How to ride 2 up

I saw something I don't like: 4. Ask passenger to lean with you?, and someone saying you'll crash if they don't? Absolutely NOT. Tell the passenger to simply look over your shoulder through the turns. YOU are the one steering the bike, not your cargo. In fact, you should tell them to remain as motionless as possible. If they simply look over your shoulder, they will naturally follow the lean that YOU control and initiate. Having the passenger add lean is akin to the guy in the seat next to you reaching over and turning the steering wheel while you drive your car. This is one of those poorly thought out myths such as "don't use the front brake cause you'll flip over the bars." Passengers do not steer the bike, you do. Here's a complete list of passenger tips from the MSF:

-Adjust the suspension and tire pressure
-Be sure passenger is properly attired
-Keep both feet on the ground and the brakes applied while they mount. Have the engine running and in neutral.
-Avoid abrupt accelration, deceleration and steep lean angles.

Have the passenger follow these rules:
-Hold the rider's waist or hips, or grab rails
-Keep their feet on the passenger pegs at all times, including stops.
-Keep hands and feet away from hot and moving parts.
-Look over the rider's shoulder in the direction of turns
-Aviod leaning or turning around, and make no sudden moves
-If you see the rider stand up prior to crossing an obstacle, rise up slightly off the seat.

My wife prefers to hold onto my belt (sturdy belt and slightly loosened). I'd like to see/hear about good backrests, though.

I prefer passengers to mount the bike by stepping on the peg with left foot and then swinging right foot up and over. Reverse for dismount. Once learned, it makes it easier for them and less likelihood of burns.

Signals:
Two taps with her knees means she's ready to go (i.e. giddyap)
Hand tap on right shoulder, turn right.

I am really surprised no one mentioned the most important thing about having a passenger ride with you.............. Make sure she takes off all her rings so she doesn't scratch the crap out of your tank!!!!!!

All are GREAT!! Add make sure your manhoood is adjusted because of the push forward it could be a long right if your uncomfortable!!!!

I saw something I don't like: 4. Ask passenger to lean with you?, and someone saying you'll crash if they don't? Absolutely NOT.

Only reason I say that is because I've had plenty of girls on the back and several of them did not "look over my shoulder" in turns which threw the bike out of balance which kept me from making the turn like I needed to, luckily I always start off somewhere there is close to no traffic and wide roads so the passenger can make a mistake and it be ok.

The girls' reasonings were all "It feels like we're gonna fall when turning". So that's where I came up with the crash thing. I agree with all the other points you made though JD.

I saw something I don't like: 4. Ask passenger to lean with you?, and someone saying you'll crash if they don't? Absolutely NOT. Tell the passenger to simply look over your shoulder through the turns. YOU are the one steering the bike, not your cargo. In fact, you should tell them to remain as motionless as possible. If they simply look over your shoulder, they will naturally follow the lean that YOU control and initiate. Having the passenger add lean is akin to the guy in the seat next to you reaching over and turning the steering wheel while you drive your car. This is one of those poorly thought out myths such as "don't use the front brake cause you'll flip over the bars." Passengers do not steer the bike, you do. Here's a complete list of passenger tips from the MSF:

-Adjust the suspension and tire pressure
-Be sure passenger is properly attired
-Keep both feet on the ground and the brakes applied while they mount. Have the engine running and in neutral.
-Avoid abrupt accelration, deceleration and steep lean angles.

Have the passenger follow these rules:
-Hold the rider's waist or hips, or grab rails
-Keep their feet on the passenger pegs at all times, including stops.
-Keep hands and feet away from hot and moving parts.
-Look over the rider's shoulder in the direction of turns
-Aviod leaning or turning around, and make no sudden moves
-If you see the rider stand up prior to crossing an obstacle, rise up slightly off the seat.

Agreed, like I stated before I have never had lean issues and I have had many 1st time riders. Most of them I out weigh and maybe pulling their weight was easy I don't know the feeling when someone leans against me so I really can't say how it feels or what will happen

I am really surprised no one mentioned the most important thing about having a passenger ride with you.............. Make sure she takes off all her rings so she doesn't scratch the crap out of your tank!!!!!!

Your passenger should be wearing gloves.....then there would be no need to worry about getting your tank scratched.:poke:

Agreed, like I stated before I have never had lean issues and I have had many 1st time riders. Most of them I out weigh and maybe pulling their weight was easy I don't know the feeling when someone leans against me so I really can't say how it feels or what will happen

I had my girl friend riding with me and i took it easy on her the whole ride. (was about 10 min. ride) Going around a slight curve a leaned over a little further and she freaked and leaned opposite direction. It's like someone reaching over and grabbing the steering wheel in a car. Bike became straighter and didnt turn. So like said before, test them on a safe turn going slow and in control if anything does happen.

Your passenger should be wearing gloves.....then there would be no need to worry about getting your tank scratched.:poke:

touche!:moon:

If you don't have a comm system for you and the passenger set up a few simple hand signals that the 2 of you can understand. Tell her to pay attention to the road and braking. You don't want her weight to come sliding forward and beatin "the boys" up!!

Have them try to be as relaxed as possible and not all tight and stiffened up. The more relaxed they are the easier it will be on you also.

what this man say's is the truth, 2 up is fun, just dont show off with her on it.......

Thank you all for the excellent advice, and the links. Makes me feel more confident to do the ride!
:thumbsup:

Watch where you stop & put your feet down, extra weight sux when you put your foot in gravel. I always insist the rider hang onto me so I can feel that they are holding on properly, don't want to lose one. (chicks always want a ride on the Busa) :laugh: A good passenger is a non issue when they lean smooth with you. Dump any chick that don't because it really upsets your gig.

I ride 2 up more often than not...

My BIGGEST rule is the passenger must ALWAYS be paying attention as if they were the rider themselves...

If I need to make a quick maneuver or something for safety, they better be prepared for it. Just because they aren't in control doesn't mean they can just sit back and chill...

:beerchug:

I found that if the passenger keeps their legs close to your body it naturaly helps in the corners. Also girls with Horse back ridding experince translates well to a motorcycle.

Back