OIL DRAIN PLUG

rc51ny

Donating Member
Registered
So, I'm changing the oil on my new '08 and for the life of me, I can't get the crush washer off the drain plug. I even bent the tip of a little screw driver trying to get it off. So, tell me--what's the secret? BTW-I put the drain plug back in and nothing leaked!!

when I changed my oil for the first time I had the same problem, I ended up being able to unscrew it a small amount with my fingernails, then applied vicelock pliers and with a socket and wrench unscrewed it off the drain plug, I tried the flat head screwdriver first and bent it so reusing it was not an option

dremel and carefully cut it off.
beerchug.gif

The dremel comment scares me. use channellock pliers or side cutters, and replace it with the aluminum ones honda uses, even honda car dealers use them on drain plugs, my accord takes the same one as my 'busa!

In the past I have always used a vise grip and just backed it of the drain plug like it was a nut. The trick is getting it on the threads to do that.
Honestly after about 5 oil changes I never replaced that thing anyway. Still seals the same way, never had any problems. I'm sure I'll get everyones opinion about that!

Why would you want to cut that off
twist, pry, poke, peel, cut... what ever you have to do to get it off... it is supposed to be changed every time you pull the plug. I didnt have one to replace once and it leaked. I had to wait a week for the dealership to get some in and replace it... of course I lost about 3/4 of a quart of oil to. I learned the hard way. Always replace the crush washer on the drain plug.

In close to 100k of riding on 3 different bikes, I have never once replaced a crush washer. And, I've never once had any of those bikes leak a drop. What's different about the Hayabusa?

In close to 100k of riding on 3 different bikes, I have never once replaced a crush washer. And, I've never once had any of those bikes leak a drop. What's different about the Hayabusa?
guess your lucky... me, not so much...
I wasn't trying to be a smartass, really.
winkold.gif
Just wondered if there was in fact a difference in the plug or washer on the Hayabusa that would explain the need for replacement on every oil change.

Changing mine today--I'll man up and report back if I have leakage.

Nvr had an issue with oil leakage either.

Back