Hub/Sprocket Wobble

spdjunkey

Registered
After replacing the cush drive bushings on my 99, the hub and sprocket have a visible wobble when viewed from the rear and turning the wheel while up on the rear stand. Everything is tight and aligned. The wheel and rotor both track straight and look normal. The wobble is isolated to the hub. I've tried it with and without the chain on the sprocket. Same results. Thinking it could be a bearing but they all spin smooth without feeling loose. The only other thing, is the hub spacer. It seems like it may not fit as tight as it should. At this point, I have no idea. So, any help is appreciated.

After replacing the cush drive bushings on my 99, the hub and sprocket have a visible wobble when viewed from the rear and turning the wheel while up on the rear stand. Everything is tight and aligned. The wheel and rotor both track straight and look normal. The wobble is isolated to the hub. I've tried it with and without the chain on the sprocket. Same results. Thinking it could be a bearing but they all spin smooth without feeling loose. The only other thing, is the hub spacer. It seems like it may not fit as tight as it should. At this point, I have no idea. So, any help is appreciated.

Can you post a video or pics?

Did you install them properly? They can be installed 180 out. The nipple on the cush goes towards the wheel. Also applying a little grease to em allow them to fully seat. Keyword here is little.

I'll try to get a video. Have to put everything back together first. And yes, I put them in with the nipple towards the wheel. I put grease on them as well. I even put a little grease to get the hub to slide in easier. I've taken this thing apart and put back together probably 20 times, thinking I may have missed something or put something in wrong. I've searched through hundreds of threads here and still can't come up with anything.

Are you just seeing this while bike is on stand after reinstalling the wheel? If so drop it(not literally) off stand and just give it a quick ride down driveway or street and and put it back on stand.Just putting it under some load via chain/hub/wheel will probably straighten/align it back up. Cause you just installed new rubbers right? And hub/wheel are basically just connected by those rubbers, so if the cush didn't seat fully 100% into the hub even a 1/64" difference side to side it will show a wobble just spinning wheel. So just putting a little load on them should let the cush seat into the new rubbers and align itself up.

Remember there is only 1 bearing inside that big cush so even with the axle going thru and remember it's not pressed to axle so there is some play there also(not much but enough) which could allow cush a little variance from where metal to rubber to metal meet. If it wasn't there before and bearings feels good, I'd say give it a shot and something sounding bad may right itself.

You can grab ahold of most cush drives and get some play in them, 2 pieces of metal cushioned by chunks of rubber that's what there meant to do.

Of course I may be wrong also, and if I am just ignore this post and carry on. :laugh:

Finally got a video.

[video=youtube_share;TClgM1oL9TA]http://youtu.be/TClgM1oL9TA[/video]

BTW, I've stood on it, to the point where it won't go anymore. I've also taken it for a short ride. No change.

Are there perhaps any washers/spacers behind any of the bolts that hold on the sprocket?

looking at the vids it looks like the whole wheel is moving a touch at the same time....how neat a fit is the spindle on the main bearings and is there any signs of wear on the spacer that sits between the inner and outer bearings on the sprocket side.....had a similar thing with my gen 1 and replacing all the bearings and spindle sorted it...one bearing had slightly worn the spindle allowing everything to move.
recommend you get a set of verniers and measure everything and make sure the bearings have no play in them....even a tiny bit of play in them is exaggerated massively.

looking at the vids it looks like the whole wheel is moving a touch at the same time....how neat a fit is the spindle on the main bearings and is there any signs of wear on the spacer that sits between the inner and outer bearings on the sprocket side.....had a similar thing with my gen 1 and replacing all the bearings and spindle sorted it...one bearing had slightly worn the spindle allowing everything to move.
recommend you get a set of verniers and measure everything and make sure the bearings have no play in them....even a tiny bit of play in them is exaggerated massively.

The spacer does look like it has some slight wear on it. I think I'll just go ahead and replace all 3 bearings and the spacer. Any suggestions on where and what brand to buy?

I bought All Balls off of Ebay before, and had Good luck with them.

Also, I have used Stock Suzuki, purchased from Justin at Toledo East

The spacer does look like it has some slight wear on it. I think I'll just go ahead and replace all 3 bearings and the spacer. Any suggestions on where and what brand to buy?

Have you checked the orentation of the nipples on the cushes? Wheel appears to running straight.

Back