How to deal with a tank slapper...

Thanks.

Had my share of tank slappers and high speed weaves with the older/earlier japanese bikes. Makes you appreciate how solid and predictable the 'Busa is.

Good article. Always wondered what a tank-slapper is.

--Wag--

great info BT. Thanks bro.
smile.gif

I'm surprized it did'nt talk about doing wheelies and landing with the wheel slightly turn - I see the stunt vids and the yhave some bad slappers and then just crash all because the frt wheel was turned when they landed.

Pat

I must ad-- Years ago on my 900 Ninja i had an amazing tank slapper incident---bumpy interstate-
double nickle in those day's---I looked around--nobody around--and wicked it up to around 100 mph
suddenly the bars went stop to stop--[scary] The first thing i did was shut off the throttle--no help
then some rear brake--no help--then thirdly--pulled in the clutch---Viola--instant stoppage of scary incident...unloaded the front tire--plus the relaxing the grip is the way to go.....Like Keith Code say's----Even when going scary fast the bike demands a light touch on the bars...hard to do but important. Hope this helps.
rock.gif

Does anyone run a steering damper on the Busa?  I always hear that it doesn;t need one, but....

Just curious.
The Busa has a steering damper as standard,and it does need it if you ride the busa the way it should be rode.
When the Busa decides to tankslap,it is like a raging bull.
You need to be calm and say your prayers to control it.
I have experienced a few tankslappers on my busa, I ride on Irish roads which are not too smooth.
I honestly could not say how I got the busa under control each time, I don,t think about what to do, I just do something right. You don,t get time to think on narrow roads.

Back