How Low Can I Gear And Still Do 200 Mph?

That might do it but it will be a little less lively at lower rpm and I could already use some livening up. I'd rather leave front 18 and see what I could do with the rear because the rear is so much easier to change.

Buy a 46 tooth rear sprocket!
Going up 3 teeth makes a huge difference in fun factor.
The rpm's only increase around 600, stock tach, what rpm actually is...who cares. Point being, it's not enough to make it bad.
It moves the rpm alot closer to where the power starts to come on.
You know what I mean. You twist it wide open from idle, you're movin, but you know when the power really comes on. Right there.
With Ecu Editor or flash, it's even better. The top end is still there too.
175mph ish is great cruising any time. If you really want 200mph, you have to change sprockets anyway.
A 46t flashed, piped, stock wheel base Busa is awesome to play on.
Roll on burn outs, 4th gear power wheelies. Mine would pull the tire at least 6" at 100+mph, letting off and snapping throttle wide open, in 4th.
Impressive for 500+ lbs and 180hp.
Like a big, fat 1k with alot of torque.
Stock, the Busa wheelies easy. It just floats into place.
With these changes, lol, you just rip it up.
It's what? $75-$150 for a rear sprocket, depending on brand and material. And 10 extra minutes at your next tire change to find out.
Live a little, go be a hooligan.

That might do it but it will be a little less lively at lower rpm and I could already use some livening up. I'd rather leave front 18 and see what I could do with the rear because the rear is so much easier to change.

The rpm's only increase around 600, stock tach, what rpm actually is...who cares. Point being, it's not enough to make it bad.
It moves the rpm alot closer to where the power starts to come on.
You know what I mean. You twist it wide open from idle, you're movin, but you know when the power really comes on. Right there.
With Ecu Editor or flash, it's even better. The top end is still there too.
175mph ish is great cruising any time. If you really want 200mph, you have to change sprockets anyway.
A 46t flashed, piped, stock wheel base Busa is awesome to play on.
Roll on burn outs, 4th gear power wheelies. Mine would pull the tire at least 6" at 100+mph, letting off and snapping throttle wide open, in 4th.
Impressive for 500+ lbs and 180hp.
Like a big, fat 1k with alot of torque.
Stock, the Busa wheelies easy. It just floats into place.
With these changes, lol, you just rip it up.
It's what? $75-$150 for a rear sprocket, depending on brand and material. And 10 extra minutes at your next tire change to find out.
Live a little, go be a hooligan.

The rpm's only increase around 600, stock tach, what rpm actually is..

3000 rpm through 11000, a 400-600 increase in rpm makes the bike more snappy without turning it into a stunt motorcycle.

You got me thinkin, sixpack...rpm increases approximately 600 with +3. That's about where I want it. I'd say +4 on the Gen1 zx-14 brings it up about 500 rpm and I like that. Looking at the primary drive ratios of the Gen1 zx-14 and the busa on gearingcommander, they are nearly identical. The busa's sprockets are just designed more for speed and with the few extra ft lbs of torque the busa has, that compensates for taller gearing at low speed. I have not checked the stock sprocket ratio for the Gen2 zx-14 but I would guess it is more like the busa because of the higher torque.

If the Gen1 zx-14 and the Gen2 busa have such similar primary gearing, I think changing the sprocket gearing will have a similar effect on both. Having more torque, the busa is always going to be a bit more punchy down low but as far as the revs go, it should go something like the following list which I have gathered from gearingcommander. See, +4 on the rear won't kill you any easier than stock but careful with those first gear wheelies!

75.75 mph with 18T front, 47T rear sprockets

1st gear +936 rpm @ 11,000 rpm

2nd gear +694 rpm @8149 rpm

3rd gear +546 rpm @ 6419 rpm

4th gear +460 rpm @ 5407 rpm

5th gear +406 rpm @ 4779 rpm

6th gear +374 rpm @ 4389 rpm

1st gear at 55 mph is +680 rpm @ 7987 rpm

1st gear at 40 mph is +506 rpm @ 5808 rpm

1st gear at 25 mph is +309 rpm @ 3630 rpm

1st gear at 10 mph is +121 rpm @ 1452 rpm

**cruising at 60 mph with 18:47 sprockets runs just under 3500 rpm which is right where the busa likes to be. With the shorter gearing though, I think 3500 rpm will not seem quite as necessary for cruising as it does with stock gearing...but I don't tour anymore anyway.

Last edited:
i went -1 front and -1 rear. If I ever get to a land speed event where i want to do 200 i can swap the front out for the stock one and be able (theoretically) to do 200. That was enough of a wake up for me (for now).
How do you like the -1 Front and -1 Rear.

I love it. I could see going +1 on rear from stock if I need to, first gear has plenty for me now. If I was drag racing I could see doing that.
I have a gen 2 stretched 4 inches. I'm down -1 in the front. I have a 42 tooth sprocket I'm thinking about putting on the rear. I'm basically 17/43 right now. I want to go 17/42

I want to tone down the RPM on the Highway just a Tad. I also have a Bazzaz Quick Shifter.

Difficult, how so?
Hi. You gear for what you want the bike to do. with a stock motor you would not want to use a 20 tooth front with a 38 tooth rear with over drive 5th and 6th gears with a 200/55 rear tire to run the 1/4 mile or for any thing. You need a lot of HP for that. If you can only run 148 in the 1/4 mile you gear for that. If you can run 225+ in the 1/4 mile you gear for that speed.

Hi. You gear for what you want the bike to do. with a stock motor you would not want to use a 20 tooth front with a 38 tooth rear with over drive 5th and 6th gears with a 200/55 rear tire to run the 1/4 mile or for any thing. You need a lot of HP for that. If you can only run 148 in the 1/4 mile you gear for that. If you can run 225+ in the 1/4 mile you gear for that speed.
Hi. I have a 18,19,20 front a 36,38, 43 and 45 rear a lower than stock 1st gear with over drive 5th and 6th gears. My wheel base is +6 inch to +12 inches.

This video is like
watching old people .

No racing ?

What is wrong
with you people ?

Laugh out loud *

Been riding motorcycles since the 1970 's ~ we are old people that know when to race *

IMG_1100.JPG

I will have you know @piratediverjefff might look ~ comfortable standing around in his pajamas . . .

He is not too old to pin it for a win when he needs to GO my hayabusa brother !

If you give up the hit to @c10 be prepared to see his bags !

Running up to 200 mph is not a joke *

Hope you all get there .

Red, *<(;{)-

:poke:

Back