I can't be the first person to do this...

You must drink more than me...I only put 1 quart in mine before I found out the drain plug was out.:thumbsup:

Don't feel bad brotha.... Here at the shop we had a guy dump 8 Gal of 15/40 thru the eng. into a drain pan and was on his way to get another can when we stopped him:laugh:

And after we told him this same guy.... Hold On !!

Im not trying to jack this thread but we have alot of mechanically inclined guys here and some not so much....so....What do you think the oil capacity of a Caterpillar C-9, 450 Hp motor is ??

Educated guesses welcome....

And ther is a point to this !!

I'm guessing less than 8 gallons lol

No, he was actually almost exactly right but he did the same thing left the plug out and it was going straight thru the eng. into the drain pan.

It holds 34 qts... 8 gal + 2 qts, but as i was saying, after we told him "to make sure you put the plug back in this time and top it off so we can get the truck out for a road test" .... Thats exactly what he did... Topped it off!!! I think he ended putting somewhere around 96 qts in it.....:banghead:

Come on man.... Are you serious,

To give you a idea..... The oil was filled up to about a inch away from the end of the fill tube...

The end of the fill tube sits about 8 inches above the valve cover.... So whats that tell ya:banghead:

And this guy gets paid 6 figures a year to be a mechanic....:banghead:

So you have no reason to feel bad or be embsrassed

I got a buddy with a 14, it has a flat pan. He loosened the drain plug, when nothing came out he added a gallon cuz he thought it had all leaked out. As he did a burnout at the track and started leaning the bike over she started smoking bad! I shut him off and asked why the sight glass was covered up. He told me what he had done and showed me the drain plug. It wasn't the drain plug.... I laughed my ass off. It took us a while to clean the oil outta the airbox area and top of the motor though!

I did once forget to put an oil filter on my mom's old Jeep Wagoneer. Made a hell of a mess when I started it!

Back