I could use a few pointers here please...

Max Speed

Registered
Ok guys I bought the MRE heavy duty starter gear and the case protector. The directions state I have to grind the engine case .100' where the starter gear goes and then grind the starter mounting holes .125' so the starter can move out toward the cluch cover. Im here reading this and I know I can do it but it sure would be nice to talk to someone that has done this before for some pointers. If anyone has done this could you drop me an E mail it sure would be nice. After I do this I would be happy to guide other people in the future. I think some pictures of this job will be in order when I do this to help others.

Wow I put a post up and all I can hear is crickets!!!! Nothing posted.... Is it my breath or what? Could it be I'm the first to do this in here? Naaaaaaaaa with all the guys that have their 5hit together from this place I can't be the first....

Wish I had installed the starter gear and case protector, but I haven't. You may be taking the board to a new level! Sorry I couldn't be of any help.

I installed both the same starter gear and case protecter, I wish I would have took pics for you but i didn't, so all i can do is tell you what I did... first take the covers and gears out, pictures in service manual, put the case protector on first drive it on far enough that the gear doesn't rub on face of case protector then i recommend plugging the spaces to the case with rags or paper towl, somthing like that because when you start removing material for the new starter gear, the little grinding particals get all over the place. I used a little dremel tool with a round grinding stone and used the flat side of it. you can see the area you need to grind by putting the new starter gear in place and you will see it run into or touch the "boss" that holds the little gears between starter gear and starter clutch. you can check if you have taken enough material off by puting every thing in place and see if the starter gear cover(the smaller cover) fitts into place flush with gasket surface, if you haven't ground enough off, the gear will be touching the cover and cover will not fit flush.
As far as modifying the starter holes, I put everthing together including the starter, then checked that starter was ingauging with new starter gear(by removing starter gear cover and leaving gear in place,"AGAIN") and I found that I didn't even have to modify these holes, there was plenty of contact with these gears(more than stock) and its been working great for a year now.
I don't know if this will help,,but you may understand what Im tring to tell you here when you get it apart.

Hi Guys,

I read this post with a lot of interest. I have a small engineering workshop in the UK and a friend of my runs a heavily modified 'busa. His name is Dodge and he holds the world wheelie speed record which he did on the 'busa. It's got 200bhp and is lighter than a CBR 600. He has had a lot of trouble with the starter gears. We fitted the aftermarket gear that's wider than the original and ground the casing back to clear it. We also elongated the mounting holes in the back of the starter so it went a bit further in to the casing. Unfortunately Dodge fell off the bike after allmost looping it at over 140mph, this resulted in the engine needing a strip down.

When apart we found that there was a couple of teeth missing from the end of the starter gear. It's only done 1500 miles since the mod so we have decided to take it a stage further.

The later bikes have a different starter with a longer gear on the end and different intermediate gears and different cases. We think we can come up with a kit that incorporates the later and better starter, a new intermediate gear and a neat spacer to go behind the small cover. This way there is no need to grind anything, it all just fits straight on.

What do you guys think? Do you think it is worth me producing this kit and marketing it. Are there a lot of people having this starter problem. This is the first that i have heard of it but my friend says it is very common, especially on bikes that have tuned motors. Is there enough room in the fairing to space the small casing out approximately 14mm.

I have the casing in my workshop at the moment so I could take a photo of the bit that needs grinding away and try to post it on hear if it is any help to you.

Cheers,

Steve.

Stevieboy I would not invest in this fix, because suzuki has had a service notice out on this since dec 12 2002, and will typically fix it for free, even if the bike is out of warranty. Therefore if it goes out most people would probably get it fixed free rather than pay for the new fix. Just my $.02

Cheers Dezzy,

I understand what you're saying and you're right, people would rather get it fixed for free by suzuki than pay for a kit from an unknown company and fit it themselves. Thing is though, will suzuki fix the problem if the bike has been modified, ie had some engine tuning done. Or do you think they will try to say the starter has gone because of the mods to the motor.

Any thoughts on this will be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Steve.

0.100'
rock.gif
damn!!!!!!

1.2 inches is a ton d00d
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Thanks for all the responses on this.... Your right I could wait for it to break then take it in and ask for the fix for free. But why wait for it to go down when I want to ride. With my luck it would come apart in front of a ton of people and it would make me look like an a$$. And think about it, why would you want to go through pulling your motor all down to weld the case or to get a new one? I was told it does not break the cover over the starter it can break your engine case... I would rather keep my motor running great and spend a little money. I guess it comes down to the old saying to each there own....
thanks for your post curtis T and badassbusa

I have not had a problem with mine and I put the protector in yesterday. When I took it all apart the gears where fine. I have the battery tender unit and when it is time to get a new battery I am going from the stock 175cca to a 235cca battery. There should not be a problem with it and if there is I will take it to suzuki and get it taken care of.

Well I put it all in and I;m glad I did!!! There is only 3mm if engagement between the starter and the stock gear!!!!!! Now thats done I have 9mm and I also put in the case protector ring. Ok so it cost me total about $280. big deal. Its worth it to know the engine is safe. I'm going to post some pictures of what I had to do so its easy for people to do. The instructions that come with the parts suck!!! I have not had a day off from work for two weeks and been putting in a ton of 12 hour days. When things slow down I will make the posts. Any of you need info before I make the post drop me a note and I will answer your questions.... After all your fellow Busa riders here!
cool.gif

Back