How much oil from Clutch Cover?

BlueHaya

I'm outta here!!!!
Donating Member
Registered
I was wonderng how much oil I would need to drain to get the clutch cover off with the bike upright on stands. I just changed oil ($40) and hate to drain it out.....and I am sceptical on putting oil once removed back in. I know it can be done, but I am worried about contaminats while the bike is down. If I only had to drain a quart or 2 I could put it in a bottle till I need to add it back, but if I have to drain it all.......new oil.

thanks

Someone told me that it was minimal oil. Well that wasn't the case the last time I took it off. There was well over a quart that dumped out when I took it off. I had just recently changed the oil though.

if its left on side stand wont be really any at all .. On stands im not to sure.

Thanks guys.....if no one else has a better answer I will go with 2 quarts and hope for the best:cheerleader:

on stands you will loose everthing but whats left in the pan maybe a quart. if you leave it on the kickstand a few drops will come out.

you will not loose much if the bike oil level is filled properly.. (less than a quart) if the bike is on a rear stand and spools, if you have it on the side stand, even less

.....ok:whistle:

sorry.. didnt mean to start the "oil" debate all over again.:laugh:

I get that very little if on sidestand...I think all can agree on that.:thumbsup:

But i will have mine of front and rear stands.....so maybe 2 + quarts....what's the pan hold? Would I be better on just the rear stand and not the front...or would that matter?

I have 4 quarts in it.

I just leave mine sitting flat on the ground (wheel chock on the bike hoist) if you look at the sight glass and the returns behind the clutch basket, you will see that there is not much oil that can come out unless it is over filled.. it is not very hard to over fill these things..

southern is right if you are on the side stand (after letting it sit for awhile) it will only loose a very little

.....ok:whistle:

sorry.. didnt mean to start the "oil" debate all over again.:laugh:

I get that very little if on sidestand...I think all can agree on that.:thumbsup:

But i will have mine of front and rear stands.....so maybe 2 + quarts....what's the pan hold? Would I be better on just the rear stand and not the front...or would that matter?

I have 4 quarts in it.

if you do it...measure it...

Mine took 4.5 quarts with a cooler on it to get it into the upper window.

I am betting you are right...2+ quarts if the bike is upright..it will be more if only on a rear stand I bet.

never did it...interesting to have a some what accurate measurement.

70 ounces is enough...could be less. which boils down to just under 2 1/4 quarts.

When I removed my cover none spilt out.....so 2 quarts possibly could cover it?...or the 1/4 quart is just the extra that is needed?:laugh:

Last edited:
Why don't you just drain out a quart into a clean receptacle, do the work, and then refill it ?. Just curious....

put a small piece of a 2 X 4 under the back tire, lean the bike on the kickstand and you can take the cover off any time without loosing any oil.

put a small piece of a 2 X 4 under the back tire, lean the bike on the kickstand and you can take the cover off any time without loosing any oil.

Good call. I will have try this next time.
Have you done it this way with sucess.

Back