How to DIY 1999 2000 Step-By-Step Fuel Pump Filter replacement (no more cutting out!)

Re: How to DIY 1999 2000 Step-By-Step Fuel Pump Filter replacement (no more cutting o

Should be 3/8" as that's what size the fuel line is when I replaced it. What inline filter you going to go with?
What fuel line did you go with? Stock or from auto parts store?
I bought stock fuel lines and I want to put a fuel filter before the pump but I think the stock fuel line may not work right if I put in an inline filter. I've read where people use a different fuel line and make it longer to make it work right without being kinked when you put the tank down.

Re: How to DIY 1999 2000 Step-By-Step Fuel Pump Filter replacement (no more cutting o

I intend to buy fuel line from the auto store. Intend to put the inline fuel filter just before the fuel pump.

Hey, What a fantastic write up and with great pics. I'm doing this and cleaning my injectors. Thanks alot man.

Glad it helped...but I'm finding out I have to do this yearly...I heard that the bushings on the 99 pump motors grind themselves up, and that's actually what clogs the filters, not gunk from the fuel or tank. Someday I want to replace the pump, I heard they solved the bushing broken on the newer pumps (I think)...

Thanks for the info. I plan on removing the fuel pump on my 2000 for inspection and this post is a great help. Thank you

Finally got to removing the f/p assembly on my 00. Blew through the primary screen assembly without removing it and it was fine. The filter assembly was another story. Definitely had excessive resistance. Inspected the small pea size screen on the filter housing and it was like new. Will change the filter & f/p for good measure. Now to find the parts. Any suggestions?

I have been completely through this procedure and I have upgraded the stock fuel pump to the one sold by Hamilton motorsports last year. The bike needs an external secondary filter at minimum. The bike still cut out after I replaced EVERYTHING! ( due to poor design of gravity fed fuel system.) All hoses were replaced, filters, etc. The mesh screen that holds the fuel pump is no longer being sold, I had to reuse my old one.

The cheap and effective solution to 1999/2000 is to add a secondary low pressure fuel pump ( 3-4 PSI) to keep the entire fuel system under prime. total cost with pump and fittings. about $50

Here is the link to the thread:

http://https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=173676&p=3060285#post3060285

BB

Looked at your link. Looks easy enough. Thank you

Ike,

The modification cost me a fair bit in mechanic's fees so I am passing it on for free; Boats use a similar solution where the motor is higher than the fuel pump and is very common.

BB

Found a new fuel pump for $58. Ordered the stock filter from the stealership for $51. May install a primary pump along with another filter. Can't wait to get back on the road.

Installed a new pump and filter and she no longer sounds like she's gonna die at idle. As if she was starving for fuel at idle. Now it seems at idle and when I'm 1st taking off it's jumpy but smooth right out.. As if she has an intermittent miss. ONLY at idle and take off... Before I took her apart for the f/p change it ran a little unsteady at idle. Now after the repair it's worse. No longer sounds like it's going to stall but she idles rough, but definitely not a dead miss. Bike has under 11k miles, and when I took her apart everything was surprisingly clean. Like new clean.. Thinking maybe an intermittently stuck injector... Has anyone ever used injector cleaner? If so what brand..?

Almost forgot. My bike has a full yosh race pipe and the stock ecm has been re mapped. Also running a k/n air filter and have a TRE. All the work was done when the bike was new. I am going to check the plugs on her cause I know she's been running rich since the pipe and mapping. Plugs may be the problem.

My baby is back! Found number 4 coil loose. Practically fell off the plug. Removed and inspected it. The connection was a bit dirty/corroded from being loose. The other 3 were fine. Cleaned it up using contact cleaner and made sure the coil fit the plug nice and snug. Put it back together with new plugs and it started and idled beautifully. Took her on a test ride and was very happy. Success...

Compliments IKE, I'm happy for Your success,

Couldn't You deep tell us what Your do for solve and precisely where is the problem?

loose coil with spark plug or loose coil with the electrical connection?

thanks for explain

Mark

Sorry about that mark. It was a loose coil to spark plug problem. Coil was definitely not snapped onto the spark plug all the way if any at all. Funny thing is the plugs never been replaced. Probably was never on all the way from the factory. The electrical connection going to the coil was fine Mark.

I did this to my 99 Busa and bought the fuel pump from Hamiltons-Motorsport from Ebay, the pump needed some mods to fit right in but my bike runs much better now and i dont have the problems i had before (loosing power when it was hot outside and problems with starting my baby when it was running hot)

Next thing i gonna do is clean my injectors with some carb clean/break cleaner and upgrade my hoses :)

I did this to my 99 Busa and bought the fuel pump from Hamiltons-Motorsport from Ebay, the pump needed some mods to fit right in but my bike runs much better now and i dont have the problems i had before (loosing power when it was hot outside and problems with starting my baby when it was running hot)

The Hamilton Motorsports pump does not need any modification to fit into stock housing unless the fuel pump holder has got swollen from the ethanol.

Just got done cleaning the filters/screens on my '99, this writeup was a great help. Also replaced the fuel lines and added an inline filter.

Biggest issue I had was on reassembly, getting the filter retainer back in on the injector side. That o-ring would not stay put! I wound up making a sleeve out of a soda can that worked something like a piston ring compressor to slide the retainer and o-ring into the bore without pinching the ring. First shot, slid right in.

Also ground a slot in the petcock looking valve on the bottom of the tank so I can turn it with a screwdriver. 1/4 turn (halfway between stops) and it cuts the fuel flow. Less fuel all over the place.

Beasty starts pretty much instantly now, and that happy low rumble I fell in love with years ago is much smoother. Smooth idle, and no hesitation on rev. I'm happy.

wbcbid.jpg

I took off part of the FI side to clear the small mesh screen and I found this rubber plug (the little hat looking thing) fit into the mesh screen. It was smashed between the o-ring and into the mesh screen hole.

When I look on the microfiche it's not show anywhere. What the heck? Any ideas?

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-36.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-39.jpg

photo_2018-01-21_15-16-40.jpg

Back