How many miles before rebuilt

Husky

Registered
Hey guys, I have a chance to buy a Busa that has 19,000 miles. Just wondering how many miles do you guys have on your engines and still run at the truck with decent times or do you rebuild before they hit this many miles

~65,000 miles original engine and transmission. Sees some track, some aggressive street ridingm, and some touring.

Stock motor, never been sprayed and second gear isn't toast, leave it. If its been sprayed I'd put valve springs in it and call it a day!
Posted via Mobile Device

I disagree. Do a leakdown on any used bike you buy or consider buying. That will tell you the condition of the head and rings. You may also want to drop the pan and / or cut the filter and look for wear on mains and rods. I wouldn't pull apart a healthy motor for no reason, but waiting for one to spin a rod is stupid. Motors can go soft in a 1000 miles if they are raced hard even if well maintained. I've never had a street bike motor last 3k miles, never mind 19k. Depends how its ridden.

+1 :beerchug:
in the least check the compression for all cyl. and see if they're all relatively close. Leakdown will tell you much more.
I disagree. Do a leakdown on any used bike you buy or consider buying. That will tell you the condition of the head and rings. You may also want to drop the pan and / or cut the filter and look for wear on mains and rods. I wouldn't pull apart a healthy motor for no reason, but waiting for one to spin a rod is stupid. Motors can go soft in a 1000 miles if they are raced hard even if well maintained. I've never had a street bike motor last 3k miles, never mind 19k. Depends how its ridden.

Back