How To Keep Your Busa From "OverHeating"

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
I'm an old hand at bikes but a bit of a newbie in BusaLand here as I just got mine last week so forgive me if this has already been covered or is in the wrong forum but just something I wanted to offer/share here.

It has come to my attention through one of my many learned cohorts that the Busa's IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor is somewhat poorly located as stock whereby in it's stock location is inserted in the underside of the airboxes left side and is located but an inch or so directly above the rear portion of the engines valve cover....

The Claim???....when caught in high heat summertime traffic jams the fairing keeps the heat entrapped on the now not moving bike and the IAT Sensors metal base (which is located in a very hot spot near the engines valve cover) begins to get saturated with heat rising from the valve cover and the IAT Sensor begins giving the ECU "Irroneousely High Temperature Reports"...and in turn???...the ECU begins compensating the fuel map to accomodate the irroneous high temps...."LEANER"...which causes the engine to run even HOTTER yet...in a viscouse circle until....your temp gauge says..."Pull Over".

The IAT Sensor Relocation Mod "Jinksters Way"

1st???...Identifying The IAT Sensor Location...(aka..."The Culprit")

IAT1.jpg

IAT2.jpg

To remove the IAT Sensor simply depress the locking tab to unplug the connector and spin it out with a 19mm open end wrench.

Next???...I found that with a considerable amount of insertion pressure that a 27/64ths auto panel fastener fits and plugs the 12mm x 1.50 threaded hole in the airbox just dandy (good luck finding a 12mm x 1.50 bolt) and a 7/16ths ID Rubber Grommet is just the ticket to hold the the IAT Sensor in it's new found home....read on....

IAT3.jpg

Next???...install a 9/16ths hole for your 7/16ths ID rubber grommet in the top of the left ram air duct just behind your left directional...this location gets the IAT Sensor away from the direct engine heat and out in front of the engines radiator in a much more reasonable location for truer reporting of actual intake air temps.

IAT4.jpg

After you clean up the burrs around the freshly drilled hole???....put a little armour-all or silicone spray on your rubber grommet and insert it in the newly drill location.

IAT5.jpg

Now???...You'll actually hafta carefully spin your IAT Sensor through the rubber grommet and when it clears the threads???...you'll actually "FEEL" the sensor pop into place as the rubber grommet seats into the senosors thread relief...with the sensor rubber mounted and very secure in it's new and far better home.

IAT6.jpg

Now we're gonna hop around a bit here and plug the airbox hole the sensor came out of....and using a gas/oil resitant silicon sealant squeeze a generous bead around the underside of the fasterners head/flange like so....

IAT7.jpg

Then simply but firmly push it up and into the same hole the IAT Sensor came out of then wipe away the excess silcon sealant and viola...the airbox is plugged.

IAT8.jpg

Next use black electrical tape and just wrap up a 2 wire mini harness using about 30"s of both 20ga Green and 20Ga Black stranded wire then strip the ends and connect the proper colors to the proper colors and route like so...

IAT9.jpg

Then hook up and tape up the other end using the stock IAT Sensors Plug then plug'er in!!!...

IAT11.jpg

Then???...starter up...warmer up...adjust the idle...then button'er up and Viola!!!...Your IAT Sensor is happily relocated and the next time you and your busa are stuck in a hot traffic jam???....You can smile with confidence at the hours time and $10 spent...Relocating Your IAT Sensor.

L8R, Bill.

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111547092 -->

now THAT"S what I call good Information followed by a true Step By Step! Dang Nice work Bill... Thanks. That will be the Sunday after Easter's project! Jr and mama will be ridiing "Thomas the Tank Engine" and Daddy will be fixing his Scooter! Between this fix, changing the H2O sensor and installing the two containers of Engine Ice that should cure my heating problem! If not i know what fan I need to get
tounge.gif
MAN I LOVE THIS BOARD!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Thanks for taking the time to do this so clearly. Man, this place is a great resource....

beerchug.gif

Nice effort on the demo pics.

I have seen this mod on several sites and have been meaning to do it myself.

Looks like you used crimps in there. Only thing I would have done different was solder and heat shrink for that 100% reliability.

Good job!
wink.gif

You very sure it works
rock.gif

Im lil scared when I have to change stuff like that on Elenor!

Excellent info, excellent presentation. Fear not Shenoyp, he is right on the money. It may look complicated because he provided such detailed instructions, but it is actually very simple and very effective. We're only talking extending two wires, drilling a new hole and plugging the old one.

Ya'll are very welcome and I'm more than happy to be of service...I'm a 46 year old machinist/fabricator who began riding dirt at 14 and streets at 16. I've been a member of the ZRXOA for 5 years and a member of the FZ1OA for 4 years.

