I have given most of my stuff away - but I have a couple of things left...

glad to hear you are alright. your actions may have gotten you hurt but they may have saved a life at the same time. heal quickly

I don't think it's a stretch that we've all had close calls to going down...I had one last week when my rear tire came out from under me through a sharp sweeper before catching again (potential highside) as I hit some small gravel/rubbel sitting in the road. Knew I was going to hit it so I quickly got my ass off the seat and put my weight on the pegs...the bike jerked but I was able to let it shake out and get control of it...my old dirt riding habits saved my ass.

There's one curve up there that nearly collected me twice. I need to spray the entry with a pink dot or something from both directions.

glad to see that u are up and posting. wish ya a speedy recovery!!!

Glad you were not hurt bad. Anything you need for the busa that we might have ?

(dadofthree @ Jun. 28 2007,08:45) There's one curve up there that nearly collected me twice. I need to spray the entry with a pink dot or something from both directions.
There's a right-hander about midway heading towards NC that dips in, no matter how late I come in I end up coming real close to the inside edge. Very weird feeling. It was the 1st thing I thought of when I saw this. I'm glad he's ok.

Glad you made it through in one piece. I love the Dragon too but we all need to know when to stop when we are mentally and physically tired. That is the problem I have when I skate the ramps. When I fall down on the easy tricks it's time to quit. However we as sports riders don't have that kind of luxury on our bikes and bodies. I hope you and your bike mend soon.

Back