how tough is powdercoating?

hemi

Registered
after riding about 200 miles this weekend with my new powdercoated pegsets, i noticed the sides of the rider pegsets are a bit scuffed/small scratches where my heels are hitting while riding. The pegs don't have a mark on them though. Can't understand why the pegs, where the soles of my boots rest, are perfect but my heels scuffed the powdercoating up a bit on the sides. Maybe they weren't 100% cured yet after the install? Not a big deal, just wanted to ask the pros how tough this stuff is for wear characteristics

probably not cured man or something wasn't done right when they were coated, that powder coating should be tough as nails.....i had my wheels powder coated on my old bronco and they went through heck and back and lasted...sorry to hear man

it's not bad at all, hardly noticeable. Just a few slight scratches. Just got me thinkin if it will wear through after a while. My guess is it wasn't fully cured, as soon as i got them i slapped them back on and went for a ride, so maybe that's when it happened

It was fully cured or Travis would not have taken it out of the oven or sent them back to you . Same thing happens on mine . Souls of your boots are rubber and heel upper is plastic . Scuffs are normal but no it won't wear thru as it's most likely at least 3mm thick .

For 2 years I used to powder coat about 100,000 pounds of steel a day. The metal has to be completely free of any oils. In order to do this our powder coat line took all of the metal through a huge heated soap washer, next it went through a rinse booth, then through a 300 degree hot air knife to dry it off.

The next step was a powder booth. The powder is positively charged while all of the steel is negatively charged from the paint line track it hangs on.

After it gets powdered down it goes through a 450 degree oven to bake the powder on the metal. The powder is 2 mils thick when done properly.

Two things stop the powder from adhering to the metal being coated:

1. The ground was not good due to the hooks which the material to be coated hangs on were not burned to get the old coating off. This will stop the powder from being attracted to the metal.

2. The metal to be coated was not cleaned properly.

Powder coating when done right is practicaly bullet proof. The stuff shouldn't scratch, chip, fade, flake ,or anything else. If it's not done right then anything is possible.

Is powder coating the same thing as anodizing?

no...

anodizing creates an oxide layer on the metal... which basically becomes part of the metal...

powder coating places a powder on the metal, which is the heated and baked on to the metal... closer to an M&M candy shell...

Back