rear hub/sprocket issue?

G

goesnines27

took the rear off today to put some extensions on and before I removed the wheel I was checking out the sprocket just to see if it was worn, the wheel is perfectly tight and no wobble or bearing play, ...but when I grabbed the sprocket with both hands it rocks back and forth on the hub, now I have done lots of work on my customs(choppers that I built) but none of them have had a rubber cushioned hub, I never took one apart like that so is it supposed to be like that or is it bad , any help would be great thanks

Is the sproket moving on the cush drive, or is the sprocket and cush drive combo moving back and forth in the rubbers?

sprocket is tight to the hub or cush drive, but with the wheel sitting on the ground flat rototr side down, you set the cush drive on the wheel in the rubbers and you can teeter it by pushing down on either side, if it is sitting on the wheel the only part touching is in the center where the bearin is , there is a gap between the wheel aand the cush drive on the edges as if it should push in more to be flush, I could be rambling bout nothin but just curious after last time out had it flat out in 5th testing some new parts , hate for somthin to be loose

just looked at it again, if you lift the hub/sprocket off the wheel , there is a spacer aabout 2-1/2" long that goes between the wheel and hub, if you take that out the hub fits nice and flush to the wheel, put that back in and its like the hub needs to go on farther, bike goes straight no issues at all, drives like new, but this worries me, i'll try to get a pic on here tomorrow maybe someone will have a better idea what im saying, easier to understand that way

That spacer is supposed to be there.
Mine fits tight.
Try and put the spacer into the wheel bearing first and then slide the cush drive on.
Rock it back and forth until the spacer goes in.
If it is tight, I lay the wheel down and put my weight on the cush and gently rock it back and forth until it is in.

Good luck!

When the wheel is tightened the spacer is held in position.The rubber's are probb. loose and that's why you can move it so easy.Get new cush rubber's and you will be fine.When the wheel is on the bike grab it on the top and bottom to try to move it back forth to check the wheel bearing's for play.

thanks ,I ordered them from schnitz this morning because yesterday I was looking at them and they are all gooved up and I was looking at the whole setup and if all the bearings and spacers are seated properly thats all it could be so hopefully all my stuff i ordered is here by the weekend and I'll get some testing done and then make it out to the track soon to see what I can pull this year after the changes

Back