How long before riding 2up?

when i was 18 i took a passenger out on a group get together up in the mountains, we stayed past dark, started drinking and rode home drunk in the dark on twistie mountain roads, without helmets or gear. I went off the road, hit a large rock, we both left our seats by about 2 feet, landed back on the bike, kept it upright, and continued home. the next morning i saw my front wheel was split down the middle. I rode the bike like that for the next several months then traded it (1980 something GS450) for a 1960 something dodge van, which i crashed after the breaks went out.

nearly 30 years later I'm still riding.

Moral of the story: $hit happens and when it's your time you go, until then, don't wish you had done something, just do it.
:beerchug:

when i was 18 i took a passenger out on a group get together up in the mountains, we stayed past dark, started drinking and rode home drunk in the dark on twistie mountain roads, without helmets or gear. I went off the road, hit a large rock, we both left our seats by about 2 feet, landed back on the bike, kept it upright, and continued home. the next morning i saw my front wheel was split down the middle. I rode the bike like that for the next several months then traded it (1980 something GS450) for a 1960 something dodge van, which i crashed after the breaks went out.

nearly 30 years later I'm still riding.

Moral of the story: $hit happens and when it's your time you go, until then, don't wish you had done something, just do it.
:beerchug:

It sounds like you're equating one night of drunken teenage stupidity with the value every day of your life since then. Is that about right?

If so, I think you're placing a bad influence on the whole situation. :2cents:

If I were your buddie, I'd have more sense than to want that responsibility or it on my conscience if she got hurt because he wasn't ready for a pillon. Is she going to have full gear on?

It sounds like you're equating one night of drunken teenage stupidity with the value every day of your life since then. Is that about right?

If so, I think you're placing a bad influence on the whole situation. :2cents:

Not really, just commenting on the nature of being.

Look at it this way... Someone who has been riding for 10 years may be a great rider, or he may have no skill and just suck. Maybe he has just gotten lucky for 10 years and never really needed to be skilled.

Someone who has been riding for 2 weeks... Well, they've been riding for two weeks. There is no way that person has developed enough skill within such a small amount experience to be responsible for the life of a passenger. At this point he is enough of a danger to himself alone. Carrying a passenger would show a complete lack of regard for the safety of that person.

Absolutely, no doubt that at the extreme low end, this is completely true. I guess I'm more curious about opinions regarding maybe 6 months to a year on up. I see a lot if discussion regarding years riding, but it doesn't always equate to experience. I've people talk about not being likely to finish the 1,200 miles that will wear out their oil life during the next 4 months, and others that ride 5k a month. I'm somewhere in between, right around 2k a month. That being said, regarding the original post, I just hot my endorsement this year, about 7 or 8 thousand miles so far, and I'm happy with my progress, but I don't think I'm quite ready to be taking a passenger, at the very least not on a trip like the one described.

I quit riding 2-up way back in 1975. Solo only for me. You want to go somewhere? Arrange your own ride, or we take the car.

this is midway thru my third season of riding, have never taken anyone 2up, dont plan on it any time soon either... probably why theres this weird hump on my bike instead of a seat

in a group ride things happen fast, slinky effect. does the girl know how to ride, be a passenger? If she does not, now you have 2 rookies and no experence. don't add any more people to the memorial ride you don't want to be next.

Can't stand the responsibility myself. Besides I cant come back with any interesting stories if I take the wife with me, and I just plain can't come back if I take anyone else:laugh:

I quit riding 2-up way back in 1975. Solo only for me. You want to go somewhere? Arrange your own ride, or we take the car.
I'm with you bro! I'm in my 42nd year in the saddle and still not ready to try the two up thingy! :whistle:

Well.. a 600cc "crotch rocket" as a first choice? So we already know he makes bad choices.

Anyway, simple answer, No. He does not have enough riding experience to carry a passenger. How long really depends on the individual, like anything else, people learn at different paces. But a few weeks is definitely not enough.

a 600 was my first street bike. its about the rider not the bike, ride at your own skill level ad take it easy. i went 2 up a week after i got my bike, my dad said i needed to know how it handled like 2up before i took someone who has never been on a bike out, so he got on and made me drive him around for 20 min. not the most fun i ever had but i lived. on a side note as i said it was my first street bike however i had started riding and racing dirt bikes at the age of 5, then snowmobiles and scowcross, jet ski's, and so on, even started racing 250cc street class. i feel a 250 is a better starter bike but just because you start on a 600 doesn't mean you a squid or that you will crash and burn.

a 600 was my first street bike. its about the rider not the bike, ride at your own skill level ad take it easy. i went 2 up a week after i got my bike, my dad said i needed to know how it handled like 2up before i took someone who has never been on a bike out, so he got on and made me drive him around for 20 min. not the most fun i ever had but i lived. on a side note as i said it was my first street bike however i had started riding and racing dirt bikes at the age of 5, then snowmobiles and scowcross, jet ski's, and so on, even started racing 250cc street class. i feel a 250 is a better starter bike but just because you start on a 600 doesn't mean you a squid or that you will crash and burn.

I like this...but i`m picturing my stepdad, 6`4" near 300 lbs...not happening:laugh:

edit to add- frog, maybe you could be a passenger for a bit and better answer the question yourself? just thinking

here is my thinking. alot of this depends on the skill of the passenger. if the passenger hasnt riden much and you mix in a new rider with that it is a recipe for disaster. i dont think three weeks is enough time to have been riding to be risking someone elses life but if you have a super experienced passenger on with you that really can help.

Thanks for all the input guys :thumbsup: Id been telling him he's not allowed to ride with a passenger yet when girls would come up and talk to us or ask for rides. Our friend said she was gonna ask him to take her on the benefit if she couldnt find someone else to take her.

So, Ill tell her NO! and keep telling him hes not allowed yet, or just throw his key in the river:whistle:

Back