Tank slapper kit

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
Just put one of those tank slapper kits on the bike. You know, those clear sheets that lets the color of the bike come through but keeps the scratch off. ANYWAYS--I can't get the air bubbles out of it. I've sprayed the tank with water and used a small squeege like the directions say. I've had it on and off 3 times. LOOKS LIKE SHID!!!! Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong?

i wet the tank and the tank slapper. then line up and squeege. start from the middle and work your way to the edge. mine had only a few tiny bubbles i couldnt work out and they are barely noticable when dry.

the key to instal these things is get a spachela (sp) from the kitchen and take the rubber end off. You can use anything that is flexiable but work from the inside out.

Don't be affraid to apply a little pressure. Go in a clock wise direction and work it out. Add just a little soap to your water mix. Just a little drop.

Rumage through the kitchen and you will find something that will work. It takes a little doing but looks great when you are finished.

hogger...

I did the full kit when my bike was new. If you follow their instructions you should be fine. I wound up using a mix of about 70:30 (H20:Alcohol) and a few drops of dish soap. Went right on. You need to make sure the surface is aniseptically clean before you start. If your bike is cold it will make the job harder as it impedes the vinyl form forming as easily. I wound up warming the area a bit with a hair dryer to help. Since I put em on I have buggered up a couple of them on the tank and replaced them with thicker Vinyl "Roll Glass" that is used in Boat canvas. It is a lot thicker for better protection and goes on almost as easily. I also made one for the front of my hump as my textile jacket was tearing up the face of it on the highway.

It is a same technique as you put a window tinting, actually bit easier than tinting...alot of spray water and start with and if you drop of dish washing soap in the water will be better...and line up the stickers and start squeeze out the bubbles from the center and out...shouldn't be that hard...
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the advise. I took 'em off again yesterday and tried it again. This time I put a couple of drops of DAWN in the water and it seemed to really make a difference. I think I have it this time. I was getting so frustrated I was ready to rip the sucker off the bike and toss it!!!!!

I did the full kit when my bike was new. If you follow their instructions you should be fine. I wound up using a mix of about 70:30 (H20:Alcohol) and a few drops of dish soap. Went right on. You need to make sure the surface is aniseptically clean before you start. If your bike is cold it will make the job harder as it impedes the vinyl form forming as easily. I wound up warming the area a bit with a hair dryer to help. Since I put em on I have buggered up a couple of them on the tank and replaced them with thicker Vinyl "Roll Glass" that is used in Boat canvas. It is a lot thicker for better protection and goes on almost as easily. I also made one for the front of my hump as my textile jacket was tearing up the face of it on the highway.
Were did you get this "roll glass' stuff? I was thinking of putting something on the back of the hump too, but couldn't find anything. Thanks

Were did you get this "roll glass' stuff? I was thinking of putting something on the back of the hump too, but couldn't find anything. Thanks
I actually work at a boat Manufacturer so I get it from work. But it should be pretty readily available at sporting goods stores or fabric stores. It is a clear PVC material made specifically for marine use. Works good for the back of the tank and the front of the hump. IT iis much thicker than the Tankslapper material, but I was looking for that.
Heres a link to a place in seattle that sells it online.

http://www.perfectfit.com/product....282&l2=

Back