Internet motorcycle message boards are what you make them...and if you only lurk and take and never post or give they never amount to much.

I've lusted after the Mighty Busa since it came out in '99..now I finally own one. L8R, Bill.
biggrin.gif

Hahahahahaha you bike does not overheat because of that.
And YOUR GUAGE WILL NOT SAY OVERHEAT,if it does you have other problems.
Nice way to scare memebers for no reason. :rolleyes:
what did you do go look at old post from back in 99-00 to find that old fix to fool the computer?
but then again you also believe in fooling the ecu by using a TRE.
The reason for this mod was because the old PC2's fooled this sensor and thus maps would be messed up. anything after 01 didn't need this mod and it was only for bikes that was tring to get the max hp out of it.

What next Jinkster? you going to find the old mod about stacks and think you are smart???

<!--EDIT|Johnnycheese
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111588663 -->

Hahahahahaha you bike does not overheat because of that.
And YOUR GUAGE WILL NOT SAY OVERHEAT,if it does you have other problems.
Nice way to scare memebers for no reason. :rolleyes:
what did you do go look at old post from back in 99-00 to find that old fix to fool the computer?
but then again you also believe in fooling the ecu by using a TRE.
The reason for this mod was because the old PC2's fooled this sensor and thus maps would be messed up. anything after 01 didn't need this mod and it was only for bikes that was tring to get the max hp out of it.

What next Jinkster? you going to find the old mod about stacks and think you are smart???
Wow Johnny....what's behind that outburst???

The logic behind this mod is sound...never said I invented it....just took some pics to help others out who may want to preform the same...or is it you who dictates what they can and can't do with their busa's???

What would you have them do Johnny???...add fans???...manual fan switchews?
rock.gif
....to help drain their batteries and charging systems???....or???....change out thermostates???...like a dog chasing it's tail???

Or...simply fix the root cause???

Sorry...but you weren't very nice to me either...which imho was very wrong of you..especially on my first week here.

But my oh my...my chum certainly appears to have brought the big fish to the top.
laugh.gif

I certainly hope we can get along better in the future Johnny and...

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|JINKSTER
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111591199 -->

Thankyou very much for this information Jinkster.

Don't be discouraged by one criticism. It really means nothing.

Not all of us have owned a busa for years or been a participant here. How could we already know unless someone brings this stuff to our attention.

Great info Jinkster. Glad for your help. Even if this doesn't solve the problem as Johnny seems to think, I don't understand why, info technically sound to me, what's 10 bucks, 20 min. of time going to hurt? Then we know on a more sound basis Something More Is Wrong!
Again, thanks.
Please keep this post around for a few. I need to copy information.

I'm an old hand at bikes but a bit of a newbie in BusaLand here as I just got mine last week so forgive me if this has already been covered or is in the wrong forum but just something I wanted to offer/share here.

It has come to my attention through one of my many learned cohorts that the Busa's IAT (Intake Air Temperature) Sensor is somewhat poorly located as stock whereby in it's stock location is inserted in the underside of the airboxes left side and is located but an inch or so directly above the rear portion of the engines valve cover....

The Claim???....when caught in high heat summertime traffic jams the fairing keeps the heat entrapped on the now not moving bike and the IAT Sensors metal base (which is located in a very hot spot near the engines valve cover) begins to get saturated with heat rising from the valve cover and the IAT Sensor begins giving the ECU "Irroneousely High Temperature Reports"...and in turn???...the ECU begins compensating the fuel map to accomodate the irroneous high temps...."LEANER"...which causes the engine to run even HOTTER yet...in a viscouse circle until....your temp gauge says..."Pull Over".

IAT1.jpg

IAT2.jpg

To remove the IAT Sensor simply depress the locking tab to unplug the connector and spin it out with a 19mm open end wrench.

Next???...I found that with a considerable amount of insertion pressure that a 27/64ths auto panel fastener fits and plugs the 12mm x 1.50 threaded hole in the airbox just dandy (good luck finding a 12mm x 1.50 bolt) and a 7/16ths ID Rubber Grommet is just the ticket to hold the the IAT Sensor in it's new found home....read on....

IAT3.jpg

Next???...install a 9/16ths hole for your 7/16ths ID rubber grommet in the top of the left ram air duct just behind your left directional...this location gets the IAT Sensor away from the direct engine heat and out in front of the engines radiator in a much more reasonable location for truer reporting of actual intake air temps.

IAT4.jpg

After you clean up the burrs around the freshly drilled hole???....put a little armour-all or silicone spray on your rubber grommet and insert it in the newly drill location.

