How many miles before change to syn. oil?

dr.nick

Registered
Changing to Amsoil after break-in,how many miles do most guys run before they change to a full Syn. oil??? THX ED

I'll be right around 2k when I change. Did my initial service a little late :whistle: at the dealership. Had I done it myself it would already be in there.

3,000 is the rule we use, you want to make sure everything is seated before you switch.

I did mine at 2000 miles. i went to mobil one silver. 15/50 works good for me

Last edited:
there are a few myth's floating around the internet, your rings will not seat if you dont ring your bike out when its new and if you dont wait 2000 miles before going synthetic. here is another one, ask them what they pay for insurance, I bet its far less than what we pay.

wee

there are a few myth's floating around the internet, your rings will not seat if you dont ring your bike out when its new and if you dont wait 2000 miles before going synthetic. here is another one, ask them what they pay for insurance, I bet its far less than what we pay.

wee

I don't understand your point.

I agree, my Duc came with synthetic in it and the owners manual says to only ever run synthetic. I had no problem seating those rings.

my point is, you can go synthetic at any mileage, synthetic oil will "not" keep a new motor from breaking in properly, :rofl:

wee

I wonder why Kawi Honda Yami Suzki and Polaris tell us not to run the synthetics tell after break in?

my point is, you can go synthetic at any mileage, synthetic oil will "not" keep a new motor from breaking in properly, :rofl:

wee
Hmm and who says synthetic oil will not affect the breakin on a motor?

This is and always has been highly dependent on the motor itself..

Most motor builders wont touch any synthetic for at least 1500 miles for a miriade of reasons... Factory motors on the other hand are pretty "insensitive" to the synthetic blends...

Point being there is no "set" answer.. and so calling it a "Internet Myth" is inaccurate..

Sort of like the "EXPERT" that says run the wheels off your new motor... also a bad idea, heat cycles and power cycles need provided to a new motor but going out and "Flogging" a brand new motor is not very bright...

Rings incidentally are seated at the factory during the motor run in (they put every motor on the dyno that goes in a busa) The coatings used today on cylinder walls and rings are extremely high tech..

anyway, I would wait at least 3000 miles myself (and I did)

I agree, my Duc came with synthetic in it and the owners manual says to only ever run synthetic. I had no problem seating those rings.
do they happen to suggest "Duc Brand" oil?

Like posted above, they may "run in" their motors as well.. They may also have an additive package designed for their motors.. (custom blended oils are not at all uncommon)

Hmm and who says synthetic oil will not affect the breakin on a motor?

This is and always has been highly dependent on the motor itself..

Most motor builders wont touch any synthetic for at least 1500 miles for a miriade of reasons... Factory motors on the other hand are pretty "insensitive" to the synthetic blends...

Point being there is no "set" answer.. and so calling it a "Internet Myth" is inaccurate..

Sort of like the "EXPERT" that says run the wheels off your new motor... also a bad idea, heat cycles and power cycles need provided to a new motor but going out and "Flogging" a brand new motor is not very bright...

Rings incidentally are seated at the factory during the motor run in (they put every motor on the dyno that goes in a busa) The coatings used today on cylinder walls and rings are extremely high tech..

anyway, I would wait at least 3000 miles myself (and I did)
sounds Bogus Mr!:D yes you dont see many motoman breakin methods for Vettes or Porsches.

wee

do they happen to suggest "Duc Brand" oil?

Like posted above, they may "run in" their motors as well.. They may also have an additive package designed for their motors.. (custom blended oils are not at all uncommon)

No actually, they recommend amsoil or silkolene pro 4 plus. I also thought I would check on a pre-delivery break in or run-in with a different oil or a special blend. Nope. They use a top quality synthetic and only recommend that I do the same and provide a list of recommended brands, amsoil and silkolene are the two top recommendations. My Mercedes also came from the factory with synthetic oil and they recommend only ever using synthetic. Mobil 1 Ow50 was stock and still in use. I would say that Mercedes Benz and Ducati are top quality engine builders and considering the 1098 is the highest HP and Torque factory v-twin ever produced that their recommendations for oil use is thoroughly researched.

No actually, they recommend amsoil or silkolene pro 4 plus. I also thought I would check on a pre-delivery break in or run-in with a different oil or a special blend. Nope. They use a top quality synthetic and only recommend that I do the same and provide a list of recommended brands, amsoil and silkolene are the two top recommendations. My Mercedes also came from the factory with synthetic oil and they recommend only ever using synthetic. Mobil 1 Ow50 was stock and still in use. I would say that Mercedes Benz and Ducati are top quality engine builders and considering the 1098 is the highest HP and Torque factory v-twin ever produced that their recommendations for oil use is thoroughly researched.
You know that most higher end motors are thoroughly "run-in" on dynos before they ever get installed? So not too surprising that there is not real break in period.. Wish they all did that, would end a lot of headaches for sure...

On top of that, you spend that kind of money on a machine, they have the funds for quality control and tighter build specifications.. Again, there is no "blanket" answer for oil when working across the broad spectrum.. Also your Duc has a dry clutch? could be a big factor in oil selections..

All Busa motors are "run-in" for a short period and they have to fall inside a window for output or they are rejected..

If I paid the princely sum for a Duc, it better have something built in to justify the cost.. comfort sure aint it for me... (I rode a 1098, fun as it was, no way I could ride that thing all day, and the clutch noise? )

Last edited:
My mechanic says wait until the 7,500 service for proper break-in and to change the oil every 2,000 miles (from new to 7,500)

Just called the dealership, They said wait at least 3000+ miles. I've got about 2000 on the ODO. They call all brands including Amsoil. It seems like if they were trying to make an extra buck (which they normally do) they would tell me to come on in, instead of waiting another 1500+ miles?

What:newbie: do you guys think?

Last edited:
from beginning to end I only run full synth. but that's me.

ooohhh what a big ol' can of worms each time an oil thread pops up. :moon:

Back