IAT5.jpg

Now???...You'll actually hafta carefully spin your IAT Sensor through the rubber grommet and when it clears the threads???...you'll actually "FEEL" the sensor pop into place as the rubber grommet seats into the senosors thread relief...with the sensor rubber mounted and very secure in it's new and far better home.

IAT6.jpg

Now we're gonna hop around a bit here and plug the airbox hole the sensor came out of....and using a gas/oil resitant silicon sealant squeeze a generous bead around the underside of the fasterners head/flange like so....

IAT7.jpg

Then simply but firmly push it up and into the same hole the IAT Sensor came out of then wipe away the excess silcon sealant and viola...the airbox is plugged.

IAT8.jpg

Next use black electrical tape and just wrap up a 2 wire mini harness using about 30"s of both 20ga Green and 20Ga Black stranded wire then strip the ends and connect the proper colors to the proper colors and route like so...

IAT9.jpg

Then hook up and tape up the other end using the stock IAT Sensors Plug then plug'er in!!!...

IAT11.jpg

Then???...starter up...warmer up...adjust the idle...then button'er up and Viola!!!...Your IAT Sensor is happily relocated and the next time you and your busa are stuck in a hot traffic jam???....You can smile with confidence at the hours time and $10 spent...Relocating Your IAT Sensor.

L8R, Bill.

Is that the most efficent place to place the IAT? What about putting a switch on the TEMP SENSOR, As well as placing a second fan to come on same time stock fan comes on? aka a gsx1000 or gsx750 fan? as well as placing new sensors with the stock and the new fan, honda has a sensor which will make it come on sooner. Would this not surfice as well? Along with maybe a better more efficent place for the IAT than this mod shows or is this most efficent?

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111597706 -->

IAT1.jpg

IAT2.jpg

IAT3.jpg

IAT4.jpg

IAT5.jpg

IAT6.jpg

IAT7.jpg

IAT8.jpg

IAT9.jpg

IAT11.jpg

L8R, Bill.

Is that the most efficent place to place the IAT? What about putting a switch on the TEMP SENSOR, As well as placing a second fan to come on same time stock fan comes on? aka a gsx1000 or gsx750 fan? as well as placing new sensors with the stock and the new fan, honda has a sensor which will make it come on sooner. Would this not surfice as well? Along with maybe a better more efficent place for the IAT than this mod shows or is this most efficent?
Hayabusa Knight....

Is it the most efficient place???...he11...I dunno...but it seems to be the most logical as it's forward of the high heat of the radiator and engine yet far enough back (and up) in the ductwork to be out of the "direct line of sight" of the ram airs intake...works for me...and..

My thoughts here regarding adding fans and temp switches is this....if you can eliminate the root cause of the excessive heat with a simple relocation of the IAT Sensor???...then why laden your electrical system down with extra fans and manual switches???

The metal base of the IAT Sensor is exposed to some very high heat rising but a short distance away from the rear of the engines valve cover..and is mounted in an area that actually entraps the engines heat..until the IAT Sensor itself becomes "Saturated With The Engine Residual Heat"...in an enclosed area...just above and behind the engine...not good.

Next the IAT Sensor irroneously inform the ecu that the intake air temps have risen...when in fact they have not...the sensor just got hot...but it gets worse..cause next???...the ecu compensates the fuel map to accomodate the ficticiously reported intake air temps...and "LEANS OUT THE AF Ratio"..making the engine run even leaner and hotter yet.

If I was going to add a fan???...it would be installed in such a fashion as to try an cool down the freaking overheated IAT Sensor!!!
laugh.gif

But I believe there's a far easier and less expensive remedy...which I've shared pix of the installation here...in an effort to be an asset to this board and it's members..even if I am a Busa Newbie!!!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

laugh.gif

good points thanks.

One other thing can it be placed behind airbox to pre\otrude horizonally inwards behing the virtical piece to the right of your hand here?

IAT2.jpg

This way being in the back of the airbox would mean it is out of the way from the heat upfront.

<!--EDIT|HayaBusa Knight
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111602192 -->

Jinkster, i like your idea and will probly do it myself. I thought of another option, how about insulating the the bottom of the sensor in the stock location till i can do the "Jinkster Mod"
biggrin.gif

You think it might work?
I've also contemplated using heat wrap on my header to help the oil/rad cooler.

I am hesistant to move a sensor that was placed there by the engineers that designed the bike.

If there is a problem with the IAT sensor causing the bike to "overheat" you think it would have been addressed by Suzuki?

I have had no issues with my bike overheating - if your temp guage is maxing out maybe a Muzzy cooling fan and a coolant flush are what you need.

Just my .02

<!--EDIT|macbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1111602018 -->

Back